Help me decide! Athena AS-B1 + AS-C1 or JBL E30 + EC35

Username: Nalow

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all, first post.
I've posted this a few other places and got lots of looks, but no replies. :-(

I'm trying to figure out a combo for my home theater setup.
What I'm looking at doing, is using either the AS-B1 or E30's for my mains, then the matching center channel.

The Athena's can be had for $200 for the set. The JBL's would be more like $300.

I was able to listen to some JBL's (not the E30's) at a local Best Buy, and was pretty happy with the sound.
Nobody carries the Athena's around here anymore, so I can't demo them.
But I've heard such good reviews from everyone on the quality for the price on them.

Now, who has had some experience with both these speakers, and which one did you prefer and WHY?
What were the main differences...

Should I go with the Athena's because they are cheaper, even if I haven't heard them? Or just spend more and go with the JBL's?

These will be replacing a pair of Pioneer S-H253B-K bookshelves and an Acoustic Research PSC25 Center channel.
My MAIN complaint on the AR Center is that it has a "nasaly" sound on voices... It sounds rather boxy.
And the Pioneers, well... They're just cheap, and don't do very good on music.

I'll be using this for 80% MOVIES and 20% Music... Mostly heavy metal.
Powered by a Yamaha HTR-5440 receiver.

Thanks! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2221
I'd take the Athenas, they sound better to my ears than the JBLs. Listened to both at BB a long time ago back when they used to carry the Athenas.

Since you're doing 80% HT I'd try to budget $400 for a Hsu STF-2 if you can, if not the 12" Dayton sub from partsexpress.com would work, $145 shipped and much improved with a $100 Behringer Feedback Destroyer also from the same place. If you're a real bass fiend you could even get a pair of these Daytons, that should really rock the walls.

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 2
I forgot to mention that I already HAVE a Dayton 10" sub from PE.

It's not a large room by any means, (12'x16'), and the 10" sub already irritates my wife enough as it is.

Thanks for the reply.
I've just been banging my head trying to decide what I want. I want to be sure I make the right choice, as the budget for this has become TIGHT since marriage. hehe

-Andy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2222
If $300 is your absolute maximum budget, you won't be able to do much better than those Athenas. Now if you could spend about $900 on the front 3 speakers, I'd recommend something else...

BTW how old's the Yamaha receiver, and how much did you pay for it? If it's still within the return period I can recommend something that's not only less expensive, but also smaller (big brownie points with the wife) and much much better performance.

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I don't have a lot to work with here, I know.

I've had that Yamaha for probably 2-3 years. It's been a fairly good receiver. I won't be "allowed" to get anything else unless it fries.

What is the receiver you wanted to recommend?

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 4
I can't figure out how to edit posts, if you can.

But I forgot to add that I paid about $250 for it when it was brand new.

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 5
One more thing, but generally speaking, which CENTER CHANNEL speaker is the better of the two?

Obviously, I would match my bookshelves with the center.

But I'm just curious.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2224
I was going to suggest the all-digital Panasonic sa-xr55, see the huge thread on it in the Receivers section. Costs about the same as your Yammie but blows away receivers costing many times more.

The absolute best center channel I've ever heard has been the Ascend 340c but that's a whopping $350 or so. Between the JBL and Athena I'd pick the Athena, it has a good bit more clarity though slightly less bass than the JBL but then again that's what a subwoofer is for.

Lincoln, Ne USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the replies. They are appreciated.

I would seriously get that Panasonic if I had the budget for it. It looks like a nice receiver for the price.
Looks like I will probably opt for the Athena speakers.
ANYTHING has to be better than what I have now. ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2236
Good luck, let us know how you like them after they come in...

Bronze Member
Username: Black05hemi

So Cal

Post Number: 20
Edster's right on, the Athena's blow away the JBL E series...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us