Magnepan MMG/M12

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 565
I realise I am sort of on 2 threads with this subject but I have recently become interested in this speaker.

My questions are the following:

1. How much has anyone paid Canadian for either model?
2. Can they play loud without problems?
3. Using them with a sub would give me audio bliss at this price???
4. Are they good for different kinds of music?

You can add anything else that you feel I am missing. I plan on trying to audition these if I can but that may be difficult.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 567
Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1821
I'm answering your questions on the entry level speaker thread.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 568
ok...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 409
personally... i want to UNPLUG my subwoofer when i get my MMGs. planar bass is way faster and detailed than anything you've ever heard. if you want to rock a party and feel the bass, you'll be disappointed, but if you want to hear a bass guitar with clarity like you've never heard before... nothing beats planars.

i'd trade my 12" sub for a single maggie with a blown tweeter in a heartbeat.

can maggies play loud... yes, they sure can and sound incredibly relaxed when they do, but if you really want them to play loud, you're going to need serious amounts of power, like 400 watts. they're very power hungry. 100 watts is the MINIMUM recommended power.

are they good for different kinds of music? they're good for any kind of music where you want to hear every detail and have it sound realistic. everyone talks about how great maggies are with vocals and piano, but they kick major butt with bass drums too. you hear nothing but the drumhead with none of the blurring that evil ported subs make. LOL

now that i know that panasonic has class-d 100wpc recievers (that are getting great reviews) out there that can handle magnepan 4 ohm loads without self destructing... i'm finally going planar.

eventually, i'll get a behringer DCX2496 electronic crossover/room EQ unit and biamp the maggies. (and possibly give surround sound up) the unit will also let me get much flatter frequency response as it can work with a mike to tune your system and room.

the weakest link on maggies is their crossovers. totally bypassing the crossover altogether and biamping would give them more power with a better crossover to boot throw in taming of their peaky response and it's a win win win. to my ears hough, MG12s sounded very flat... maybe it was compensated for with speed and detail.

there are ALOT of people out there yanking maggie crossovers and modifying them with premium parts or biamping.

the CHEAPEST mod you can make to a maggie to improve it's sound is to simply bypass the fuse.

if you really want to learn alot about maggies from crossover mods to vertical stand mods... check this link out.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html

there are alot of people there that have lived with maggies. if you're really interested in going planar... that site is your encyclopedia.

just make sure to click the "display" button at the top of the page when you click on a topic to view it all at once like here. otherwise... you'll waste alot of time bouncing back and forth one reply at a time.

see you there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us