Help for newbie please

born2die
Unregistered guest
I am looking at adding a sub to my setup which at the moment comprises arcam 7 amp, B&W 603s2 and naim CD3 cd player. Its not that the system doesnt give out enough bass it does but i would like a little more accuracy and punch for when I am listening to dance and rock tracks. Is there an easy way to do this or is it a case of give up before I start. I will soon be changing to a naim nait amp when budget aalows so any wiring needed would need to take this into consideration.

Would I be best using A set of speakers for the bi wire and B set of speakers for the sub but when I change to naim this only allowws for 1 set of speakers any way so now I am well confused.

Any help will be appreciated

many thanks

tristian

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5958

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Tom%20Subwoofer.htm

Personal experience tells me this would be a very good choice.

The wiring can be done several different ways. Some of the choices you will make regarding hook up will depend on what your main speakers can do in your room. Using a sealed box subwoofer will probably get you the dynamics you appear to be lacking. One decision to make would be how much frequency extension vs. size vs. cost you desire. You can get a few Hz more extension out of a vented enclosure but you will generally trade off the accuracy and punch just as you are already experiencing with the B&W's. Send Tim at Alegria Audio an email and he will do his best to satisfy your needs.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2400
Jan,

I didn't know Tim sent you one of his subs! Don't remember ever seeing you write a review of it, only of the Lings speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2401
b2d,

Any sub that has high level inputs will allow you run your speaker wiring through it and then back out to the speakers.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hsusubs_1864_1134092

Anonymous

i have a 1981 VW Jetta that needs work and i was wondering if it would be worth putting subs in it

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5967

It would be cheaper than putting gas in it.

Anonymous

what are some good cheap subs to put in a car and were can u get them

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5971

I don't want any cheap subs so I've never looked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2428
Jan, please detail your experience with the Alegria sub, I'm very curious...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5976

Among other things, I'm basing my experience with the Adire Audio drivers in the Lings and the recommendations I've seen on the DIY sites. I'm impressed enough to have ordered an Adire driver to use as a sub in my own DIY unit. I have no need for a plate amp, so I will just place the driver in my own box (as of now, a transmission line [TL] enclosure is planned). I exchanged some emails with Tim and he let me know what Adire driver goes into the TOM subwoofer. Given the MSRP of the driver and the plate amp Tim is using in this sub, it follows the tradition of the Ling. I don't know how he is making any real money on this subwoofer. The MSRP of the parts adds up to more than the cost of the complete sub from Alegria. I don't think Tim wants me to broadcast what components he uses in his products, but I would say by comparison to other products in the DIY market, the TOM has better quality components than anything I've seen for anywhere near the money. The DIY market always has an edge on value over the commercial products, so that is in favor of the TOM.

Having listened to the Lings, browsed Tim's pages and discussed what he is listening for, I would say he and I have similar tastes in audio gear. Given the price of the TOM, most commercial products anywhere near this product have more boom than quality bass. For the most part the market is saturated with one note, ported systems which may sound good on explosions but will not compete with a sealed enclosure sound when it comes to music or soundtracks. Tim's approach to the TOM is very smart while not exagerating the bass to get a sub which jumps out at the listener screaming, "Buy me! Buy me!". As with the Lings, it may not impress you at first, but it will be a sub which shows its pedigree the more you listen. And, that follows my long time advice to buy what does not impress you; buy what sounds good over the long haul.

As you can see from the Alegria Auido site the TOM is a brand new product and Tim has not sent me one of these models. I would be happy to listen but the shipping back and forth wouldn't make it that worthwhile for either of us. My personal experience is with the company and the products Tim turns out. The individual parts are highly thought of in the DIY market and I've not come across anyone doing as much for so little cost retail. Tim also seems to be a very generous guy when it comes to his products and knowledge. Anyone buying the Tom, or any other Alegria product, will get the best service they can imagine.

A great product at a very low price and great service = a great deal. Even without hearing the finished TOM. I would give this sub a very strong personal recommendation.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us