Onkyo Tx-SR600 receiver with KEF 2005.2 speakers

Username: Evangelos

Post Number: 1
I have an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, here is the link below for specs.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR600&class=Receiver&p=i

I run my KEF 2005.2 speakers from it. From what I have read online the KEF 2005.2 need a poewerful receiver. Is the Onkyo receiver I own good enough? I wnt to get the full potential out of my KEF speakers. Looking for some honest opinions. Do I go for the NAD 762? Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 2
After exploring further, I see many complains about the NAD. Should I go with a nice Yamaha? Is 100 wpc enough power for my KEF 2005.2 speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1783
If your speakers are really power hungry it will require an AVR with high current capability. I doubt that your Onkyo will do the trick. You may want to listen and see if it is satisfactory, then if it is not we can go from there.

I'm guessin' you'll need more power. At that point it may help us to know your budget.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1784
BTW the new Yamaha RX-V4600 looks sweet.

Post Number: 3
First of all, I am a newbie to all of this so if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about, it's becuase I don't!

The Onkyo I have is the TX-SR600. It's 80 wpc at 8 ohms. I am pretty sure that's what my KEF 2005.2 speakers are from searching on this forum.

Also, I do believe my speakers are power hungry just from what I have read on this forum. At best the sound I get now is satisfactory, that's why I want a new receiver and need this forum's help. I use my system primarily for DVD movies and music. That's my main goal.

My budget is up to $800.

Let me know if if I shoudl supply more info.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 431
I would suggest looking at Harmon Kardon. Their receivers are well known for being conservatively rated, and are better suited for driving more difficult loads than Onkyo receivers.

Post Number: 4
Excuse my stupididty, but I looked up a HK 435. MSRP 1000, seems like they go for 550ish. It's a 7.1 and claims 65 wpc. Isn't take a bit weak? Again, I am a newbie , but I just want to make sure my speakers are performing at max capacity. Thank you for all help thus far.

Post Number: 5
Excuse my typos. Didn't get much sleep last night.

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Wattage is only one figure in the equation. One thing you might want to keep in mind is that doubling the wattage from 65 to 130 will only give you a 3 decibel increase in volume. Also, as I said, HK's figures are fairly conservative, while Onkyo's have a tendency to be inflated, depending on the model.

The difference between the Onkyo and the HK is the HK's ability to more easily drive low impedance loads thanks to its ability to deliver more current. Correspondingly, its built quality is also a step up from Onkyo.

As far as pricing is concerned, jr.com has the 635 for 699 currently.

Post Number: 6
Thank you for the info. Once I get one and try it out, I'll post my results!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1786
Actually there have been some QC issues with HK recently that I have become aware of. I would still go with an HK over the Onkyo. I recently compared HK and Yamaha and though the HK was bit warmer I felt that the Yamaha was a bit more neutral. The HK at 50 watts per channel compared relative to power to the Yamaha at 95 watts (the Yammie was just a bit more powerful) and that is due to what DA described. Bottom line they cost the same and I preferred the Yamaha. For your needs you would have to get a model with more power than mine (I'm also using a 250 Hafler power amp on the fronts). I would suggest looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1788
Sorry EM I meant the RX-V1500.

Post Number: 7
Oops. Ordered the HK already. I assume I will be pleasantly surpirsed with how much better the HK receiver sounds that my currnt Onkyo?

Post Number: 8
Oops. Ordered the HK already. I assume I will be pleasantly surpirsed with how much better the HK receiver sounds than my currnt Onkyo?

Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 7
Evangelos, My Onkyo 602 pushes my powerhungry (from this forum) Infinity Primuses really well. Sounds sweet.

Post Number: 9
I have the Onkyo TX-SR600. I am not sure if my receiver pushes my KEF 2005.2 speakers to their max capacity. My ears aren't fine tuned enought to know. I ordered the HK 635 per DA's recommendation, I hope to see a difference then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
The 635 will definately drive them to capacity. How much more you will get out of them as compared with the Onkyo though, time will tell.

Post Number: 10
I got my new receiver. First of all, its awesome. Second of all, it DOES power my speakers better. I also just bought the Onkyo DV-SP800. Not for $1000 though! I hope to get even better sound with this DVD player as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us