Help a newbie in need

Username: Gmnty4

Post Number: 1
I am starting to lose my mind!!! I have about 50 gig's of music on my computer and don't want to listen to it through a crap stereo anymore so my plan is to buy a decent pair of speakers and reciver and have the music sent wirelesss to the reciver... my dillema is I don't know squat about stereo equipment. I don't know what to buy the BB guy's are morons... I need help. Do I buy Bose or Polk??? My budget is around 6-800 for speakers. I want something good that is going to give me good crisp clear sound and last a long time but I don't need something that is theoretically good where I won't notice the difference unless I have an acoustically prepared space... so PLEASE HELP me i'm starting to lose it with an over load of information!!!

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2014
skip Best Buy completely, their selection is garbage mostly except for the Athenas, even Circuit City at least has Infinity.

Bose is the ultimate overpriced overhyped garbage so cross that off your list ASAP.

Polk doesn't get decent until the RTi line and the LSi line is their best, both however are a bit overpriced compared to what else is available especially from Internet-direct companies.

$600-800 is for how many speakers?

How much is your TOTAL budget including the receiver?

also: room size? Music types?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 544
Gary -

If you're looking to keep costs down and stream music wirelessly, check out the Sonos music server (sonos.com I think). It has a built in amplifier, can stream wirelessly, etc. All you'd need are a wireless router (unless you already have one) and a pair of speakers. I've heard it and it sounds very respectible. It's about $400 retail. The controller costs about $300, but you can skip that part and use your computer.

As for speakers, same opinions here as edster mentioned.

Post Number: 2
I think i'm going to buy the sonos but I still need speakers I have a big open living room that is open into a hall way and a kitchen. It's 8.5 feet high about 14' wide and 20' long ... Bose and polk are gone I'm with you guy's... I listen tn a mix of music from the 60's to today including rock, harcore punk, rap etc.. blues jazz you name it I listen to it sooner or later but I don't blast the stereo. I don't need to "feel the bass" like when I was 17. So I still need help!!!! thx

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 40

Have you considered used speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2041
Instead of the Sonos this is what I'd get for under $300:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009PUM0

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009E1YPM

Cheaper, sure to be better SQ and much more expandable/versatile, plus if one part breaks you can just replace that instead of the whole thing. I tend to be leery of all-in-one packages, I guess.

Then all you need is either a good pair of floorstanders, or a pair of bookshelves and subwoofer. And a cheap $60 DVD player if you don't have one already.

Post Number: 3
I like the sonos becuase of the remote and ease of use it has gotten amazing reviews... although a bit pricey I don't know of anything that can compare... you can get Airport express but then it shuts down your ability to have a wireless network outside of it, So bottom line I ordered it and am going to give it a try.. 30 day money back gaurentee!!!! LOL anyway I still need speakers... what should I buy??? so many choices I don't know what to pick....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us