Yamaha RXV 1500 With Onkyo SKS HT240

Vid
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a room of about 350 sq ft.I watch movies and listen to classical, jazz, and alternative.Looking at A+B, Multi Zone Rx, and Small Speakers which are easy to carry.Looking at anything upto $900/1k in totality. Will this combo work.Any other suggestions for Rx/Speakers

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2047
If you must have surround sound:

Athena AS-B1s bookshelves, 2 pairs = $200
and
Athena AS-C1 center = $100, audioadvisor.com

Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver, $230 shipped, amazon.com

Hsu STF-2 powered subwoofer, $400 from hsuresearch.com

The Onkyo combo set you're looking at is not good, like most packaged sets. The Yamaha 1500 is not bad for HT, but will be quite bright with music especially with cheap HTIB speakers.

That Panny on the other hand is a stunning little marvel, do a search here and on avsforum.com and hometheaterforum.com for all the raves from people who've given up much more expensive equipment for it.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2481
The 1500 is a very nice well rounded receiver and an all round good performer. I wouldnt pay much attention to what eddie says because he has no experience with that model. I do however own the 2500 and can speak from experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2069
Actually I have heard the 1500, my cousin has it and she was complaining about listening fatigue when listening to music. Otherwise she likes it OK for movies.

I confess to not hearing the 2500 though.

But it's nice to see you trying to make your case based on a somewhat logical (if incorrect) argument instead of your usual rote insults, Paul.

Username: Moosh

Madisoin, WI

Post Number: 1
I need help finding a receiver for my Onkyo HT240 speakers that is not too bright and sounds beautiful of course. I have read all sorts of customer reviews and comments saying the Onkyo SR502 receiver was an excellent value and that the Onkyo HT240 speakers were the greatest, and various comments about the prospects of putting them together. I bought them for good deals online ($350 Ht240's VANN's, $140 SR502 Ubid factory reconditioned). I couldn't find the HT240 speakers anywhere in town to actually hear them. This receiver and speaker pair does in fact product a very bright and "tinny" sound. I am turning the Treble down to -12 dB until I can find a receiver that matches this speaker setup better. I'm not knocking the speakers; I just think the SR502 doesn't go well at all with these speakers, it is just way way too bright. FM stereo is incredibly bright more than DVD with a CD in at equivalent settings (Dolby ProLogic IIx or what have you). The CNET review of the SR502 actually warned of pairing with a bright set of speakers. I didn't know the 240's were so bright. Anyway, I believe it is just a case of mismatched bright receiver and speakers, and I would appreciate your help and experience in recommending a receiver under about $500 to make these speakers live up to what they are all about - the full range I've read all about, not piercing headachy cymbals and "s"'s in the singing, but more like how cymbals and "s"'s sound in a live music show you see.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2589
look at the refurb Marantz receivers from accessories4less.com with 1-year Marantz warranty.

$500 should get you a refurb 5400 or 5500 for that "warm" sound if you are determined to keep the Onkyo speakers.

Or look at refurb HKs from Harman Audio on eBay, with full original HK warranty. HKs are said to be more "neutral" than "warm" however---but certainly not "bright."

The 502 probably sounds "bright" in part because Onkyo receivers tend to be underpowered with inflated RMS claims.

But I would not expect much from HTIB speakers, period. Especially not any sort of decent sound quality for music.

This is now a moot point obviously, but for $350 you would've been better off buying a $350 pair of bookshelf speakers.

And while CNET does OK with computer related reviews, their audio reviews though are often very suspect.

jbarber
Unregistered guest
I am using a Yamaha 2500 with Athena F1s, Asc1 and ASp6000 and I listen to about half and half for movies and music. I am using the flat equalization and music sounds excellent. I have been listening to this system for about six months now and it is not bright nor is it tiring. You can make the system sound anyway you want there are so many options available. The natural setting actually sounds dull. I spend a long time comparing the Yamaha and a Denon 3805 on my speakers and I picked the Yamaha however that being said there were very small differences and either one would have been a good choice.

James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us