Help with Bose system partial replacement

rather b fishin
Unregistered guest
Looking for help/suggestions. We just bought a house from a Bose-lover -- they had liefstyle systems on 2 floors and speakers throught the house (5.1 in LR with 3 cubes + AM (unpowered) + 102SEs at the rear, 4 32-Rs in Kitchen, 2 32-Rs in Sunroom, 2 outside speakers on deck, AM3 in Master BR, 2 powered speakers in Master Bath). They took the lifestyle things, but left us with all the speakers and 2 amps in the basement (3 room amp and a HT amp). A home sound guy (as well as Bose) have told me I need to either rip everything out OR buy a Bose lifestyle system (primarily because most of these speakers as 1.2 ohm).

I have no intention of doing either. I would really like to spend about $1000 and get as much as I can up and running with the thought that each Christmas we'll replace a few more of the Bose speakers. Any ideas on what I can and can't use? We can wait on the surround sound in the LR for a while, but would really like to get the home audio working. Is there a good receiver out there that will drive some of this stuff in the meantime while we save up some $$ to get some real speakers/amps? I'm a newbie on home audio, but I don't like the bose speakers.

Fish

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2115
If those Bose speakers are realy 1.2 ohms you may indeed be out of luck.

I'd just put your $1K into a decent 2-channel system and forget about surround sound or multi-room capabilities for now.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 323
The sad part is that you probably will not even be able to keep the wiring in place. Those usually tiny Bose wires will have tough time pulling juice for larger speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2121
good point Stof.

Geez, I wonder what's worse: moving into a house full of in-ceiling Bose speakers or full of cat pi$$ in the carpets?

Best of luck!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 324
You know my answer to that.

rather b fishin
Unregistered guest
house was wired before the Bose-man came a'knocking, so it's all high quality cable.

so any suggestions on a decent 2 channel system that might possibly be able to drive the bose amps (they shouldn't need anything special should they??)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us