$75,000 systems

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 390
I recently viewed a page on recomended $75000 systems. NOW, how much better can you get than the $10000 critically acclaimed systems out there that get A++ from even the most critical, picky listeners.
Really, is this a joke for bragging rights or are these systems really worth the EXTRA 65000 (if anyone here has even ever hear one)?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5895

The question is impossible to answer as each of us perceives value differently. If $75,000 is one week's interest on the savings account, the difference could be quite striking. Keep in mind there is much more to a $75,000 system than just the sound it produces. And, yes, I have heard a few $75k systems.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1812
Amen!

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 391
anyone know what happened to the speaker/subwoofer threads. they are not showing up on my computer.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1818
They'll be back.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 578
Amen to Art's and Jan's amens. Just had the experience 2 weekends ago and it's not worth the additional bucks in my estimation but you're talking a different sound and feel that what I'm used to now. Dave.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 647
Worth is a very relative term. Is my wife's $400 Coach bag 20 times better than a $20 one? Not to me. Is my $2000 stereo set up 20 times better than a $200 one from Circuit City? Not to her.

To really drive home the value of money - At the College I work at, it isn't unheard of for students to have allowances of $10,000 to $15,000 a month. I could see the extra $65,000 being worth it to some people, as ridiculous as that may seem to most of us.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6094

Every salesperson goes about the process differently but I generally sold on the value of diminishing returns. But that was what appealled to the average clientelle I sold to. One salesperson I worked with sold on the idea of how can you stand to not have the very best or hear the smallest detail. Another salesperson sold on the basis of, "it's good enough for me, why should you want more than that?"

I think everyone, even those people who claim they can't hear differences in quality, can pick out where the improvements are less and less while the price is higher and higher. Some people feel the "need" to have the $75k system and others feel having 95% of that system at 25% of the price is just fine.

I've become more curious over the years as manufacturers have moved up scale with their porducts and price as to just who buys what any longer. When I read of $10-15k CD players and $85k turntables, I can't help but wonder how many of these products get sold each year. I'm sure the manufacturers have decided there are a limited number of buyers who will buy a product despite the price tag and they are better off selling one or two of something at a higher markup than trying to sell a dozen at a lesser price.

Rantz
Unregistered guest
Worth really is a relative term. A friend recently sent me a powerpoint file showing the home of some rich Arab oil sheik.

The term home is ridiculous - it's more like the best and biggest palacial resort you could imagine. Among the fleet of high end cars in the massive stables is a silver A4 Audi - so what? The audi's panels are silver - not silver paint - pure silver and the car is kept to a chrome like finish. So a $75,000 audio system in this place would likely be akin to a portable Sanyo cd player in my house.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us