Denon 3805 on screen setup

Username: Newataudio

Post Number: 1
Hey guys and gals,

I am a newbie at this stuff, so bear with me please. I have just set up these components in a surround environment:

SONY KDF-70XBR950
connected directly to HR10-250 High Definition DVR via HDMI to DVI video cable

Denon 3805s AVR used for 5.1 surround connected to Sony TV via fiber optic cable input #1

Panasonic S97S DVD connected directly to Sony TV via component video, with the audio connected directly to Denon 3805 both by fiber optic #2 as well as (3) pairs of red/white into 3805 'external in' inputs.

Question #1: How can I get the on-screen (TV) setup to display on my Sony for the 3805? I assume that since I am bypassing the 3805 by connecting the TiVo box directly to the TV, this is the cause. Is there a connection by which I can still video-connect the 3805 to the TV?

#2: Is this the optimal way (in your opinions) in which to connect these 4 devices? Should I run the TiVo box through the 3805, or leave it and achieve the HDMI>DVI video?

#3: Will I be able to 'tell' if I'm getting use of both the analog/RCA/3-pair connection of the DVD player as well as the #2 optical?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

newataudio

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 923
AFAIK, the only video outputs you can use on the 3805 to display the OSD are the s-video and composite video outputs. I believe you can't get OSD with component and HDMI outputs but I could be wrong about this.

Your sources should always go through the AVR receiver, not via the display. If the display is also a tuner (like a TV tuner) you can use that as a source too, but you shouldn't go via the display's tuner module since typically it's not as high quality.

The 3 pairs of analogue outputs on the DVD player should connect to the 5.1 Multi-Input on the 3805. I believe you have to physically choose the alternative input manually to choose this option. The only reason to choose the multi-input option on the 3805 is if you're playing SACD or DVD-A discs. These are high resolution music-only formats which cannot be sent down an ordinary digital connection by law, so the DVD player has to perform the digital to analogue conversion.

If you play a SACD or DVD-A disc you will get no music signal unless you switch the 3805 to multi-input. However, if you play an ordinary DVD-V disc (a movie for example), you will get full surround sound from both multi-input or digital input on the 3805. You would have to look on the display of the 3805 to know which is in use at the time. Note that the multi-input option on the 3805 means that you have to setup the 5.1 output of the DVD player manually to set the levels on the various speakers correctly via the DVD player. The 3805's automatic setup procedure is only valid when using its own D/A conversion.

Finally, the coax copper wire input tends to give better quality than optical inputs. At some stage you should try the coax inputs instead since they really do offer a bit better fidelity generally speaking, though there are rare occasions where a ground loop and hum may occur when using coax (this is rare).

I hope this helps...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 128
nice response, Frank.

Username: Newataudio

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the response, Frank. I had relocated this post to the AVR/Receiver section an hour or so later that day.

Thanks again,

newataudio

Anonymous

Maybee im just to stupid, but to which connectors from the 3805 do i have to connect the cables comming from my SACD player`?

Would be nice if you can help me out!

Anonymous

you don't need to run your video through the 3805 to use the OSD, just connect any of the video outs to your tv, I use the component outs on mine, but I run my video through the reciever, if you're only using the 3805's video output for the OSD, then it doesn't matter if you use the composite, S-video, or component outs, the OSD will look the same on all.

Username: Larsh

Post Number: 1
I have a 5805 and cannot get OSD...any suggestions?
I have tried about everything..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us