Does it matter?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 393
does it matter if the receiver sits on top of the dvd player or vice-versa? im not sure if setting the dvd player on the receiver will cause heat problems for the receiver. im hurting for space or i would keep them apart. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4076
hot air goes up, my receiver is at the bottom and separated from the rest of the equipment.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1210
If you must place the DVD on top of the receiver (which I don't recommend for the reason given by Berny), suggest you use something to elevate it off of the receiver's top surface. I have found 35mm film canisters placed under the feet of the component to be an inexpensive way to give the receiver some breathing room. Monitor heat output.

The MOFO has spoken.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5897

Depending on the amount of shielding in both units, the CD/DVD can introduce digital noise into the circuitry of the receivr. Distance between the two components will cut down this intrusion. It is also advisable to not plug the two components into the same AC outlet for the same reason. Many power line conditioners will provide filtered outlets specifically for digital sources and other outlets for analog gear.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 921
Typically, receivers run pretty hot so you will cook your DVD player if you site it above the receiver. unfortunately, most DVD players are quite flimsy and smaller by comparison to the receiver so placing it underneath the receiver could be a bit of a crush...

But if one needs to be on top of the other, the DVD player should go beneath. They don't run as hot as the receiver typically and so will not mind that location half as much as being on top of the receiver.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 707
Neither is a good solution. Most receivers generate considerable heat (which obviously rises) and anything placed on top of the receiver is quite likely to interfere with the ventilation that the receiver requires.

I agree with Frank--if the dvd is built well enough to support the receiver's weight, put the receiver on top of the dvd player.

If you must put the dvd player on top of the receiver, I would recommend putting 2"-3" non-metallic risers on the four corners of the receiver to rest the dvd player. Make sure the risers (or feet) allow the dvd player to be level. This should allow for much better ventilation for the receiver.

Remember, heat is the enemy of electronics.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5901

Why not use some isolation feet on the DVD which would preclude placing it on top of the receiver?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=VIBRACONE

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us