Looking for a new receiver for my HT system.

Username: Yaniv

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a new receiver for my HT system.
I'm watching HT movies (80%), and sometimes live shows (20%).

The receiver will be connected to AE speakers:
evo 1
evo center
evo compact

i thought about a couple receivers and i want to hear your opinion.
marantz sr-5500 / onkyo tx-sr503 / denon avr-2105 / nad t743 / pioneer vsx-815

What receiver will work good with my speakers?
What reveiver whould you prefer?
and if you can give some tips to decide it'll be great.

btw, my english sux. So i'm sorry i have gramer mistkaes...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5959

Post this question here; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/18.html, in the "receivers" section.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 136
Or look in Jan's basement.
He and Paul run a business there.

No Charge

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 431
how do your speakers sound?

onkyo and denon will "brighten" your sound the most while NAD will warm it over the most.

pioneer will be more in between.

i'm not sure where marantz falls in the spectrum, but i THINK that it would be closer to neutral. don't quote me on that.

it depends on your needs and tastes. ALOT of people love NAD warmth, but i hate it and prefer onkyo treble speed and extension with my soft domes. on the other hand, treble haters despise onkyo gear.

the best answer depends on your system needs, along with YOUR tastes and goals... what specifically are you trying to improve?

Username: Kwwinfla

Largo, FL United States

Post Number: 1
can i use a GEMSOUND EXA3950 3000W Stereo Power Amplifier (Features: 1400W RMS @ 4 ohms bridged mono, 700W per channel RMS @ 4 ohms 350W per channel RMS at 8 ohms, Left-Right level controls, Ground lift, Inputs: 1/4" and Balanced XLR RCA, Outputs: Banana binding post, 1/4" & Speaker on, Protect LED, Peak LED, Fan cooled, Rack mountable, 115V/230V switchable) to power my 2 home theater 12" dayton 300 watt rated subwoofers. I'm using a sony str de895 6.1 receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 445
you might want to give class-d recievers some consideration.

i just bought a panasonic SA-XR55 which was supposed to be a stepping stone towards the magnepan MMG speakers that i wanted, but it improved EVERYTHING in my system's sound so much that i'm keeping my superzeros.

i bought my old onkyo to breathe some treble life into my zeros as i hated NAD blankets over my tweeters treble. after hearing how much detail planars have, i thought that would be a cure for straining to hear low level dialogue when watching DVDs at night but when i recieved the panny, my speakers jumped half way to the sound i'd heard out of maggies.

bass is tighter and deeper

treble is more relaxed and detailed. i can hear alot more texture in sounds.

but the most noticeable improvement is in the midrange. female vocals are downright silky and sexy now.

i hear more detail from top to bottom but more ease at the same time. even if i put my ears right next to my tweeters, i can't hear any of the grain i thought all tweeters had.

when i hear of people trading in expensive gear for panny recievers, i believe it now.

mine totally spanks my onkyo in every respect. where the onkyo bunched images in the center of my speakers, the panasonic can cast sounds several inches past the speakers on the right material!

what i had thought were speaker shortcomings had been amplification weaknesses all along. the improvements to my system were alot greater than i would have expected from amplification.

just my 2 cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us