Phase switch?

Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 3
my Infinity PS10 has a phase switch 0 to 180. It has a separate cross-over dial. What does it mean? The pamphlet doesn't explain. It sounds better at 180, but I'm interested in knowing what it means...

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 386
The phase switch allows you to switch from in phase to 180* out of phase. This feature is not to taken as written in stone. In some rooms, or locations of a room, the output will sound louder/better either in phase or out of phase. So there is no correct setting. It all depends where the sub is located and the acoustics or shape of the room.

Phase is term that describes multiple characteriscs and behavior of a speaker system.

Phase alignment: The vertical alignment of the voice coils of all the speakers in a speaker cabinet, so that all signals reach the sweet spot at the same time.

Crossover phasing: If one or more crossover slopes are of a different slope, then the speakers would not fire at the same time, causing delays in response.

Reverse polarity: You may reverse the polarity of a speaker to make the speaker fire inwards instead of outwards to improve alignment with the other speakers in the system. This is very common in tweeters circuitry. As for woofers, if the polarity is reversed, there is usually a cancellation of bass, to a degree.

Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 4
I tried switching it and it definately sounds better to the 180. O did cancel it, thanks alot for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us