Best Speakers for Music & HT

Bronze Member
Username: Raks

Post Number: 61
All,

The speakers under consideration are from Totem and are:

Forest , Hawks, Arros

1. Which one is best for Music only ?

2. Which one is best for HT (L/R Mains ) only application ?

3. Best one for both Music and HT Mains L/R Speakers ? ( basicaly a good compromise )

Let us not worry about electronics. I will get good amps atleast in the near future if not now.

Thanks
Raks

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2450
If you like inefficient speakers that dont play loud...

Totems are the way to go.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1680
You can ignore Paul as he is developmentally delayed.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1092
Rakesh, no one can answer what is best for the way you hear music. Audition and decide for yourself. How much can my opinion really help you?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1980
LOL, Art is very diplomatic today...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Paul,

I really liked the sound of Totem Speakers. But at the same time I am open for suggestions and will go audition them. Please let me know the speakers tht you would recommend within a price range of $2400/pair that works for both Music and HT. I like warm sounding speakers. For example i liked

B&W 703 ( not 704 ) for HT & Music
Linn Ninkas in Music. Not auditioned HT yet.
Spendorf S5e for Music. No HT audition yet

But I am open for suggestions. Please let me know.

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Dale,
I have auditiond Totem Arros and Forests for Music. But the dealer does not carry Hawks. Aso no HT audition was done with Forests and Arros. So I was loking for opinion with so many totem owners around.

Raks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2451
Unfortunately, there arent very many good speakers being built anymore. If I was forced to buy speakers, I would probably buy a pair of Klipsch RF-7s. Dont get totems because they're weak.

Anonymous

heh, as if Paul has ever been anywhere near a Totem speaker outside of their website!

what a jackass...

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1099
Rakesh, living in a small town myself, I can understand your dilemma. But I would never make a major speaker purchase sound unheard and based only on the opinions of others, unless I personally knew those individuals and understood their biases. Good luck. In general, I don't like Totems or Forests. To me, they sound like there is a veil over the music. But what do I know?

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 170
Rakesh, you would definitely need to listen to Klipsch RF-7s before buying them. They are very good speakers but horns can drive some people nuts after a while. They can rock really loud which seems to be a prerequisite for the new resident idiot around here Paul. I heard the Reference series and didn't like them as much as the Heritage series. You may love the sound of horns, many do and many do not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
> They can rock really loud which seems to be a prerequisite for the new resident idiot around here Paul.

"new???"

The man has over 2400 posts, he's about as "new" at his usual trolling habits as a decades-old herpes sore.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 171
"new???"

The man has over 2400 posts, he's about as "new" at his usual trolling habits as a decades-old herpes sore.
------------------
Yeah, I guess he's just new to me. I hadnt been around here for many months. He really has posted a lot of crap hasn't he.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Hi,

I am really looking for feedback on the comparision between the three totem speakers namely:

Arros, Hawks and Forests.

These are the only ones I can afford in Totem. Can you please advise ? I dont mind spending money on getting some very musical integrated stereo amps like Musical Fidelity X-150 (or) Musical fidelity A3.2 for 2 channel listening.

Raks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2507
Rak,
Dont you want more speaker than those?? If I were you, I'd look at more brands because you can find 'a lot' more speaker than those from other makers and still stay within your budget. Rather than buy bottom of the line totems, you could probably find a nice middle of the line model from somebody else that will give you much more speaker for your money. With totem, all you'll be doing is buying a very small and inefficient speaker that cant handle any power. Not a good combo.....IMO

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1006
Paul you half wit quit comenting on things that you dont know anything about like audio.Rakesha Totem is unlike most speaker companies they cant be judged by price or size,they all bring something to the table thats different and special.Now Ive voiced this many Times about totems the Arros are the best ones to me,but what you are gonna have to is go take a serious listen to all of them and then make a decision,only you can determine which speaker you like most.So good luck and dont ever take any advice from Paul,thats like beleiving that Bush cared about the people in New Orleans,so good luck and fun its all fun.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 317
Actually Paul, the opposite should hold true. If a speaker is an less efficient design such as acoustic suspension , leans towards a low impedence or has miserably low sensitivity 85dBl or lower or a combination of these, it will handle a lot of power because it will require more power to be driven effectively.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Tawaun & Everyone,

Please check my other posting titled "Totem Setup"

Thanks

Raks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2508
Eric,
Not totems. That was my point. Because totems are both inefficient, and cannot handle power, why would you want them??

Taw, it only figures you're a dimocrat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2116
...and that you're a Retardican, Paul. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2512
Eddie,
If you dont cut that out, I may have to pull a "Jan" and ask to have you banned from this forum.

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2118
HEH

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 32
Paul,
Sincerely, do you realize how absurd your posts are? For a man who considers himself a grown up you show a very low maturity level. Every comment you make sounds like is coming from a child. I wonder what kind of job do you hold given that you post here everyday at different times, you must not have anything of great importance to drive your life. Even more, you are so ignorant and blind that you firmly believe in a political party that has no intention to look after any person in this or other countries, politics my friend same as anyone in this world do what they do for money just the money. So, I view them as people who are in an office doing their "jobs" but not as people I should follow as if I were a sheep.
You are a "non value added activity" to this society, in other words you could be considered as "scrap". I think of you a person with no childhood who now wants to get back everything that could not get as a youngster.

I fell sorry for you man.
Grow up

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 318
Tha's funny Paul,but actually I don't care for politics,sorry to dissapoint you. Anyway Rakesh if you are listening, you should probably consider a system geared more towards music. I'm sure the totems are a good speaker for music, I must admit though that I have never auditioned them. But I do know that I have heard Paradigms,PSB,Monitor Audio,Klipsh reference. Any of these when mated with a top notch receiver or good multichannel amp will offer excellent music capability and superb home theater sound. I don't believe the Totems could offer the serious home theater performance that these other brands I mentioned could.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2515
I agree, the totems should be ok for music, providing you're only looking for something to play background music. So long as you are NOT expecting any 'room-filling' sound, you wont be disappointed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2134
WARNING: ABANDON ALL HOPE, ALL YE WHO HAVE ENTERED PAUL'S BROKEN-RECORD ZONE!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1012
Paul I used to be a demacrat,but aside from demacrat,republican whatever,I now declare myself a independent,but regardless of parties Bush is a selfish idiotic warmoniger with a serious speach inpedament because all he does is drink oil thats all he thinks about.I would say im through with politics like Eric Lawrence said,but I cant and nore can anyonelse because what He does affects us all to greatly to do .If you want to back Bush thats your poragative,but because of him my wife and many others may be going back to Iraq or even Iran,but that explains your ignorancy you think one track minded just like him,since you are part of his cabinet why dont loan him some of your superior diction and maybe we all can hear that we are all screwed ahead of time.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1715
Warning to all: All of the political b.s. is like a broken record. TW, my son is in Iraq for the second time that really has nothing to do with who you support. Frankly, at this point having beaten this to death recently with another distinguished member of this forum I think I have heard enough of it. Please don't take that as I'm telling anyone what to do because I'm not, I'm just expressing my opinion about even starting down this path again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
Im not taking it like that Art,I dont wanna talk politics either,the things my family has been through the last year and a half and worst of all my 2 year old daughter going for a whole year without her mommy and being 7 months old when she left I have every right to feel the way I feel about Iraq.It isnt funny Paul the way you loosely throw coments around without thinking and not caring how people feel about them,you really need to grow up man,one of these days you are gonna find yourself on the wrong end of your mouth and you wont be able to say Oh heck whatever like you do often.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2517
Paul I used to be a demacrat,but aside from demacrat,
---------

Most Democrats are too stupid to even spell it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Tawaun & Other Totem Owners,

Let me get this thread back on track.

Paul is saying Totems are not good fit for HT effects. Can you please let me know your opinion on that ? I am planning to include a SVS-PB12-Plus (or) HSU VTF-3 MKII sub along with Totem Forests (or) Totem Hawks as the fronts. Please let me know whether this will give me all the zip-zoom-bang effects of HT...My room size is 16 x 16 x 8

Paul...The only reason why I have not bought Totem yet is ...to make sure of its HT effects

Thanks
Raks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2521
Rak,
If you buy small and inefficient front speakers, you will 'sort of' defeat the purpose of a quality subwoofer because when you calibrate the sub, you'll be turning it 'DOWN' to the level of your fronts. Make any sense??? You need fronts that can create enough output to be able to get the most from your sub. Otherwise, when you calibrate it, you'll simply be turning the gain down to the level of your fronts. To have a calibrated and 'rocking' system, you need fronts that can keep up with your subwoofer capabilities.

BTW, as you probably know, I have the Plus2 and cant say enough about it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1717
If you buy speakers as good as Totem's I certainly wouldn't wreck the sound with a sub as bad as an SVS. I would suggest a REL or Vandersteen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Art,

Since you are saying Totems are good speakers, can you please confirm about their HT performance ?

If you dont recomend SVS, do you think I can go for GSU-VTF3 MK II ?

Tawaun: Can you please answer my previous question ?

Thanks

Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Tawaun,

Paul is mentioning some points which are pretty valid. Does it mean Forests / Hawks can not server as front L/R speakers in HT ?

Thanks
Raks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1018
Rakesha youve been on this forum for a while ,you have seen enough of Pauls posts to know that he is a feable minded idiot.Always remember this 9.5 times out of 10 a speaker that can play music good can play home theater good,the bass of the Hawks and the Forest are as big as Pauls oversized CVs and a million more times as detailed,now Rekesha its time for you to go out and do some serious listening and find you something you like we have given all the advice we can give you,remember its fun you are about to get a system that lots of people cant get good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
Paul as child minded as you are im suprised you can read or does your wife write all your posts for you?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1722
Rakesh I already made my suggestions for subs that are equal in quality to Totems, REL and Vandersteen. Hsu makes a fine sub but musically it can't keep up with the 2 that I have listed.

"Paul is mentioning some points which are pretty valid. Does it mean Forests / Hawks can not server as front L/R speakers in HT ?"

Most of us on this forum had better systems than Paul by the time we were 13 yrs old. Paul knows very little (understatement) about audio and especially high end audio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2528
I think not. Just because you own a few snake oil soaked pieces with snob approved brandnames, doesnt make it better. The way I see it, it only gives them the excuse to charge more for less because they realize there are enough suckers out there willing to throw their money away. You forget that I've shopped extensively, and auditioned many of the brands discussed in this forum, and I'm here to tell you that many are overhyped and overpriced. For my theater uses, I wouldnt trade my trusty old behemoths even-up for a pair of $8,000 KEF towers that I auditioned earlier this year.

You see a lot of the same ripoffs in the cabling industry. While many are willing to throw their money away on $50/ft speakerwire, the smart shoppers buy their 12AWG wire at Lowes for a fraction of the price for the very same copper. The snotbs will say.... "but my copper is super duper spaced aged copper" LOL

As it is with anything, there are 'horses for courses', and you should buy the correct speakers for your intended use. If you dont, you'll get poor results. As it relates to HT, if you 'settle' for weak, small, or inefficient speakers, your HT will be weak and unimpressive unless you like to play your movies quietly as if it were background wine tasting music.

For the same reasons, if you're into cheese nibbling music, and you plant yourself in the sweet spot on your perch 6feet in front of my speakers to prepare yourself to strain, squint and critique every subtlety of your chamber music recording, you'll get less than impressive results.

Anonymous

I'm new to anything of audiophile quality. I've just crawled through the muck of consumer line stereo prod. A pretty miserable existence considering that I love listening to music. I'm not familiar with any of the technical jargon when describing equipment. What I am seeking is an entry level system with great detail (not overwhelming bass). I rent so I don't need something over-the-top, just clarity. I listen to jazz, blues, hard rock, pretty much everything except rap and country. Suggestions? (bkshlv spkr & IA).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2167
clarity & great detail: Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver (see long thread in Receivers section) plus CBM-170 speakers and Hsu STF-2 subwoofer (ascendacoustics.com)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1034
Well Paul you really are a idiot if you are wouldnt trade those dreadful CVs for a pair of $8000 Reffereces.So Paul where is it that you think your CVs are better than the Kefs take in mind Paul most of us have heard your CVs.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 898
Rakesh

As you know I have some experience with Totems. I have used different combinations in both HT and music scenarios.

One of the strengths of the Totem range is that each speaker has a subtly different sound to the next. However, the Forest is a significantly superior speaker to the Arro, provided you can drive it properly.

Contrary to Paul's earlier note, the Totems have very good power handling. They can cope with significantly more power than you would expect over a longer period of time than typically efficient designs. Paul's CVs and some JBLs are the exceptions to the rule that efficient speakers can't cope. Either way, this means the speakers can cope with power demands. However, they don't necessarily go as loud in some cases.

For example the Arro, it's an amazing speaker. Tiny box with tiny main drive unit. And yet it comes out with a big sound that would credit a much larger speaker. That said, that little drive unit can only go so far, and this is one area where the Hawk and Forest score heavily over the Arro. they breathe more easily when driven loudly. Now, when I say driven loudly I really do mean loud!

I really like the Hawk. In one way in particular it is possibly better than the Forest. Itdoesn't have the prominence in the bass of the Forest. I sometimes find that the Forest's bass is a bit too much (yes, they have a very big sound, but this needs to be controlled a bit metter I think). This balance in the Forest changed when they updated it recently. I still think the Forest is an excellent speaker, just a bit too fruity for my taste.

All three speakers are fine as front speakers in a stereo or 5:1 scenario. The Totems throw up this marvellous large sound from a very small box and this makes them very much easier to place in the room as well as more impervious to cabinet resonance, giving them a good clean sound throughout their operating range. It's a pity you can't hear the Hawk and so I cannot recommend it to you absolutely. The Forest is another beast entirely but it needs driving with a powerful amplifier with plenty of current capability. The Arro is easier to drive and more forgiving of rooms, but it is a little limited in its ultimate loudness (still loud, just not as loud as some maniacs would like to have).

As to subs, the Totems have a very fast presentation, so it's important to have a fast sub. It doesn't have to be massive, but it has to integrate well. I have used the Totems successfully with Totem's own subs. They are timbre matched so the integration is easy and it works - even the little sub (another miracle of miniaturisation) works well. The Thunder is actually very accomplished indeed. Otherwise try to choose a sealed sub (no port) so that you minimise the effects of cabinet colouration. I'm thinking of the REL ST range such as the Stampede which works well with the Totems too.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1036
Frank me and you have been here before the only thing the Forrest can do better than the Arro is play louder,In every other way the Arro dismisses them quite easily,in fact the Forrest is the one dull spot in the Totem lineup,they are souless.If you want most of what the Arro gives you the Hawk is the better choice than the Forrest,but neither can cast the sounstage like the Arros can,neither is more organic in the midrange and neither is more acurate in the bass,with qaulity amplication the Arrro can play quite loud and with authority.The Arros tone is the one thing that the rest of Totems cant duplicate.Rakesha the Forrest are utterly overpriced for what they offer and the one Totem I would stay away from.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Tawaun and Frank,

I was exchanging some PMs with another Totem Owner who has 2 Forests as left / right, Model 1 Sig Center and Model-1 Rears. He says all of them are tibre matched and they perform very well for both Music and HT. He specifically told Forests perform better than Hawks in HT effects,

As per the above postings, Tawaun likes Arro and does not like Forest and Frank likes all three with special interest in Hawks.

1. Will Arro perform as well as Hawks for HT Mains ?

2. Will Hawks be better than Forsts for Music and HT ?

3. Some folks sugested me that Hawks combine the best of both Arros and Staff. That is why I was thinking of Hawks for rears.

Here is the actual reason for asking these questions. I am planning to use my HT rear speakers to be either Arros (or) Hawks (or) Model-1s and will be trying to use the rear speakes for Music in-case i am not watching any movie ...I can go for these set-ups

1. Hawks Mains, Arros Rears, Model-1 Sig Center. Will this combination be timbre matched for HT ?

2. Arros as Mains and Rears, Model-1 Sig Center

3. Forests as Mains, Model-1 Sig Center, Arros as rears

4. Forests as Mains, Model -1 sig center and Hawks as rear speakers

Can you please help ?

Thanks
Raks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
fifth set-up is:

5. Hawks as Mains, Model-1 Sig Center, Hawks as rears.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 140
Rakesh,

What kind of amplification do you plan to use with the the suggested setups you propose? If you slouch on the amplification the speakers will let you know.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 142
Disregard my previous post.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us