Should I add an amp to my integrated amp? Why?

Username: Chocolateman

Post Number: 1
I have an NAD C-372 integrated amp that runs a pair of B&W 703s. My CD player is a Rotel 1072. I was thinking about adding an amp, an NAD C-272, and bi-amping them. The integrated and the amp have the same power rating(2x150). Or, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to adding a more powerful amp and still bi-amp them. The NAD equipment mentioned is rated at 2x150. What if I added a 2x200 amp, maybe Rotel, to the integrated NAD piece. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 427
50 watts more than 150 is a negligible change. every time you double amplifier power, you only gain 3dB. human hearing can only detect 1dB. you'd be gaining a very small volume increase for 50 watts more.

you'd gain more from a similarly rated amp that has better quality i'd bet.

is there something wrong with your system as/is? 150wpc with dynamic speakers is ALOT. i have only 55wpc with inefficient acoustic suspension speakers and have plenty of reserves left for typical listening.

switching to a rotel amp would be a HUGE change, not for the power, but for the house sound. NAD is typically warm/dark while rotel is at the other end of the spectrum and dry/analytical.

the power wouldn't make as much difference as the "house sound"

if you want more treble, the switch makes sense, but if your system isn't misbehaving, 50 watts more isn't worth the expense. you'd barely hear the difference volumewise i bet.

are you starved for more volume? if so... look for a 300wpc amp or higher.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 140
I run H/K receiver aspre-amp and Rotel 985 as power. I was really surprsied at the change in speaker response with the Rotel. Although the power is not a big increase, the speakers are twice as fast as before, the transients shut off a lot quicker, and the bass push is twice as fast.
This combo, H/K and Rotel is very good for my psb speaker setup. and I got it cheap, 5 yr warranty(half used) as long as you have a sub to support it at volume(a LOT of volume)

$4.98
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us