Hsu VTF 2 Mk 2 arrives!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1705
I'm putting this here instead of the sub forum as there is more traffic here and because this is where my peops hang.

I won't be able to do a full evaluation until this weekend but so far I am VERY impressed. It's hooked to the LFE on my NAD T763 while my Era Sub 10 remains connected to one set of pre outs on the C162 pre.

Setup was a breeze, this sub integrated immediately and made it's presence known in the fullness of the sound that I am now getting from my DVD's. So far I have played the music tracks on the 5 star DVD "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", Norah Jones "Live in New Orleans", and The second disc on the latest Eagles DVD.

The sound is full, robust, plump (like real bass) yet tight and well controlled. This sub is far easier to integrate than the SVS was. Hail to Hsu.

I really thought that integrating 2 subs (one ported and the other sealed) would be a bear, not so far. There is only one node that I have found so far. $500 well spent.

Fabulous!

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 128
I love mine, that is for sure!!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1707
Boz Scaggs "Greatest Hits live". Outstanding DVD musically and visually. The Hsu brings out it's fullness. Edster you must hear that DVD. BTW did you ever buy "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". The wonderful thing about using both of my subs, one on each side of the room, is that it has opened up the sound of my multi channel gear considerably.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2111
Boz Scaggs...that's one of the rockers I just never got into it, in fact I can't even name a single song.

No I never could find "SITSOM"---gave up after about 20 minutes of digging at my local Wally.

I would love to hear a comparison of the Hsu and the Era sub for 2-channel music, though!

Which port setting do you have the Hsu on, btw? High output or max extension?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1708
You won't hear a comparison between the 2 subs for 2 channel. The Era is better in every respect musically. I won't be dragging subs around to hook them up differently. I can say that in the $500 price range the Hsu is untouchable. Far better than the SVS and Paradigm subs that I had.

The Hsu is set for max extension, one port plugged.

I can also say that had I bought the Hsu first instead of the SVS I wouldn't even own the Era because I would not have been unsatisfied.

BTW I don't own any Boz Scaggs CD's but the DVD is awesome. The first 2 songs of the encore alone are worth the price of admission. 20 minutes of Boz doing what he loves most and that's playin' the blues.

You owe it to yourself to seek the Mowtown disc even if you have to order it from Amazon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2117
> You won't hear a comparison between the 2 subs for 2 channel. The Era is better in every respect musically.

I understand your reluctance to move around a 70lb. sub but have a hard time understanding how you can be so sure of the Era's superiority without doing an A/B comparison.

Still that's pretty strong praise you've lavised on it. I think when you have the VTF-2 on max extension mode it's basically identical to the STF-2 from what I've been told. I'd be curious to hear what you think of the difference with max output mode.

I'll have to see if I can get some music DVDs from Netflix, I don't have a universal player though.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1713
Trust me Eddie it ain't that hard to tell the difference if you have the requisite experience. The Hsu is outstanding but not up to the Era's standards. It shouldn't be as the Era is a bargain at 1k ($1100 in the finish that I have). Make no mistake about though the Hsu is an unqualified bargain at it's meager price. Relative to the STF 2 it does weigh less and I'm not sure why. I'd bet it is an outstanding sub as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2130
Actually no the STF-2 is 44lbs and the VTF-2 is 57lbs according to the Hsu website.

The VTF-2 has an extra 50wpc and line level low pass inputs, those are the only other 2 differences aside from the adjustable port tuning.

I was tempted to buy one off Audiogon for $380 shipped a few months ago but it would've been without a warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 546
Art, I have this sub and it is great. As you said the bass is not bloated like the SVS however I am not knocking them only that they are good for DVD'S and not music. I found the HSU much better for both worlds and returned the SVS which cost me a heck of a lot more being in Canada.

Just a note to their service. I noticed recently that I had a small noise in the volume control. I called the company and they told me to send back the amp for testing. 2 days after I sent it, they called and said we dicided that we will send you a brand new amp so not to satrt changing parts!!!! I was very happy and within 7 days, the amp went from my house to a new unit installed! Wonderful!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1714
That is what I said Eddie the STF2 weighs less than mine. Wonder why so much less. Hmmm.

Yep Danman it's an outstanding buy. This weekend I will be doing some action flicks to test it's movie meddle. Performance was great with music DVD's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2140
Maybe it's 6 lbs heavier for that extra 50watts and 7 lbs heavier courtesy of the marketing department.

Nah, that's an unfair thing to say about Hsu, they're not Bose.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 551
I think it is a bigger magnet.........not sure!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2146
14lbs heavier magnet? Must be one helluva magnet! : )

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2526
Just look at the specs. Without even doing so, I'll bet the enclosures are different, and it even might have a completely different driver. IMO, it would be smarter to buy one quality well built sub that can do the job right, rather than build a collection of entry level halfpints to do the same job.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1721
I agree, so why don't you follow your advice and buy a good one. I have 2 great subs. The Era is anything but entry level. More lbs per sq inch than that bloated windbag that you bought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2527
Keep dreaming....

If one thing is for certain, as you step up in 'class' with subwoofers, the size and weight go up with quality because to do their demanding job well, pure physics requires it. I've listened to all kinds of subs up to around $4,000, and they've got absolutely nothing on my SVS. You're only mistake was buying a bottom of the line model. What do you expect from bottom of the line in anything??? That's no different than trying to compare Studio100s with little Atoms as far as that goes. I suggest that next time you should set your sights higher than Atoms.

Im happy for you that your lightweight is the best performer in it's 50lb class. However, if you try to put little DeLaHoya in the same ring with Vitali "Dr. Iron Fist" Klitschko, he'll never get past the first round.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2153
troll, troll, troll on the loose

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 172
Paul supports my theory that the farther you get away from a big city the bigger things get. Truck tires, chicks hair, and newly added to the long list...subwoofers like Paul's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2156
you neglected to list big fat @ss people with itty bitty little pea-sized brains...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2531
That's all fine and dandy except for two things.

1. You all know that I live in a large city.

2. Im not fat. Just ask jimv since he was the idiot spamming a personal photo from a yahoo profile in another thread.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1021
Acutually Paul the Atoms are a better speaker than your CVs,you sell size to short,put DeLaHoya in the ring with you and youll never make it out of the first 25 seconds and it would take even less than that for the Atoms to show their superiority over your defunked CVs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2163
actually Paul I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to the prototypical rural bumpkin that you usually sound like in your endless troll-posts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2168
btw Art, what do you mean by "plump" bass? Never heard that adjective used to describe bass before.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1728
I know Eddie, plump was a word that I struggled with but inevitably settled on. The SVS that I owned (very shortly) had plenty of authority but was loose and sloppy, the Era is tight and musically accurate.

While watching the music DVD's the other night (with the Hsu) I watched as the musicians plucked the the bass strings and saw them vibrate and heard simultaneously the sound that correlates with what I was seeing visually and the best word I could come up with was plump. It was tight with authority and the movement that only a ported system allows. I'm afraid I'm not making myself clear. I spent the day in Salem at the Department of Human Services Diversity conference. I recently spent a year on my Service Delivery Area Diversity Committee and today was the big day with Governor Kulongoski and all that good rot. So I'm a bit bushed.

Tell me if you get it. If not we'll discuss it some more. It's really a very good sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2171
So are you saying the Hsu is about in the middle between the SVS's sloppiness and the Era's tightness? It's not quite as tight and accurate as the Era but still very tight and accurate compared to the SVS? And I'd guess that being an ported sub, the Hsu probably puts out more SPL than the Era?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1729
Actually, I don't think that it puts out more spl it just sounds different. However tonight I found a significant problem with the Hsu that I have to call tech support about tomorrow. It has a significant hum. Not good. Will keep informed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2177
hum? That definitely sounds like a defective unit, yikes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1734
The Hsu has a little hum but guess what was causing most of it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2190
Let's see...your sub cable?

Ground loop interference?

Power conditioner/surge protector, or lack thereof?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
AHA! Just got back from the Receivers section. So you're telling me your NAD was causing most of the hum? I am really eager to read the details of your apparent disenchantment with the NAD AVR... Especially how whatever model Yammie you bought compares to the NAD soundwise. I still can't believe that digital Panny would have any trouble at all crushing the Yammie to smithereens though.

Oh well, you KNOW that Paul will have a woody the size of Manhattan once he hears about this... (rolls eyes)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1737
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 37
Actually if you like earth shaking bass some of the SVS offerings are awesome. Each generation of their subs get a little better too. With the right power, a PBUltra cylinder will absolutely leave you shaken, for instance, after watching master and commander. You are in the battle.

If you want this type of experience, then the SVS Far outshines all the HSU offerings. However, thier subs arent great for music. Just can respond fast enough and do get a bit sloppy.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 38
that "can" should be "can't" in my last post

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1743
"after watching master and commander. You are in the battle."

Does this mean you have PTSD!! LOL

I agree with you Marc that the SVS can shake the house but since I listen to a lot of performance DVD's I need that music to sound right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2197
This confirms my general impression that the Hsu subs are adequate for HT and very good for music, while the SVS subs are great for action movies and not very good for music.

A dichotomy that SVS reps on the hometheaterforum.com vehemently argued against, I might add.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2411
BTW Art, which setting have you settled on with your Hsu, max output (32Hz) or max extension (25Hz)?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1872
Max extension. Lord knows I don't need anymore output. My goodness this thing makes noise, Pretty darn good noise at that. I'm using it for HT only. Even for FM and XM I go pure direct mode on the Yammie which means I get only my Era sub and Hafler power amp with the NAD pre as a gain. Good stuff Maynard!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2425
Have you ever tried the max output mode? I'm just curious how much of a difference 7db really makes, whether you can notice it at all, especially for music. In my huge room I could use the extra output if it's really that much "extra."

If it's not noticeable then I might opt for the VTF-2 instead of the STF-2 when I do upgrade my lousy JBL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2426
Have you ever tried the max output mode? I'm just curious how much of a difference 7db really makes, whether you can notice it at all, especially for music. In my huge room I could use the extra output if it's really that much "extra."

If the 7db is not noticeable then I might opt for the VTF-2 instead of the STF-2 when I do upgrade my lousy JBL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us