Yamaha RX-Z9 Power Ratings...

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 245
For those who obsess about power ratings...

The May issue of Sound & Vision arrived on my doorstep today. The Yamaha RX-Z9 is reviewed in this edition. While the MSRP of $4,499 will certainly keep me from buying it... Yamaha definately addresses most any concern in this behemoth! :-)

I've updated the Sound and Vision Test Reports page to reflect the new data.

Basically, the RX-Z9 is rated at 170W x 7 (plus an additional 50W x 2 for the Aux Presence Speakers... given Yamaha a virtual 9.2 system (although 7.1 is a "format"). It has 6 Component Video Inputs and 2 Outputs... impressive! 7 Video/S-Video Inputs... 8 optical, 4 coaxial inputs... 4 analog stereo inputs. Faroudja DCDi! It has 2 i-link inputs!

This thing at full power sucks 1000W out of the wall, so... it's gonna make your electric bill go up. :-) (Just kidding... I hope you don't run it full blown all the time! If you do, you deserve a large electric bill!)

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 336
I read this review and it was largely very impressive. Regarding the power, Geekboy, did you notice the power with all channels driven. 138 watts, not 170. 138 is certainly enough for most any situation and a very small quibble but why can't Yamaha just say it's 130 x 7 and be a bit more accurate as other do.[NAD,Rotel,PE].
$4500 is to much for any receiver but this is certainly a very fine one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us