Avr 7200 or avr630 or rxv2400

Username: Ssj

Post Number: 1
Experts, any suggestions/pros/cons for these receivers hk's avr7200 or avr630 and yamaha's rxv2400 or avr5790. They are more or less same priced, give enough input/outputs for me, I am looking for reliability ( less problems ) and should be easy to use/setup.. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 251
The HK 7200 is a monster! It will have MUCH more power than any of the others and is a steal at the prices being offered right now online. But, ultimately, your receiver choice should depend on what speakers you are using. HK is known for having a sound on the warm side, and should thus be paired with speakers that tend to be brighter (such as Monitor Audio, Klipsh, or Def Tech). On the other hand, Yamaha is known to be a bright sounding receiver (although the 1400 and 2400 is not as bright as the lower end Yamaha's), so Yamaha's sound better when paired with warmer speakers (Paradigm or PSB). Let us know what type of speakers you have, and we can give you some recommendations.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Johnny, Oops, a typo in my first post, It should have been yamaha's HTR5790. I don't have any speakers yet, I will be buying those too :-) Also, somewhere I read, statistically HK has more problems than yamaha's, Is that true? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 253
I have not heard of any more problems with HK compared to Yamaha. As long as you buy from an authorized dealer, you really have nothing to worry about.

If you are starting from scratch, I would definately consider the HK 7200 over the others that you listed. This is a receiver that started out with a retail of almost $2000 I think (I may be wrong though), and can now be found for under $900 shipped. It offers boat loads of power and is a WONDERFUL buy in this price range, in my opinion. So, like I said, if you are starting from scratch, you can't go wrong with the 7200. Pair that receiver with some more forward sounding speakers such as Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Def Tech, Inifnity, etc, and you will have a KILLER system.

Good luck, and let us know if you would like more advice when it comes to purchasing speakers!!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 489
SSJ:

First, drop the Yamaha HTR5790--it may have the same power as the higher end Yamahas, but it doesn't use the same quality output transistors and as I recall, doesn't have pre-amp outputs.

I would not recommend anything unless I know what speakers you have. The H/K and the Yamaha are on the opposite end of the sonic presentation range. The Yamaha is a bit on the bright side and the H/K is one of the most laid back receivers out there. So, Paradigms (which are laid back) work great with yamahas, but are a poor choice for the H/K. Conversely, JMlabs or Monitor Audios are fine speakers, but a bit on the bright side, so they work great with the H/K, but paired with the Yamaha will drive you to thoughts of suicide.

Both receiver makes are very good, with excellent reliability, so that should not be a concern. Instead, let me know what speakers you have or intend to use and I can make a more informed suggestion.

Anonymous

"I don't have any speakers yet, I will be buying those too"

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 492
Anon:

You need to look around for what speakers you want and then match the receiver to the speakers. Are you thinking bookshelfs or floorstanders? Budget? Any other considerations (such as wall mountable, very small size)? Start with your speakers and then choose your receiver.

Enjoy!

Post Number: 3
Friends, I had pre-wiring done for ceiling speakers. So I will be buying those speakers anyway. Most probably infinity ERS 110. I know, I may not be REALLY enjoying the sound effects, I have young kids at home, so I am bit hesitant to put floorstanders, right now, But probably in another year, I plan to buy those. But currently, I am also going to buy 2 front speakers and 1 front central speaker along with a subwoofer. I don't like the wall mountable speakers, no floorstanders for now, speakersize does not matter. My family room is 22x27, I had thought of buying HK7200 mainly for the price before coming to this forum. So will probably stick to it, Any suggestions on the speakers? Thank you all, BTW, my budget is about 1000 bucks for these 3 speakers and a subwoofer ( this is in addition to whatever I might be paying for the ceiling speakers )

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
hey hawk i have just seen the yamaha htr5790 and it DOES have 7.1 pre-amp outs!! and it has the same features as the rx-v1400 but it looks like a Marantz.

Username: Corrollo

Post Number: 1
SSJ,

I was down to deciding between the AVR7200 that my friend has and the AVR 630, which I ultimately purchased (I didn't need the power due to my room size). My system is using the Canton Movie 4.25 series speakers.

If you don't need the power of the 7200, I would recommend the AVR 630. The AVR 630 has the following features missing in the 7200. These features aren't anything big, but if you're a bells and whistles kinda person, you may want to look into em.

Logic 7 Enhanced (The way it sounds to me is a middle road between Logic 7 Movie and Logic 7 Music)
Upscaling to 96Khz from 48Khz in Dolby Pro Logic II (I can only tell the diffence on certain audio tracks, but it bugs my friend with the 7200 who doesn't have it)
HDCD (not that big of a deal)

Hope that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us