Feedback in speakers......

Username: Apexi1100

Texas

Post Number: 10
I just moved to a new apartement, and even when plugged into a Monster HTS-3500, i am getting feedback through studio monitor speakers. They are KRK Systems RP5. I get feedback whether the reciever is on or not. I, just for kicks, tried plugging the speakers directly into the wall outlet and still get the same feedback. I do not get feedback through any other speakers through out the apartment. Is this the cause of the lack of quality apartment wiring? Also, the switched circuit on my HTS3500 is not functioning properly when i turn it on. It flickers. I have not turned the switch on since that started. What could be the cause of that? Could it be the same problem, with the electricity where I live? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 11
I forgot to mention that I used an 8 gauge wire to go from the ground post of the HTS-3500 to the grounding post of my Reciever. That helped the feedback a little, but was still audible and annoying. I get feedback whether the speakers are plugged into the reciever or not.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 538
Can you describe the sound a bit better than just the word "feedback"? When I think of feedback there's usually a microphone involved. Is it a hum, buzz, a tone of some kind? Don't you love trying to describe sound with words?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5813

If you plugged the speakers directly into the AC wall outlet, I'm surprised the speakers make any sound now. Speakers cannot make a sound when they are not attached to a working amplifier. You need to be much more specific about what you are hearing.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 539
pssst, Jan, they're active

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5816

Hmm, well, then ...

We're still at the point where we don't know what the actual sound is.

Feedback is just that. It is a signal fed to the speaker that is reproduced by the speaker and then fed back to the original source whether that is a microphone or turntable. It is typically a squealling sound which will continue to get louder as the feedback loop continues.

60Hz ground hum is just that also. It is a low frequency note which is constant in volume and frequency.

A "buzz" is higher in frequency, yet typically under 1,000Hz. It also tends to remain constant.

A static noise is higher still in frequency and is not constant.

Do any of those describe what you're hearing?

Do you know how to use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) to check for high and low voltage and ground faults? If not you can get a simple plug in tester at any hardware store for a few dollars which gives you a simple readout of the quality of the AC outlet.

How comfortable are you working around electric outlets?

From what I read, this problem began when you hooked the speakers up in the new location. Are you able to try the speakers in another location to check for proper performance of the speaker in another AC circuit?

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 12
I am very comfortable working around electrical outlets. I would describe it as the 60Hz ground hum. Low hum, that is always there. I think i will pick up a plug in tester on friday when i have time. I can possibly take the speakers to my work place to try there. As far as the tester, I have a decent multi-meter. Can I just use that, and what kind of readings should i be getting? Now on my HTS 3500, the meter on there fluctuates much more often than it did in my previous location.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 13
Thank you for you responses too.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5819

Are the outlets and the plugs on the speakers two blade/pin or three blade/pin grounded?

Do you know what the flickering light on the Monster power strip indicates?

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 14
the outlets are standard, a grounded outlet so i guess two blades and one pin. I have never seen the flickering light, but i can hear a relay or the switch going wild in there. I am almost certain that it is some kind of malfunction unless the source of the hum in the speakers is the cause of this. i may take the speakers and the Power Center to my school and try them there.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 542
It would be interesting to test if neutral is neutral and the ground actually grounded. Sounds like there's definitely a problem there.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5821

That's my first suggestion. Go buy a ground fault/AC outlet tester at Home Depot for a few dollars. Check the condition of the outlets first. If possible, check a speaker on another outlet to make certain you don't have a problem with the speaker's amplifier.

Or, use your VOM and check for a ground connection first. It's not uncommon to find a two wire system being hidden by a three wire outlet. Just touch the probes to the center screw of the outlet cover and the ground pin of the outlet. Have the VOM set to resistance/continuity for this test. If you want to check for voltage switch to AC voltage and you should get your voltage across the two pins.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/vom.html

If you have access to the fuse block/service panel, I would shut down that outlet and do a visual inspection of the wiring. I would not expect a hot/nuetral connection reversal to cause a ground hum, but check for that if you can shut down the outlet.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5838

Here's an article which covers ground loops. It rightly reminds you to check all the outlets on the circuit as one miswired outlet could be affecting everything else wired to that breaker.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Interface.html

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 15
awesome. Thanks for the link. I Will be able to check all my stuff tonight or possibly tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and I will post again when I find the problem. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us