A/V Receiver from Stereo: Recommendations with Kef Q55

Username: Davesolo

Post Number: 1
My Marantz PM-57 amp died and I'd like to make the move to surround sound. Can anyone provide recommendations for a receiver (~$500 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) that will match up well with my KEF Q55 (6 ohm) speakers. I've been reading around here and it seems some receivers match better with some speakers, but I'm clueless. Mostly 70% music vs. 30% video. I looked at Yamaha RXV657 and Denon 1905 & 2805 at J&R.

I also have 2 Denon USC-05M (8 ohm) bookshelf speakers. Can these be matched with the KEF and add a center channel or would it be best to buy 2 rears and a central channel that would match up better with the KEF? If latter recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Davesolo

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1749
I just bought the Yamaha RXV657 to replace my NAD T763. I will hook it up this weekend and post the results. I'm using Paradigm Reference Series speakers so the information should be relevant.

Post Number: 2
Art,

Wondering if you hooked up and tested the Yamaha this weekend. I had a silent one, waiting to pull the trigger on a receiver. BTW can I ask where you purchased and at what price?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1782
David, I did hook up the Yamaha this weekend please see my thread "Art loses his mind" etc. I bought the new receiver in Portland and paid $400 for it but you can get it online for less. If after you read my thread you still have questions please feel free to ask. The short of it is that the Yammie is a lot better than it ought to be at that price, which is a good thing.

Post Number: 5
Art, great stuff on the Yammie right under my nose! I've read some other reviews and will go with it over the Denon AVR1905. I saw the Yamaha at J&R for $399 in store and will go there for the waranty.

One other question I hope its not too much to ask (and I've tried on other threads) - I'm clueless on what center channel and rears to match up with my KEF Q55??? This is my first foray into HT and the speaker selection, especially to match up with existing, is intimidating to say the least.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1791
I think the best idea on that is to call or email KEF. I tried using their website, what a pain. Remember that budget AVR's do have limited power. Always a good idea to add a power amp to the fronts later on when you can swing it.

Post Number: 6
That's alot Art, this has been helpful and informative! I too think the Kef website is poor, I'll give them a call, there's no dealers near me in NJ.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us