Speaker sensitivity and speaker "brightness"

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1883
Just a general question on speakers for y'all out there: would a 95db speaker tend to be brighter (the tweeter stands out more) than say a 90db one?

I was asking around on a couple of car audio forums about two Infinity car speakers that I am looking at to replace the stock speakers in my Camry, the more expensive one has about an extra 3-4 db of sensitivity. Since I do not plan on adding an external amp or buying an aftermarket head unit, I figured that the higher sensitivity one would make the most of the stock HU.

Good plan, until someone posted that the 95db model would just be brighter...first time I'd ever heard this.

Yet when I think about it, maybe it does make sense. I've never liked Klipsch horns with their +100db sensitivity, while Tim's Lings which can be wonderfully warm are very low sensitivity, around 85db. Ditto for the Polk LSi series.

Is there such a thing as a "warm" speaker with high sensitivity?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
Just FYI, the two Infinity models were the Reference 9612i and the Kappa 692.7i --- if anyone has any car audio experience I'd love to hear your thoughts. The car audio forum side has been kind of dead.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1412
I've never liked Klipsch horns with their +100db sensitivity

You've probably never heard the higher end ones. It might be fair to say that it's more likely that an inexpensive higher sensitivity speaker will sound brighter than an inexpensive low sensitivity speaker (because sensitivity can be traded for a smoother frequency response). I don't think this necessarily applies to more expensive products. I doubt you'd qualify Klipschorns as bright if you heard them properly setup.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 347
"Is there such a thing as a "warm" speaker with high sensitivity?"

Not that I'm particularly qualified to completely answer this, but I'll give it a shot.

Most any speaker with a fairly high sensitivity I can think of is horn loaded. Because of their narrow dispersion pattern, the sound is fairly intense in the sweet spot. In the case of a HT speaker, if one sits off axis a bit, that may help the problem.

In the case of car audio, one's ears are typically heavily off axis of the car's speakers. The car's acoustics should also help a bit (big padded seats, etc).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1886
hmm, DA that's an excellent point. I'm leaning heavily towards the 95db Kappas.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
Unfortunately my car audio knowledge is a bit limited but AFAIK the Infinity Kappa series is pretty good, although a bit pricey. Just stay away from Sony!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2364
Take this question to the 'kiddie' car audio forum.

LOL

Geez...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1887
Paul you dyslexic SOB, didn't you read where I wrote the car audio has been dead.

besides if it's a "kiddie" forum like you said, what are still doing here Paul? LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
Just get yourself a new Lexus with their Mark Levinson system or a Passat equipped with the premium Dynaudio system. That should be good enough.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5669

"Just a general question on speakers for y'all out there: would a 95db speaker tend to be brighter (the tweeter stands out more) than say a 90db one?"

As the question is written, the answer is no, there is no inherent difference in brightness between speakers (systems?) of different efficiencies.

If the question is will a 95 dB tweeter be brighter that a 90dB tweeter, the answer is still no.

If the 95dB tweeter is paired with a 90dB woofer, the answer is yes, unless the 95dB tweeter is padded down to mate with the lower efficiency woofer.

Is it true most ultra high effeiciency speaker systems have a less well controlled frequency response? In general, the answer would be yes.

Does that mean the more efficient speaker system will be brighter? Once again, as the question is written, the answer is no.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1889
thanks, Jan.

Would you consider 95db to be "ultra high efficiency?"

And would a 92db speaker put out noticeably less output at the same power as a 95db or would it sound about the same?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5672

No, 95dB is not, as a system, an ultra high effeciency speaker. Above 100dB @ 1 watt, I would say, begins the ultra high efficiency territory.

If you are speaking sbout a speaker system; woofer, Xo and tweeter minimum, the difference between the two speakers' efficiency specs can be eaten up by other factors. On a raw numbers basis only, the 3dB difference is more than noticeable in level change between the two speakers. It probably is equivalent to turning up your volume control two notches. Many volume controls are 1.5 dB steps. Some also vary the amount of change relative to the position of the volume control. A purely log scale VC will be the same step throughout its range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2366
Eddie,
You'll have to wait until the kiddies are let out of school, and then the car audio forum will pick up pace:-)

Posting over there during school hours is pretty stupid.....IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1069
Brightness and sensitivity are two different concepts. The former has to do with the sonic characteristics of the speaker (typically references high frequency reproduction) and the latter has to do with how efficiently a speaker uses power. I've known efficient speakers of various ilks: some bright, some not so bright. The same can be said of power hungry speakers. Just depends.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1894
glad to hear that Dale. Until recently I also didn't see any connection between those two terms.

Still, I have a question for the more experienced hands around here like Jan and Tawaun:

Are there any famously "warm" speakers that have very high (say, +93db) sensitivity?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5680

Since the average sensitivity of today's consumer loudspeakers is about 87-89dB @ 1watt, there aren't even that many well known speakers which approach the 93dB level. When they do, I would have to say, the companies which produce them tend to have a somewhat brighter sound.

If, however, you look into the market for speakers to be used with S.E.T. amplifiers, you will find many that sport high sensitivity specs and have a response which tends to the warmer side of sound. But, I can think of none of those speakers that are what most would call famously well known.

There have been very efficient speakers from the past which have not tended to the brightness of a Klipsch or JBL product. The Bozak Concert Grands, which are reviewed in the current Stereophile, were known to be a warmer sound than many of their competitors. Some of this warmth was due to the fact many speakers rolled off above 12kHz in order to reduce the amount of record surface noise. What to make of a speaker such as the Bozak? Well, the other companies used the same source material. I would say it was, as it is now, merely a preference of the designers.

One other thing to keep in mind would be the propensity of sealed box speaker systems over the last forty plus years. Many of the "famous" speaker lines such as AR, Advent, KEF, etc, built acoustic suspension speakers for their inherent bass qualities. There was a school of design known as the East Coast sound which dealt almost exclusively in AS designs. The BBC in England used mainly AS enclosures. Given the difference in how the rear wave of the woofer is used in an AS vs. a ported enclosure, you will always sacrifice 3dB with the AS designs. So, over the last few decades, many of the famous speaker lines have been inherently less efficient. Where as companies such as Klipsch and JBL have always been efficient and generally not described as "warm".

Gold Member

Post Number: 2374
Here's the readers digest version.........NO.

Warm speakers= Dull, 'quiet', and boring

Gold Member

Post Number: 1902
Jan, how much do you know about car audio?

I am intrigued by DA's suggestion that in a car, what might be "bright" in a home listening environment might be reduced due to the fact that your ears are off-axis and you have all these plush seats to absorb the sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
Keep in mind though that people are describing these speakers in a car audio application, Eddie. Of course if your speakers are in a different location in your car than the other reviewer/opinionated person, your results will vary greatly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Eg if someone has the speakers in their dash firing right at them and you have them in your door by your knees :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1908
Hmm, I have no idea what the other reviewer had, but yeah none of my Camry's speakers are directed straight at my head though the Kappas I think have a swivel tweeter that allows you to direct it towards you.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5688

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what the question is any longer. I thought we were just discussing the sensitivity spec vs. the "brightness" of a speaker.

As to car audio, I'm not the expert on that. I stayed away from the car audio racks as much as possible though several stores I sold in also sold car audio. There were way too many Paul's coming into the car audio section for my tastes.

Quite a few speakers designed for car applications will seem overly bright and muddy if you use them in a home environment. The top end is designed to compensate not only for placement but for the road noise that will be generated within the car. This is one reason you see systems designed by Bose, JBL, Mark Levinson, etc for specific luxury cars. They electronically EQ the system to compensate for the problems of a car's interior. Most cars have a suck out between 100 to 200Hz. If you don't compensate for that in the design of the driver, you'll have to compensate with the elctronics.

If this question does have to do with using a car speaker inside, you will probably have a very tight sweet spot for listening as the tweeters in car equipment are typically designed for power handling and not dispersion. The interior of most cars will bounce the signals around enough that dispersion is not a worry in a car system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1913
> There were way too many Paul's coming into the car audio section for my tastes.

LOL!

> The top end is designed to compensate not only for placement but for the road noise that will be generated within the car.

Good to hear that, and it makes sense. The Camry is a wonderfully quiet car inside, which was one of its main selling points, but I'm sure there's still some ambient road noise.

So the rough conclusion that I'm taking away from all this is that with a car speaker that would be considered quite bright at home might be just fine in a car because it's offset by road noise and the car's environmental factors...

In other words I should be ok going with a car speaker that has 95db instead of 92db sensitivity.

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
Go for it; whats the worst that could happen?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2383
Too many pauls??? I think car audio junkies are virtually all punk kids.

If they were "Pauls" as you suggest, they'd be somewhere else, and not in the Kiddie Car section. Not until the kiddies move out of the bedroom in their parents house and buy their own house will they 'graduate' to HT.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5701

"In other words I should be ok going with a car speaker that has 95db instead of 92db sensitivity."

If you are still asking the question like that, you have missed the intention of many of the answers on this thread.

Paul - You were beginning to do so well. Did you just run out of anything intelligent to say after just two posts?

ed v.
Unregistered guest
Ed, the advisor at Crutchfield told me to go for db's in the 90's. I have the Infinity Kappa 50.5 cs component speakers in my Toyota 4x4. I ran them with my stock Toyota Stereo and they sounded great. I paired them with 4in Boston Acoustics because I already owned them. Then I ran them with a Sony X-plod deck and they really came to life. I listen to the Eagles to Three Doors Down and everything in between sounds awesome. Great for acoustic music. No complaints. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1990
thanks for your input, I think component speakers are a whole other league though. I have some Polk component speakers in my truck and they do sound great, esp. with a PPI amp behind them.

BTW, were the Kappa 50.5s two or four ohms?

Anyways I wish you best of luck with the Sony X-plod deck though. I've read on several car audio forums of a lot of folks having reliability problems with them.

ed v.
Unregistered guest
My Sony X-plod deck is 3.5 yrs old and not one problem on my daily driver. And I like to crank it up too........good luck to you..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2054
thanks, the Kappas come in on Friday I think, I'll need all the luck I can get!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us