Very Good Bookshelf Speaker

Username: Mrgooch

Nj

Post Number: 1
I am looking for a bookshelf that won't require a sub woofer.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 352
Going to need a little more information. Price range, what kind of music do you listen to, room size, and equipment to be used with the bookshelf speaker will be a good start.

Nj

Post Number: 2
I would like to spend $300 pair. All types of music. Just orderd Onkyo 2 channel 100 watts receiver. Speakers will go in cabnets room size 16x22

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Also, any particular reason you are against a subwoofer?

Nj

Post Number: 3
Space

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
I would look into the NHT SB2, which can be had for 300 a pair from jandr.com. They are a sealed acoustic suspension design and shouldn't suffer as much as a rear ported speaker from being in a cabinet. Their rated down to 51Hz at -3dB, although this will depend on your room + placement and can potentially go lower.

Another cheaper option would be the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six. Again, it is a sealed acoustic suspension speaker and can be had for 105 to 150 a pair. It is a solid value speaker, and given proper placement can give good output down to 40Hz. It does give up some detail relative to the NHT however.

Nj

Post Number: 4
J & R now selling them for $299 each

Nj

Post Number: 5
Do you concider $300 to be the low end of the scale?

Nj

Post Number: 6
I have been out of the loop since 1998 when I bought my Bose AM-5 Now retired and ready to get back in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1970492

Suggested price of the SB2 199 each. When you add to your cart it is 149 each. The SB3 is 299 each though.

300 is enough to get a pretty good pair of loudspeakers. Putting them in a cabinet may not be the best idea, but if you are space limited, so be it. Because of this, I would go with acoustic suspension or front ported speakers though.

Nj

Post Number: 7
I found a small sub woofer that would fit into the cabinetPolk PSW10, matched with Polk monitor 40. What's your opinion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with those items. Polk is a decent manufacturer though.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1895
George,

Polk and Infinity make decent speakers in their upper model lines but their subs are mediocre at best, and the Polk Monitor line is both mediocre and overpriced.

If $300 is your max then look at the Athena AS-B2.2s, audioadvisor.com has them for $250. Should give you plenty of bass unless you are a rap fan, without sacrificing too much of the mids and highs.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 400
Aren't the B2s rear ported?

I have the B1s and with about 3 inches of space behind them give surprising bass.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 401
But inside a cabinet - he might want to avoid Athena - the port won't be able to pump out the bass.

alcachofa
Unregistered guest
try Paradigm Monitors
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us