Db-bass made purchase, everybody cheer!

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 360
alright im sure this news is as excited to you guys as it is me, last night i purchased the digital panasonic off amazon, along with some Athena AS-B1's and an AS-C1 center off audioadvisor.

This few seconds of celebration is all you get though cuz im not leavin yet.
I have approx. 5 days until both shippments come in which during i need to buy all the cables, wire, banana plugs(if needed), etc.
What exactly am i going to need to buy to get everything set up. I wont need anything for floor speakers or a subwoofer yet, im waiting on those. thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 372
I would get a 50 or 100 foot spool of 14 gauge wiring to start with. Banana plugs aren't really a requirement but they are convenient to have, particularly with receivers that have crappy terminals. As for interconnects from sources to your receiver, depends on what all you're connecting. For a DVD player you may as well use the digital coax connection. Gold plated connectors with some shielding + insulation is nice. For a seperate CD player a good optical cable by Acoustic Research should do the trick

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 307
"I would get a 50 or 100 foot spool of 14 gauge wiring to start with."

Go to Home Depot

Here are some good, really cheap banana plugs:

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/detail.php?m_id=473&price=2.45

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
for now im only connecting the two bookshelfs, center, and dvd player. I dont have a cd player im hoping to be able to connect my mp3 player up to it using one of the inputs. i do this with my car receiver using the "aux-in" input, will i be able to do the same with the panny?

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
You may need an adapter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
regarding the interconnects and gold plated connectors above, what are these used for and approximately how much should i spend on them, how many will i need? i just dont want to walk into an audio store and have them rip me off b/c my ignorance toward wiring.
will i need any cables, i see a bunch of expensive ones on the net but nobody has mentioned them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
To connect your DVD player get a digital coax cable. Something like this should be sufficient.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4251954&type=product&id=1051384791 747

For 14 gauge speaker wire the cost is about 40 cents a foot. Make sure the insulation is ok and has some kind of indicator on one side so you don't have any problems wiring your speakers in phase. Also make sure the copper is relatively nice and shiny and not green and degraded.

Other than a possible adapter for your mp3 player you don't really need anything else...

Don't worry about real expensive cables. There isn't much point to spending more on wiring than you did on your speakers after all.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1917
db,

whew...finally!

I say go with the cheapest generic speaker cable you can find, as long it's 16 gauge or under you'll be fine. Even Jan here uses HomeDepot extension lamp cord which is even cheaper, just check to make sure that it's no smaller than 16 gauge.

The banana plugs you can get real cheap on eBay in a pack of 3-10 pairs (for 3 speakers you'll need a total of 12 bananas). Some people here dislike the twist-in banana plugs in favor of the soldered ones but I've had no problems with mine, you just have to be a little careful when plugging and unplugging them not to accidently loosen the twist-in part.

The coax cable between your DVD and receiver you can get from RadioShack, HomeDepot, Walmart, etc. for under $10.

I would not buy anything from Best Buy or Circuit City, they always gouge you on the cables & accessories.

Save your money for some good speaker stands if you don't have any already---proper elevation and positioning of your speakers will make 1000x more difference than cables & interconnects.

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
Actually its funny the Phillips digital coax cable I found on Walmarts website is 16 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 980
Just go to Radio Shack and get wired up and enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
ok so tell me if im wrong here. the banana plugs connect the speaker wire to both the speaker and the receiver. the digital coax cable connects the dvd player and receiver through the "coax in" receiver input.
im still confused on the interconnects, devils advocate mentioned "Gold plated connectors with some shielding + insulation is nice" above. Are these interconnects or what exactly are you talking about. And besides the digital coax, which iterconnects will i need (if any)

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
"im still confused on the interconnects, devils advocate mentioned "Gold plated connectors with some shielding + insulation is nice" above. Are these interconnects or what exactly are you talking about. And besides the digital coax, which iterconnects will i need (if any)"

The gold plated connectors, etc is in reference to the digital coax cable. Other than a connector for your mp3 player, you're set.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 525
db - Don't think you've won any awards just yet. I seem to recall several people who took longer than you did. Does the name Timmothy Dannenhoffer ring any bells with people?

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
i cant imagine im the worst. i went to Radioshack today and found a Monster Cable digital coax for $20. what do you think of this one, or would the Monster one be better?
http://www.accessories4less.com/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=1454-EVEREST-8605OTH DW99&ic=IXOS%2D1061%2D050&cc=&tpc=

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
That one will do fine. No need to pay 20 bucks for Monster Cable.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1922
MC is the Bose of cables. Avoid or be gouged.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1654
Agreed. However, their power conditioners are some of the best.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 982
Yeah monster does Art,but dont give him something else to run around with his head cut off like a chicken

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
So how about...are you still reading or cursing at me for asking a new question. J/K no question. ill stay away from Monster, just because Walmart carries it so it must be crap.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 502
Hey,

Monster Cable isn't crap, it's just overpriced. Since my kids were working at BB this past summer, I purchased their cable and paid about the same as what you'd pay for the cheaper stuff at Radio Shack. It sounds absolutely fine but I got it for about 1/4 of regular price. I LOVE MY KIDS.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1658
Trust me Dave you can do better than Monster and not spend more.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
What does "wiring your speakers in phase" mean.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 527
Did someone mention banana plugs? There are good ones and bad ones. These are good ones.
http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=544

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
+ on the receiver to + on the speaker
- on the receiver to - on the speaker

Some crap wire doesn't have markings to aid in this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
i went to home depot and they have premium copper wire for 37 cent/foot or standard 1/2 copper 1/2 silver for 20 cents/foot. does having both strands made of copper make a big enough difference to go the extra money?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 533
50% silver? Are you sure?

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Probably aluminum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
"does having both strands made of copper make a big enough difference to go the extra money?"

For your purposes, probably not. What gauge of wire are you looking at?

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
14 gauge. the longest length ill have to run a wire will be 25 feet or less.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
Sounds good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us