Alegria Audio Lings costs is no longer the boss

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1057
Speakers in general are the most colored part of the musical chain,thats a given but we all get excited when we talk about speaker shopping nothing gives us greater excitement in audio than buying new speakers.The budget end of speakers have come a long way since the 70s and 80s and even the 90s,this day and age can garner you a very good speaker for a very modest budget.Now we would all love to a have a super speaker,but to have that a extreme budget is needed often more than Americas own super car the Chevrolet Corvette.Speakers in the super class often need huge 300lb amps to operate correctly,while general weighing in at 300lbs themselves and more importantly a air craft hangar for a room for them to be able bloom and breath.The budget end of the market has taken a turn for the better since the introduction of the PSB Alpha at least in North America in the early 90s.It was at that time the consumer public learned that good speaker performance could be attained for beans and rice money,and more importantly designers found out they could build budget speakers with high performance for the budget audiophile. This is obviously the philosophy of Alegria Audio designer Tim Foreman the man behind the design of the Lings a 2 way stand mounted speaker.The Ling looks to be your average under $500 bookshelf,but further inspection reveals some pretty good quality parts that would make a much pricer speaker happy.I know of several speakers that cost substancially more than the Lings that dont have the caliber of parts they have.The key to the Lings performance is the XBL^2 motor and voice coil system.This great motor system extends frequencey extremes at both ends of the spectrum,it has great excursion ability and the ability to play very low for a speaker this size in the bass.The magical factor of this system is lets its 4.5 inch woofer made by Creative Sound Solution to cover everything up to 10 kilohertz and then hand off the duties to a Fostex supertweeter.The woofer alone costs $138 not cheap for a speaker costing now at a reduced price of $ 349 a pair,how Tim is doing this for this price is beyond me. My system consists of the Musical Fidelity X-150 intergratd amp,X-Ray V3 cd player,X-Dac V3,X-PSU power supply,and X-10 V3 tube buffer it matches impediance loads between all of your existing gear and all Kimber Cable,wiring and interconnects.My newly bought Odyssey Khartigo Mono Blocks and Estban passive preamp although not fully broken in got a brief test run,but the mojority of the testing was done with the Musical Fidelity gear and last but not least a Music Hall MM-7 with a Goldring cartridge. Virtues in a speaker are a very personal novelty in speaker reproduction,the Lings own a very unique place in the budget speaker arena.The Lings major on soft passeges and vocal reproduction they do well with both genders,but female vocals are to die for.I cued up Nora Jones (Come away with me) the album title cd and vinyl and more than any other speakers i've heard with these different formats of these tracks were increadibly similar,both were played with increadible smoothness and space,without any hard edges at all to me the redbook selection is better thanthe vinyl offering of this recording, which by many experts its considered the best digital recording ever.They really followed Nora Jones's vocal technique very closely but one thing I noticed was she was extremely far back in the soundstage.Dynamics were good for a speaker with such a laidback midrange, but the Lings were not about Dynamics and speed they were about the beauty of the recording.On a consistent basis I could find that in any recording I qued up,it didnt matter if it was vinyl or cd,or how old the recording was or how unaturally goosed up it was recorded.Soundstaging was good not hugely expansive playing outside the speakers but very deep and dimensional,they even made you see the beauty in the Rap music like Nas(Stillmatic) and rock like Creed(My own prison) to great effect and with their suprising bass they made everything come together well.With the topend mated with a supertweeter you think some brightness would come into play,but it was the exact opposite,infact when you first listen to them you may think that may be lacking in the topend.Their laidback nature may lead you to think that they are missing something,but once you get past that initial shock you will discover just how sweet and extended the Lings topend really is and how sweet they do flutes and they are a complete knockout on clarinets a trip up and down the tracks on (Clarinets Sonatas Brahms) by Antony Michaelson on the clarinet and Ingrid Jacoby on piano were exquisite in their tune and rivating the way the notes just flowed away into nothingnesss.Bob James (Playing Hookey) was also very very lovely played thru the Lings the way they created space and the way it dwindeled away sent goosebumbs down my arms the Lings frequencey response are (+/-3db 60 HTZ to 30 KHZ) you would never know that in person nor would you care,the Lings have that special talent to bring pretty things out of the ugliest recordings. There are a few things you should know before you buy the Lings they will quickly tell the difference between electronics and speaker wire and interconnects alike.If you want a speaker that rocks and are very dynamic look elsewhere,the Lings wont be for you,if you want razor sharp acurracy their are better choices and if you own cheap electronics they may sound course in the top end and lack depth and resolusion.Power is a good idea for the Lings they are only 85 dbs and 8 ohms, so at least 50 good clean watts is needed to hear them shine.Alegria Audio has started off on the right foot into the speaker industry,the Ling may not be for everyone but on good long listen they may change some peoples mind who desire a completely different sound,they are very addicting once you really start to listen to them,they will cast a magical spell on you,yes they have that special organic power that few speakers have here in the post turntable era.For $349 the Lings present a very different bargain for the budget ranks,and just as interresting as anything you can buy for under $500 along with their real real wood finish and elegant looks and especially ,their sound qualities will make owners have goosebumps for a long time to come. By,Tawaun A. Williams

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2336
Nice review, Tawaun! I may be buying one of these for my bedroom system, for those times when I want a completely different sound experience with certain types of music than what my main system does.

PS. Kinda wish you had made more frequent use of the "Return" button though. : )

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1842
Alright Eddie what's it gonna be the Lings or the Athenas...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2339
I'm leaning Lings, the Athenas will probably be similar to the Ascends just brighter and more bass.

First I have to install my 2 ohm aftermarket car speakers, and if I find that I need to add an external amp there this will have to wait a couple months.

Unless I sell off the NAD separates for what I paid, then I could pay for a second Panny and most of the Lings. LOL, this is a complicated hobby...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1844
Indeed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1060
Sorry Eddie I missed that one,Its been a long week I really wanted to make the reveiw look like a real review and try not to mispell as many words as I usually do,hope I gave you guys enough info.If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 560
T-Man,

GREAT REVIEW. Don't worry about the spelling errors, it's all about the music and the mood that comes from it and that came through loud and clear. So, did you like the Lings or not? LOL

Well, it will be interesting as Tim and his speakers get more of a rep, it's going to be hard to keep those prices where they are but I think that he will start to move some speakers soon. I'm hoping to help him out with that!!

Pretty impressive set-up Tawaun, I can see that you're enjoying this "hobby" although it looks more like your vocation as well, I guess. Keep up the listening and let us know what else you listen to and what you liked, or didn't like - if that's possible. Thanks again, Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2340
No worries, TW, I enjoyed reading your thoughts even without any line breaks!

btw, how far apart did you position them? I seem to be the only person so far who found 3-4 feet to be the ideal distance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Thats about where they worked in my room,thats where every speaker works good in my room,but im kind of predjudice though,I will trade a little bass weight for better imaging and soundstaging especially depth Ill do anything to bring that out in a speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2351
glad to hear that, I was starting to wonder if I was a little "weird"....ROTFL!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5951

I think you guys are not talking about the same 3-4' distance. Ed, you had the speakers 3-4' apart?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2358
yep, huge improvement over the 8-10' I originally had them at...everything finally seemed to come together and mesh.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 928
TW,

Bravo for your sterling efforts with the review. A little punctuation here and there would make it more legible, but it's a really good attempt. Definitely the most readable post of yours that I've read.

Ed, TW, did you toe them in or have them square to the room? At just 4 ft apart I'd have thought square.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2359
Definitely squared at that distance.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5956

And, when Tawaun says 3-4', I suspect he means away from the front wall. How widely spaced did you have the Lings, Tawaun?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1067
Jan,I had them at 8 ft. apart at first then I settled in on 7.5 feet a part to acheive a more focused soundstage,images started to lock in place better and become more stable.Eddie very few speakers if any in my experiance work good 3 0r 4 feet apart.Thanks Frank yeah punctuation would,ve really made a big difference,my wife wants me to start writing a rough draft,which for some reason isnt translating my abilities of my writing on paper skills to typing.I have a little work to do to get better,hell i've improved by leaps and bound since I first came on to this forum.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5961

Tawaun - Put your posts in the word processor section of your programs and then you can do a spelling and grammar check. After that's done, copy and paste to the forum. I'm sure your wife can show you what steps to take to accomplish this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1069
Thanks Jan will do.Frank I had them toed in very slightly about 10 degrees,the Epiphonys to my ears anyway need 15 to 20 degrees toing. Because of the first order crossover and the 10kHz crossover point the Lings have very little phase shift up to about 12kHz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2390
> Eddie very few speakers if any in my experiance work good 3 0r 4 feet apart.

dangit, I was hoping I wasn't being weird. LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
Its ok Eddie experiamenting for yourself is the only way you will get anywhere in this hobby,and then after that a little bit of good advice to give you more knowledge.Your doing fine its fun,thats why so many people love this hobby.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 550
Thanks Tawaun. I think you've done a very good job describing your impression of the Lings. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.
As to the spacing, I've found in my room they work well between 5-6 feet apart. Any more than that and they don't seem to mesh well, most likely due to the cone diameter. The interesting thing is that 5 feet is how wide my TV is so that works out quite well.
Sorry for the absence folks. Been kinda busy getting some new designs finalized, haven't even been answering my phone. There's some good stuff coming.
Thanks again T.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2404
> As to the spacing, I've found in my room they work well between 5-6 feet apart.

ahhhhhhh, thanks Tim! Now I don't feel like a total space alien anymore...lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
Different rooms may very,they could very well work 5to6 feet apart.My room is fairly live,but I have a concrete floor,their could can be many variables,I could roll with that,remember Eddie you do have to experiament every room is different,but 3 or 4 feet I wouldnt advise that though,well Eddie We all learn something new everyday in this hobby.Tim its been a pleasure you gave me the first opertunity to be a reviewer I hope I go further in it with better punctuation and spelling if god forbids! We all thank you for how gracious you have been with trusting us with your first official special creation,good luck to you im quit sure you are gonna be real succesful with your buisness.

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 47
Good Job TW !!

You referred to the beauty of the music comming through regardless of the type of music.

You said the Lings are addicting.

And you made mention of the initial "shock" or the period of adjustment your ear need to fully appreciate the Lings.

You discribed the voices and instruments really well.

I think you said it better whan I, but I am tickled that we heard the same thing.

Margie

Silver Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 104
Great review Tawaun! :-) I wonder how many Tim has sold to Ecoustics folks? Just curious.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
Thanks Margie,thanks Britt,yes their really is a big ear adjustments when you listen to the Lings,because they sound so much different from the norm.Britt im sure that number is gonna rise very shortly.

Bronze Member
Username: Jneufnash

Post Number: 12
Excellent review Tawaun.

What are the dimensions of your room? How about your room, Ed? I can't remember if you mentioned this before.

Tawaun, did you listen to any big classical music (symphonic work, opera, etc.)? The Lings seem ideal for chamber music. Margie mentioned that they have a bit of difficulty with "complex" music, but that they nevertheless conveyed emotion. I am wondering if you also found anything like this.

I am looking forward to being able to listen to the Lings! Although the bar has been set pretty high, review-wise. Now I am nervous about exiting my comfortable lurking mode.

What a great experiment Tim has so generously entered into.

jneuf

Gold Member

Post Number: 2481
My room is a 6000 cubic foot acoustic nightmare with angled corner marble fireplace, French doors on two sides, 18 foot vaulted ceiling, and the speakers sitting about smack dab in the center of the space.

Silver Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 177
Nice review Tawaun. Pretty much sums up a first order crossover speaker. They sound more like music because the crossover doesn't destroy the musical waveform as it passes thru. The reason they make poor recordings sound better is because the recordings aren't bad to begin with... it's nothing more than recordings with alot going on in the speakers crossover range, therefore they sound like poor recordings. Female vocals are especially noticeable because they work that same music spectrum most crossovers fall into (2k-up). They work better in a variety of rooms because the sound that reaches your ears first is almost always a direct sound. Tim should be applauded for making a speaker thats affordable to the masses.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6024

PB - Tim has made a speaker with a XO set at 10kHz. The dominant feature of the design is the near full range driver and not the XO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
uh oh...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6032

No "uh oh". Just informing PB the Xo design is not the most important aspect of the Ling's design. Most recently the driver's revised design has made this even more evident.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/css.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
Yes Jan it covering 9 or 10 octaves going almost the whole way full range,that had a whole lot to do with it.Bayless I never said that a first order crossover didnt have its merits it does,the Lings didnt get a free pass though.It just comes down to how well their designed,first order or not.Their is no such way as one way to design a speaker,the Lings were very good,but were they better than the Epiphonys no,but a very unique sound that takes a good listen before you start to warm to them

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
I would happily own them,and im eager to see what Tim brings out of his sleave on the next go around,im trying to see where I have room for a setup with them in my house.Bayless trust me if I played some of my recordings thru a pair of Thiels it would not be pretty,the driver in the Lings is a serious driver one of the few of its kind in production,and a few features that it has all by itself.The Lings performance is due more to its driver covering 9 or 10 octaves which makes them very smooth and relaxing.ineuf I played a few of Antony Michelsons recordings,yes they do a mind blowing job just covering a few acoustic instruments,if you value that kind of music you are in for a real treat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Jan, I had just finished reading the other seemingly endless thread with all of the crossover arguments. The "uh oh" was meant to be "uh oh, here comes another series of arguments from Paul about crossovers and their importance." If I am going to poke fun, I suppose should at least be clear.

Tawaun, thanks for the additional chamber music comments. Did you find them to collapse under symphonic complexity as Margie and Edster did? Also, do you have specific comments about the comparison between the Lings and the Epiphonys? I'd be curious to hear more about the comparison, if you heard both in a comparative-listening mode.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Jan, the mere fact that the design HAS a crossover is all that is needed to screw up the sound, if it's a high order, steep slope filter. If these speakers were an infinate slope design (like Joseph Audio) rather than the 1st order that they are, there would be no getting past that slow leading edge caused by the steep filter to a trained listener. I realize the x-over is high.....but it is not a fostex or Lowther type design by any means. I understand where your coming from, Jan.
jneuf, reading all the industry press on the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest that was held last weekend, I find it interesting more speaker manufacturers are now following the 1st order design theories. Paul Candy of sixmoons writes about the RMAF:
"A big thrill for me was meeting Green Mountain Audio's Roy Johnson and Janet Lynn. When I reviewed GMA's Callistos, I was so blown away that I bought my review pair. If you don't already know it, Roy is a steadfast champion of 1st-order time and phase-coherent loudspeaker designs and has done the math to back it up. He must be on to something. More and more speaker firms are cropping up espousing the same mantra: phase and time coherence is vital in loudspeaker design"
The entire review of the Denver show can be found on 6moons.com
Jneuf, i'm not looking for arguments, i'm trying to educate people. Nothing more....nothing less. Facts are facts though and I will point out the blatently wrong or misleading statements made here. There IS one best way of designing speakers unless you dont happen to care that the signal coming OUT of the speaker sounds anything like the signal that goes INTO the speaker. If thats the case, why bother to post here?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the review, Paul. Often I have found your fact-gathering and presentation illuminating and useful. Sometime, but not now, I will hijack a thread and argue with you on the distinction between is (fact) and ought (norm). (By argue, I just mean to present and justify claims--I don't mean bicker. I forget sometimes that it is not a neutral term.)

Where in Minnesota you are from? I grew up in Hutchinson, and went to undergrad in Minneapolis and did a lot of listening at Hi Fi Sound near Loring Park.

The Lings have landed, by the way. They arrived today. Elegant little speakers to look at!

Jonathan

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 50
Jon

I didn't say "collapse". You got it right the first time, " a bit of difficulty" with the complex stuff.

"....argue....neutral term", sounds like another legal mind. :-)

I am anxiously awaiting your review of the Lings.

Margie

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 551
Jon is correct. Argument should be a neutral term and considered a highly intellectual and cultured practice. It seems modern society has degenerated the term to indicate a hostile confrontation which has been demonstrated numerous times on this forum and elsewhere. That is unfortunate.

ar-gu-ment
noun
a. A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate.
b. A course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating truth or falsehood: "presented a careful argument for extraterrestrial life".
c. A fact or statement put forth as proof or evidence; a reason: "The current low mortgage rates are an argument for buying a house now".
d. A set of statements in which one follows logically as a conclusion from the others.
a. A summary or short statement of the plot or subject of a literary work.
b. A topic; a subject: "You and love are still my argument" (Shakespeare).
3. Logic. The minor premise in a syllogism.
4. Mathematics.
a. The independent variable of a function.
b. The angle of a complex number measured from the positive horizontal axis.
5. Computer Science. A value used to evaluate a procedure or subroutine.
6. Linguistics. In generative grammar, any of various positions occupied by a noun phrase in a sentence.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Margie

Thanks. I am looking forward to writing it. Not as much as I am looking forward to listening... I think I am going to try ramping up from solo instruments through small ensembles to opera and symphonic work and see if I can map out tolerances a little bit. Time consuming, but fun exercise. I have a lot of work to do this weekend (Monday deadline), so the review won't be immediately forthcoming.

It's even worse than a legal mind--I am a philosophy professor (and occasionally teach philosophy of law). =:-0

Jonathan

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 52

Tim
I agree.
Jon nailed it.
As have you.

Jon
GOTCHA!!

Margie

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 552
Nothin' personal Margie, just trying to present the best "argument" possible.
(nyuk, nyuk)

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 53

LOL!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I have spent the last 30 minutes or so setting up the Lings instead of working. I am listening to Hindemith solo viola sonatas played by Kim Kashkashian (ECM new series). At first I couldn't get the sound to knit very well. The viola was wandering around a bit behind the speakers while KK's breathing was coming with pinpoint accuracy from about 2 oclock at the front plane of the speakers. Disconcerting. it was like not being able to focus on a complicated picture and have your eyes involuntarily saccade looking for an image. Except aurally. I toed them in about 5 degrees, then a bit less than 10 and this helped. (My room is quite small: 12x10.) Then I moved them about a foot closer together and snap! the breathing moved back and rock solid to the center along with the music. It is actually just off center because of the recording, and KK seems to move a bit. Double stops (playing two strings at once) on lower strings absolutely fill the air--I can feel them in my chest. I will start a new thread with more later this week with my setup, etc. Great first impression, though.

OK, I really need to work, now.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6062

Saccade?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Jump around. I thought it could be used as a verb--maybe not. When your eyes aren't following a particular moving object (like a passing car, or your finger moving back and forth in front of your face), they jump from point to point. The jumps are saccades.

NOUN: A rapid intermittent eye movement, as that which occurs when the eyes fix on one point after another in the visual field.
ETYMOLOGY: French, twitch, from Old French, from Old North French saqiuer, to pull, from sac, sack. See sac.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6063

With the single driver covering so much of the usable frequency response of the Ling, I would suggest you set the speakers up so their axes cross at your listening position. When you can see nothing but the front baffle and not any of the sides of the cabinets from your seated position, that is where to begin. Depending on your listening distance, the rest of your system and your personal preferences, you can adjust from that point. As you adjust toe in, the amount of cabinet sides you can see should be the same on both speakers. But, since the dispersion of the 4.5" driver narrows as frequency rises, toe in is pretty much a necessity with the Lings or you will have unusual effects when the tweeter begins to cover the lower portion of its range (as you have already heard). At the point where the two drivers cover the same frequencies, which is fairly large with the 6dB Xo slope, the tweeter is able to have dispersion characteristics which are quite different than the main driver. This is true of any speaker system that uses at least two drivers, but with the high Xo point on the Lings, this is a bit more important than on a B&W or similar speaker with a Xo at somewhere around 2kHz.

I have more about my set up procedure in the write up under "product review" on the forum, if you are interested.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6064

Old French.

"Sac".

Isn't that what the Old Germans used to do to the Old French?

I imagine there was some jumping around at that point.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 583
Tim,

Are you sure you're not sleeping with a lawyer? I find an awful lot of legal reasoning coming from that engineering trained brain? Fess up, LOL

Jon, welcome to the wacky Ling crew. It ain't like wacky tobacky but it may have the same illuminating effect. Looking forward to more of your review and comments on your listening material and the Ling effect. Just so you know, there is no philosophy in law. It's just kill or be killed. LOL

Jan, "Sac" is something you do to a worthy opponent, certainly not the French, they never put up much opposition. LOL.
BTW, who you calling an "Old German?"

Margie, you go girl.

OK, enough playing around, I'm back to work now.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6096

Any German as Old as the French.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
jneuf, my ex-wife was from Hutchinson. Her relatives owned a motel there years ago....i'm in Coon Rapids. Grew up in north east mpls, have lived south mpls (around the parkway)as well as in the suburbs of Blaine, Maple Grove. Two seasons: swatting and shoveling. Vikes suck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Paul, LOL. Yes, the Vikes suck. I tried not to be a fan for a while, but my childhood eating popcorn in front of the game on Sundays stained me purple. At least they are not teasing us this year with a long winning streak, only to be snapped at or near the beginning of the playoffs.

I was once an ice cream man in Northeast Mpls (I was the one who DIDN'T sell drugs from his truck). Ah, those were the days.

New Ling thread forthcoming.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 558
How's it going Jonathan?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us