Any HK 7300 owners out there?

George73
Unregistered guest
I'm currently trying to build a 7.1 HT system and was looking for opinions on this amp.I'm torn between this or a Denon 3805/6.I'm more familiar with Denon gear, but I've got a good friend that swears by the HK stuff.This is my first kick at the can so to speak and i'd like to get it right.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2321
No, but there's an HK 7200 owner named "Svenyun" on this thread you might want to read his thoughts, browse through all 4 pages or so, he has about 3-4 different postings.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

(before you click on that link, reconnect the two p's at the end, for some reason this forum censors it so I had to add a space in between)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 690
In terms of power - the HK AVR435/635 are more equal to the 3805/6. The Denon 4806 would be a better match for the 7300 in terms of power and features.

The 3805/6 has better DACs and processing than the HK 435/635 however.

George73
Unregistered guest
Hey Kano

I agree about the 4806 being more of a match with the 7300, but in my neck of the woods (Northern Alberta) the 4806 retails for about $5000. My friend that recommends the HK 7300 is actually a dealer, so my cost would be $2400( Reg retail at Future Shop is about $3300). Does anyone think the 7300's onboard Faroudja video chip give it a leg up on other receivers in its price range? Would owning a HD satellite, and a scaling DVD player make it a useless feature?

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
Depends on the tv(s) you plan on using it with in the future. Many new televisions have a native resolution of 480p/720p/1080p, making that feature pretty much useless. The ability of the 7300 to display the OSD and volume control through the component connection is attractive but hardly a deal breaker.

At least in my experience video features are a bonus but in this comparison it is solely the audio quality you are looking for that you should base your purchase around.

Will you need the extra power of the 7300? Do you have speakers that are hard to drive?

Which "sound" do you prefer? The Denon and HK have different signature sounds. Pick the speakers first and find out which receiver brings the sound out of your speakers that you're looking for.

Both are great products and that's definitely a great price on the 7300 (I live in Canada as well) Both receivers have all the features any one could want, it just comes down to the sound IMO.

George73
Unregistered guest
I'm more familiar with the Denon sound. I've owned a PMA-980R integrated amp for about 11 years and its never let me down.I absolutely love the sound of that amp. My speakers are Mirage OM-7 rated at around 6 ohms I believe. so they're not too hard to drive. The rest of my speakers will also be Mirage OM series.

Two channel audio performance is a big issue for me and thats what I was hoping to get some comments on in this thread. My Denon has been very good to me and I think I've turned into one of these brand fanatic types, but it'd be nice to hear from anyone with experience with both brands.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
I'd go with the Denon. The 3805 has Burr Brown DACs and great sound.

It may not be possible to get the same 2 channel performance out of most receivers when compared to 2 channel gear but of the 2 it's my opinion that the Denon will come the closest.

The 7300's best feature is its power. More "in your face" sound than the Denon for HT but if music is your main focus go with the Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us