What is the best Cables to use when connecting the amp to pre-amp?

Anonymous

Question for someone who knows more that me: I have a denon 4800 (THX Ultra, w/ THX Surround EX) that I'm using now as a pre-amp for some of the channels with two other amps powering the center and surround back. (With about 14 Speakers in total for a movie room with nice 106 inch screen) I'm currently using Monster Cable digital coax connections(I think interlink 100??) to connect from the pre-outs of the reciever to the other amps with a few spliters allowing me to connect from one pre-out (say left surround) into 2 separate channels on a 125 wpc amp. It sounds fine.. but I'm wondering if I could hook this up a better way.

1st Question: Could I have just used RCA cables or did I need to use digital coax or does it make a difference since I'm only outputting one channel per one cable?

2nd Question: Could I have just hooked up multple speaker connections from one terminal with a higher power amp. (Say 200 wpc instead of 125) to avoid the use of a spliter? Also to do this do you just hook up two speakers per one terminal connection?

Also.. any advice on the best way to run 14 speakers throughout the room with 7.1 system? Just get a bigger amp and run two speakers per channel?

Thanks...
Sincerly,
"A/V Novice"

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 334
you SHOULD NOT use coax cables for your line level gear. that's not what it was intended for. it's intended for digital signals and/or video signals. it's 2000ohm cable. it's highly resistant to limit RF interference.

yes, you should use regular RCA cables. as to "the best" it's debateable. i know that i heard an improvement when i went from factory RCA cables to $35 monster cables, but i've bought some $12 heavy duty "generic" cables from MCM that aren't shabby. i never compared them to the monsters.

i'm using the monsters for video in, and a dollar store video cable sending digital in to my reciever sounds better than the monster running line in (audio) from my DVD player.

a stereophile writer was smitten by cheap AR cables that he bought at best buy.

after that, you can spend several THOUSAND on interconnects if you want to.

PBJ silver cables are fairly respected in the sub $100 range for cables.

no, you shouldn't run two speakers of one output. you'll be giving your reciever a 4 ohm load, and recievers don't like that. you could fry your amp if you crank it.

if you want to run multiple speakers and a surround amp, you should be all set to listen in 4 channel mode. 14 speakers? that's overkill isn't it? 2 rear surrounds should be adequate.

denon isn't rated for 4 ohm loads. if you ABSOLUTELY had to do it, you'd have to mix series and paralell to stay around 8 ohms.

if you hook 2 speakers up "normally" to an amp, that's a four ohm load. (paralell i believe). when you hook one speaker's positive up normally and the other's negative up normally and then run a cable FROM SPEAKER TO SPEAKER (NOT AMP) then you'll double your impedence.

if you have a pair of speakers wired for series and another pair in series, and then paralell them into one output, the impedence halving and doubling will cancel out. you'd be better off doing this than doing 2 speakers.

make sure you understand this before you try it.

hopefully i explained it clearly.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I want to connect 4 speakers to my hifi but only have 2 speaker outputs. L R +/-.
Is this posible? I just have the normal speaker terminals (modern) spring things.
Any ideas... COuld i just put two speakers into one connector, or would it damage the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5770

If you only have spring terminals, yes, it might damage something.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 354
it would damage your amp before your speakers. amps are designed to operate with loads that resist their power.

adding a second speaker to the same terminal will cut your amps resistance in half, and is one step closer to wiring the amp's positive terminal straight into the negative terminal which is a pure "short circuit"

that's why electronics have fuses. fuses keep too much current from flowing through a circuit and damaging it. adding more and more speakers to the same terminal without paying attention to impedence creates more and more of a short circuit.

trust me... you don't want to see an amp short circuit! when a wire came loose on my sub and shorted, even at low volumes it fried my reciever.

first came the flashbulb bright light, then the smoke, then the glow of internal fire and a nasty smell.

you don't want to see that happen. i promise.

Username: Alexinmiami

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hi to everyone. Sorry to ask this stupid question, but I just don't know what to do. I just bought a Pioneer S-FCRW2500 Surrounding for my place. I have 2 cables (an optical and another one coax digital) and when hooking the optical up from the DVD to the Receiver, I get no sound (works fine with RCA and the coax). Please help me... (I dont even know if sound can be transmitted with that cable hahaha (it has the little red light beam comming out)... =o)...
Thanks in advance... alexanderj_sols@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us