Speaker placement

Peter Micemi
Unregistered guest
Need help with speaker placement. I have an NAD 762 and Paradigm Studio 60 v.2. Right now they are separated approximately 12 feet from each other but may have to move them based on my wife wanting to change around the aesthetics of the furniture. If I moved the speakers to approximately 7 feet apart, will this make a huge difference in sound stage, and is that too close? The main listening area is 8 feet away. Can't experiment because this would mean a committment to moving of furniture.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 689
Yes, experiment. Every room and every speaker is different.

The general guideline is to have the space between the 2 front speakers equal to the distance from their centre to your listening position.

ie
LF<---------12ft---------->RF
|
|
12ft
|
|
V
Listening position

(Sorry for the weak diagram)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5906

There are several guides to speaker placement on this link. Experiment until you are satisfied you've found the best location.

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=wilson+audio+set+up+procedure&ei=UTF-8&u=www. tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html&w=wilson+audio+set+procedure&d=LnBS4mFULgOg&icp=1 &.intl=us

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 610
Every speaker and every room is different, as has been said a couple of times.

A thing I've found that works out the best more often than not is an equilateral triangle. My listening position is 8.5 ft away from each speaker - not from the center, but from the speaker. I put the speakers 8.5 ft away from each other, center to center. I also toed them in, so that if I looked at each speaker dead on I could only see the front of it and not the sides. From there I start to move them apart, toe out, closer together, chair closer or further, etc. a few inches at a time until I've found what works best for me. The last couple of speakers I had needed very little moving around after the initial triangle.

Also keep in mind the distances from walls behind the speakers and corners. These things generally effect bass quality and volume. Closer to walls and corners generally means more bass. The bass may sound better, worse, or overbearing in different places.

Their isn't a magic formula. It's all trial and error.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5909

http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us