RCA to L/R Stereo from receiver to subwoofer

Username: Navig8ur

Kingston, NS Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello:

Just bought a Yamaha 5840 to replace an all in the box samsung system. The subwoofer from the samsung is not amplified and I want to use it until I can afford a powered unit. The Receiver only has an RCA out for the subwoofer which limits me to a powered unit presumably. Can I run the subwoofer from one of the existing channels which I am not using on the receiver, as I am only using 5 of the 6 channels available. It would seem that converting the RCA to L/R probably would not work as the signal is not amplified....

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 400
The Yamaha HTR-5840 6.1 reciever has 6 channels that put out 85 watts each. It also has a preout for a subwoofer.

You do not have a self powered subwoofer. Until you get one, you will have to sacrifice something.

I would run my Front(l&r), Surround(l&r), but REMOVE my center and back channel speakers.

I would then bridge the center channel and back channel to your sub (if possible). DO NOT BRIDGE THEM IF IT ADVISES YOU NOT TO. Check your manual.

According to an advertisement on ebay; it is suited for multi load functions.

8/6/4/2 Ohms 1 kHz Dynamic Power: 115W/150W/185W/230W

This is rated at 1KHz, but it may be ok at subharmonic frequencies, check your manual before you apply this advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-HTR-5840-6-1CH-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER-600w-POWER_W0QQi temZ5811686642QQcategoryZ39801QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 402
After reading up on this model, it seems it may not be suitable for bridging. It will be safer to just plug it in to the back speaker terminals.

Username: Navig8ur

Kingston, NS Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your comments and effort...I will try the other channel

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us