Arcam FMJ CD36 no HDCD

Username: Queuecumber

Pound Ridge, NY United States

Post Number: 4
I was curious why the last few CD players don't include HDCD? I ordered the FMJ CD36 and have a FMJ CD33 to use in the interim while I wait. The 33 sounds incredible...

Does anyone know the reasoning behind not including HDCD encoding? Does it interfere with the process of upsampling (this seems to make sense to me with my limited knowledge of upsampling, since HDCD adds 4 bits during the transition from 16 bit to analog)? I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned licensing, but I don't see why that would have been the issue, surely anyone willing to pay $2500 USD for a player would pay the extra money for the HDCD option. I would have at least.

I notice a lot of companies are no longer using the HDCD decoding (Meridian as well). Is the new upsampling technology that good, that it eliminates the need for HDCD, or is it just a matter of the good chips no longer being made, or upsampling and HDCD not being able to coexist? If anyone knows any explicit details concerning this issue, I really want to know!

Thank you.

Post Number: 5
I meant decoding instead of encoding in the second paragraph. Sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 309
They probably wanted to use a different digital filter chip. HDCD decoding requires a Pacific Microsystems chip. They may have felt that the new designs may have not sounded as good with the HDCD filter, they may not have want to pay extra for that option, or they may have felt the demand wasn't there.

Post Number: 6
I managed to get in touch with someone at Audiophile Systems to ask them the question. I guess the highest quality chip by Pacific Microsystems is no longer going to be made and in general HDCD is moving into software decoding (my PreAmp processor and DVD player do not have HDCD software decoding, so I need a CD player that handles it). :-(

I changed my order to the Classe CDP-100. My Dick's picks Grateful Dead bootlegs are mostly HDCD, as well as a bunch of other CDs in my collection. Now I will definitely never buy another CD player as long as I live. LOL

Hi-Rez
Unregistered guest
Pacific Microsytems, developers of HDCD were taken over by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/hdcd/hdcdabout.aspx

The above link might provide some info and links.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1427
Now I will definitely never buy another CD player as long as I live. LOL

With a Classe CDP-100, you shouldn't need to!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1719
I concur!

Post Number: 7
Thanks for all the input, and Hi-Rez thanks for that link. Andym on AVForum had this useful info:

As per John Dawson in Mar '03 on the (then) forthcoming CD33:

"The design does not support HDCD for the very practical reason that Pacific Microsonics' PMD100 and subsequent PMD200 parts have both been discontinued by the new owner Microsoft without any replacement. Welcome to the wonderful world of semiconductor parts obsolesence! As it would have massively complicated the new player to attempt to include HDCD on a separate DSP and it only benefits a very limited number of CDs, we don't think it is much of a loss."

Andy

To make a long story short I'll reprint what I posted on AVSforum after someone told me to basically think again about the Classe:

Thanks for the help, I went back and looked at the Classe and compared it to its previous incarnation as the CDP-10.

After careful consideration (and a less than useful encounter with Classe Customer Service) I've come to the conclusion that there are no glaring differences between the CDP-10 and CDP-100 to spark my interest, besides the look-and-feel and TFT display. The customer Support rep was also less than useful in telling me what the actual differences were, even after I caught him pulling my leg with the "DAC is improved" statement (The CDP-10 and CDP-100 both use the same DACS!). All he could tell me after leaving me on hold for a few minutes, was that after comparing the innards side by side that the circuit paths were different. Sorry, but that isn't explicit enough to get my vote of confidence.

I decided to go with a Meridian G08 after testing it at home (it blew the FMJ 33 away IMO). I have both the Meridian G08 and the Arcam FMJ 33 right now until the audio store where I bought the Meridian receives my order. The Arcam lacked cohesion with a lot of music I listen to, especially classical, the Meridian didn't.

As far as HDCD decoding, I've decided to splurge money on a Denon 5910 for DVD, SACD, DVD-A and HDCD. That should take care of me until Blue-tooth and/or HD-DVD become fairly established, that is, if they ever do...

Post Number: 8
The Arcam lacked the ability to create cohesion out of the different elements in the music I listen to, especially classical, the Meridian didn't. It often sounded/felt like the musicians were not quite in synch.

* I wanted to edit the above post's line about cohesion so it would make sense...

Post Number: 9
Oops... I meant Blu-Ray, not Bluetooth!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hah! I changed my mind again. I took the Meridian back and bought a Wadia 302!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 627
Geez Jeff,

You can just send me whatever's left when you're done. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Dak, a major buying point on the Wadia 302 vs the Meridian g08 is the built in preamp on the Wadia. In a year or two I can move it upstairs to the bedroom and get 2 channel amp and pair of speakers and play music in bed. At that point I'll probably get the dCS 3 piece CD components for my dedicated home theatre system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us