Timbre Match ??

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 84
I am looking at Totem Product Guide and it says:

Model -1 Sign Center - 1" Alloy Dome Tweeter, 2 x 5 1/2" woofers with 3" vented voice coil,
2.4 kHz 2nd order compensated, 4 Ohm, 87 dB

Totem Hawks: 1" Alloy Dome Tweeter, 5 1/2" long throw Woofer, 2.5 kHz 1st order compensated, 6 ohm, 86 dB

Totem Forests: 1" Aluminium Dome, 6 1/2" woofer with 3" Voice Coil, 2.5 kHz 2nd order compensated, 8 ohm, 87 dB

As seen above, looks like Hawks and Model -1 Sign Center has the same kinda tweeter and Forests have Aluminium Tweeter. That means Hawks should be more timbre matched with Model-1 Sign Center right ? I heard several people say Forests, Model - 1 Sign Center and Model - 1 rears are perfectly timbre matched. Why is that ??

Raks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5878

The hoped for goal of any well designed speaker for the consumer market should be nuetrality. While various types of tweeters have their own advantages and disadvantages, the goal should be to sound as little like an "aluminium tweeter" or a "soft dome tweeter" as possible. Listen to what you hear between the two designs and make up your own mind. The idea that someome else says this is this way or that is that way should be used as a guide somewhat like someone telling you they liked this restaraunt. You might find it to be the same or you might not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Jan,

I agree with you about people havng personal likes for music.

I was pointing out this as sevral folks say Totem Midel - 1 Sign center goes perfectly with Forests rather than Hawks. Actualy Hawks and Midel - 1 sign center have the same Alloy dome tweeter.

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
bump

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5925

RG - I didn't mean to shut down any discussion when I made my comments on the other thread, but I think some of the others may see that telling you this does that might be less than helpful when you actually go to listen to the equipment. The point here is, don't pay any attention to what "several people have said". You can gather all the information you want and you won't remember it all, when you get in the shop. What one person feels is true may not be true for your situation. A little knowledge goes a long way in audio buying. A lot of gathered knowledge can get in the way of owning a very nice music system.

Go listen and with the help of the staff at the shops you are visiting, make your decision. All the shops you've mentioned in your previous posts are good shops. They can put together lots of combinations which will be satisfying. Take their advice on what electrically works well together and then make your choice concerning what makes music sound best to you.

If you want advice, I will give you the advice which most of my clients didn't want to hear. Stop comparing one piece of equipment to another piece of equipment. Go listen to some live music and then make your comparison of how well each component replicates the sound of the real thing. Otherwise you are comparing two photographs of the Grand Canyon and deciding which you like the best without ever seeing the real thing. It can be done, and frequently is; but I think you'll do better to concentrate on the music and not the hifi. That's my $0.02 worth.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us