Using an Integrated Amp as a Preamp source

Username: Kkm

Post Number: 1
I'm considering purchasing an NAD c272 to power a pair of B&W 704s or 604s. Would I get good sound if I used my existing NAD integrated amp as a preamp source for the c272? The NAD integrated amp would also be used to power a pair of three way floor standing Klipsch speakers. Would it be better to just get a new preamp and uses the c272 for both sets of speakers? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 542
Everyone's opinion of "good sound" is different. From what I've heard from others, the pre-amp sections of NAD's integrateds are very good. I've never used either of my NAD integrateds (304 and 320BEE) as a pre-amp, so I couldn't tell you first hand. I think a seperate pre-amp would most likely sound better than the integrated, but how much better and would it be worth the money are up to you. No one will really be able to answer this question but you.

Since you already have the integrated, I'd try using it as a pre-amp and see what happens. Also, if you're buying the C272 from a dealer, see if they will let you bring the integrated in to listen to it as a pre-amp. You most likely could compare it side by side against the C272 and C162 (dedicated pre-amp) to see if it would or wouldn't be worth buying the pre-amp.

Also, a dedicated pre-amp may have more inputs than your current integrated. It may have a phono input, digital input, remote control, etc. Sound quality is obviously an important thing, but it isn't the only thing built into the cost. If it sounds marginally better, but you need a few extra inputs, a phono input, or a remote control, it may be worth it for you to buy it. Or it may not.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 349
i'm pretty sure that NAD still puts phono preamps in most of it's gear.

you could definately get worse preamps. one nice thing about NAD is all of it's bypass switches, but then again, alot of high end preamps are little more than switchers and volume controls and are already "bypassed".

you could always just use it as a temporary preamp if you find one that's alot better and in your budget down the road.

i'll be doing the same thing with my NAD reciever after i get maggies. eventually, i'll just use it as a preamp once i get better matched amps.

every change you make to your system doesn't have to be "all or nothing".

when you decide to get a dedicated preamp, you can just recycle your old unit and get some cash back.

besides, if you use vinyl, NAD has always gotten thumbs up for their phono stages.

you could do worse, but there is also better.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 529
Before buying a second C272 and C162 Pre-amp, I used my C372 and C272 together vertically bi-amped in bridge mode. When I got the dedicated equipment (seperates) that I have now, I only noticed a very slight difference in sound if at all. I do not know what NAD integrated you have now but I can say through experience, you will not notice much difference. I wanted the physical aspect of seperates more than anything but could of easily lived with my initial set-up.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 556
Budget - NAD doesn't put phono sections in their integrateds anymore. They do put them in the dedicated pre-amp - C162. They make a seperate phono pre-amp, the P P-2 for $129. Very good phono pre-amp for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1698
The NAD phono pre amp is very good for the money and it is the same one that is inside of the C162.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 358
oh... they USED TO put phono sections in everything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us