Kenwood VR-6070 THX/DPL2. Anyone has this unit? (Page 12)

Hello. I've just purchased a KRF-X9060D and I'm kinda comparing it with VR6070. Other than the difference in their "made-in-country" version, are there anymore difference? One of the things, I didn't get one of those LCD with a joystick remote that's suppose to come with it ... now I'm trying to find out if the features are different too. Anyone, please advise. Thanks!

ibre34
Thanks John K ! I changed my setup.

Rex C : I bought the KRF-X9060D version in Chile and I got the LCD remote. I don't think there are any diferences between versions. The user manual is the same.

Regards

Isaac

Mike Hawksbig
For overall bang for the buck kenwood presents a good value. However, if you have now, or plan to upgrade to speakers w/4 ohm impedance, Kenwood is a poor choice, even their sovereign line. They will go into protect and shut off after a short time. I picked the onkyo sr800 over the denon 3803 because I just liked the sound of the onkyo better, (sounded a tad cleaner and fuller to me). I have heard of several people having problems with the newer harmon kardon equipment. I have witnessed quite a few of these a/v receivers on the "discount" table at my local shop, usually there because of returns or being factory serviced. I would stick to the yamaha, denon, or onkyo, see which sounds best to you.

DashK
John K.,

Ok I think I get it now, the LFE jack makes the crossover obsolete, I guess they still include it for people who's amps may not have pre-outs.

Does the sub only receive signals from the LFE jack, or does it also send information back?

One last thing, what does Subwoofer Remix on/off do? The book isn't to clear. I know surround back remix makes use of the rear center when you're not playing 6.1, but I can't find what sub remix does.

Thanks

Neil
Devraj,

I'm glad I could help.

Since the Satilite can have HDTV i Highly recomend using the componet output on that to the reciever and just hooking up a cable line from the vcr. Then you can run a ouput from your TV to the reciever input (sound only). That way you can have you TV through your stereo too. The video quality of a vcr is not worth putting through componet cables.

Neil
Concerning Optic vs Digital Coax Cable:

There is no question about which cable is high quality: Optic.

The problem does not lie in the qiring but in the optic signal generator of the dvd player. If you buy a cheap dvd player this will be one of the main areas where quality is void. If the dvd player does not generate a proper light signal then the reciever can't decode it properly either and hence the correct format may not be obtained. If you choose to use optic cable i highly recommend using a upper to top of the line DVD player, otherwise the signal will not be proper and sound quality will suffer.

I already received the Kenwood VR-6070 before New Year's. However, I am still waiting to receive the various cables I ordered along with it. They kindly delayed shipping out the cables, so I haven't been able to set it up yet (the rainy New Year's Day would have been perfect for setting it up). There seem to be mixed feelings about the type of cables to use to hook up the various components so I am going to list the MANY devices that I plan to hook up to the 6070 for my home theater set up and would love to know what the best cables to use to hook up each device: single tuner picture-in-picture TV; 2 regular DISH network decoders connected to 2 high-fi VCRs; 1 "PVR" recordable DISH network decoder; one inexpensive DVD player; turntable CD player; dual cassette deck; powered subwoofer; 2 front speakers; center channel speaker; 2 rear surround sound speakers. Specific Questions: for the Dish decoders going to VCRs - are regular RCA cables okay between the DISH/VCR and VCR/6070 since the VCR may degrade the signal so as not to make the expense of better cables worthwhile? Should I use regular RCA along with an S-Video for the DISH/VCR and VCR/6070? Should I use better cables for the CD player and cassette deck or the same RCA cables I have been using for years? Should I connect the speakers directly to the subwoofer or to the 6070 with the subwoofer attached by itself to the 6070? What's the final word on using S-Video, digital coax or optical cables from the PVR DISH decoder to the 6070 and the DVD player to the 6070? Is the best way for hooking up the video portion to run all the video inputs into the 6070 and then a single video output from the 6070 to the TV? How does that work with picture-in-picture (I think you have to have the videos going directly into the TV for that, but does that mean you need to use 2 remotes to switch from one picture to another - one to change the PIP and one to change the sound output?)?

Tom Luther
I have the VR-6070 and love it, the sound is awesome. I've very new to all this A/V technology. My questions is what should I look for in a DVD player? I'm in the market to buy a new DVD player but don't quite understand the ins and outs. Do I need I high end DVD player to get great performance with my VR-6070? Doesn't the VR-6070 have all the decoding capabilities? Do I need progressive scan? I'm so confused? I'll spend the money if I need to but it seems like I'm duplicating some features the more expensive DVD players offer. Any suggestions? I guess I'd like to keep with the Kenwood line unless this too is a bad idea? Your comments please....

Jacob
I have BOSE AM16 with Onkyo SR700. I need to setup the crossover frequency. I have 3 options for it 80/100/120hz. Which one should choose and why? You comments please ...

Problem with video signal - scrolling line?

I love my VR-6070 receiver, except a little problem with the cable video signal. There are scrolling lines on my TV or projector screen, if there is any single connection (audio or video, RCA-video, S-video, or component video) between the receiver and the cable TV box (I use Comcast digital cable). I tried connect and disconnect all of the wires, still can't figure it out why ...

It is not from the cable ... if the TV is connected to the cable directly, the picture on TV is perfect.

It is not just the receiver ... it is perfect to play DVD or VCR, with receiver connection and cable box disconnected.

But whenever the receiver is connected to the cable box, the scrolling lines are on the TV screen, like a ghost. Either playing DVD, VCR, or cable channels.

Is it possible that VR-6070 has specific interfering with cable TV signals, or cable box?

Anybody experiences the same problem, or any suggestion on this? Thanks and appreciate your help!

Kel
Pros:
- THX Select Certification
- sound great w/ all DVD's, especially enhance.
- remote can control all AV units including my CD player.
- speaker distance enhancement

Cons:
- B-speaker connectors
- can't play both B-speaker & all A-speakers simutaneosly
- no music via surrounds speakers
- no illuminate keys on remote
- no video switching between video types. (ie S-Video vs RCA inputs)

At first I was not impressed with the sound as I had some humming in my speakers with were not there with my old receiver. This was minimal after some tweaking.
Configuring the Kenwood 6070 has taken some time, as I re-learn the "new" advances in home audio (since
my last receiver 1987). However, after speading a few hours playing with the options and reviewing the manual. I figured out most options.

I bought the digital coax and optical cables. I ran both digital (coax and optical) together from my DVD player to the 6070. I can use DVD/6Ch with the Coax or Video 3 with the optical. The 6070 with auto detect either one. I have not played yet with very many DVD such as "The Phantom Menace ". However, I plan to this weekend.

I connect my new Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers (not the NEW Series II) to the A-speakers to use in the 5.1 setup.
I could not setup my Cerwin Vega (15" woofers) speakers using the standard connector on the original monster cables to the B-spearkers. I had to go out and by new cables without connectors for this use.

The speaker setup now give me the best of both world as for sound. I select the B-speaker when listening to music and want a sound I'm familiar with. However, the Bose are great for watching movies.

I also found the video output confusing and the picture quality not that great. There no video switching between different video types. (ie S-Video vs RCA inputs). This sucks for cabling reasons. But undertandable for picture compatibilty reasons.

Price: $500.00 including Tax at Best Buy. ($499 sale price - $20 open box)

Anonymous
I have Kenwood VR6070, I can't tell the different between THX and DTS or Dolby Digital, I turned on THX during the movie to see how is it different, it seem like same thing to me, can someone explain to me the different or show me how the setting to get good sound from THX ... thanks

daniil
hi guys can't decide which one to buy vr-6060 or vr-6070 the only difference i can see is thx but as i read on one of the links its basically the same as dolby digital ex so any opinions

John H.
Hi everyone-

This is a great board & as a direct result of reading it, I just ordered a 6070 (for what I think was a good deal: $415 including shipping). But, now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun a bit...maybe someone can help put my mind at ease?

My alternative receiver was the Pioneer VSXD811S (highly rated on cnet) & would have it already had Best Buy had any in stock! The main advantage I saw in it over the 6070 was future expandability as it has 7.1 i/o for DVD-Audio, SACD, etc. (I also just got a JVC VX-FA900BK which plays DVD-A). Also, it is capable of using both rear center + sub instead of selectable like the 6070 (from what I understand).

So my questions are: 1- does the 6070 support DVD-A/SACD (I know it will play them but will it play them to their potential)? 2- can you in fact use both rear center + sub simultaneously, or is it one or the other?

FYI-the Pioneer was about $100 less than the Kenwood.

Thanks!

John K.
Dash, the LFE jack receives the low frequency signals(below 80hz)which the crossover in the 6070 has already separated from the higher frequencies. Therefore the crossover in the subwoofer isn't needed and the path from the LFE jack bypasses it and goes directly into the sub amplifier.

If the front speakers would be set"large"( generally not the best idea)the bass frequencies would generally be sent to them and no bass to the sub, even if it's "on". However, if the SW remix was set"on" in that situation, bass would be sent to both the fronts and the sub. Again, the best procedure is generally to set all speakers"small"(NML)so that the the sub gets all the low bass below 80hz, which it can handle best. Then, since the sub is automatically getting the bass, the SW remix isn't needed and can be left off.

Does anybody know how to control Shinsonic DVD player using 6070 remote?

Don Murphy:

I just checked the volume using headphones (...a Sony set my daughter had on her CD player). Listening was fairly comfortable at -14, quite loud at -8 and too loud at -4. Right now I'm listening to The Kinks live CD at what I consider a moderate level of -28. The music is loud enough to hear all of the detail and feel the bass; but I can still talk to someone in the same room. I can also hear it clearly in the room adjacent, and can still hear it from my bedroom at the far end of the house.

If all of your connections and settings are correct, then maybe some of the more technical guys out there can answer your question regarding your volume issue. Should all 6070's have roughly the same volume at the same setting, or would it be considered normal for me to listen to things on the "negative" side of the volume knob (usually -34 to -24) and Don to have to have to set his knob on the "positive" side (+13) for acceptable results?

Don Murphy,

Most people that have problems with the volume(loudness) with this unit need to check this. It mainly is in setup by going to your test tone and choosing manual instead of auto so you can scroll from left level to center level to right level and so on. Use this to set each channel level to your preferred level. 10+ is Max on all channels. Hope this helps.

MyStar, even if the manual does'nt have the codes the remote is a learning type which all ya have to do is point the 2 remotes together and it will learn the buttons from that Shinsonic DVD player and it will work. I've done that for every componant i own and have had no probs.

Hey bqwang.. i've noticed the same thing on my setup.. but only when i use either the PS2 or the xbox with using the s-video. I dont notice it all when i'm just watching tv though from the comcast digital box which goes threw the reciever via the RCA hookups. I dont notice it when i play DVD movies either..thank god.

Its just a 2 inch wide vertical line that scrolls from left to right real slow.. hardly noticable though.. only see it when i think about it but annoying non the less.

I'll have to look into it but i think i've read in the manual that they said that might happen when you use a calbe box hooked to the reciever.. Might just be some power cables crossing some video cable.. not sure.. I've been to busy playing my new xbxo to care about it and lazy to go back there and mess with it to find the sorce of the problem.

i'll report back if i find out what it is when i get the time to investagate.

Hi, great board.

Today is my birthday and my wife gave me a Kenwood VR6070 along with JBL SCS150 speakers (she has been reading this board) for a gift.

I have several quesions. I have no idea how to hook this whole system up. I never had a receiver or speakers before. I have read all the posting,but, I am confussed. Please help!!!!!!

This is what I have. VR6070 receiver, JBL SCS150 speakers, Toshiba SD5700 DVD player, Zenith VRA424 4head hi-fi VCR and a Sharp 27" stereo tv.

1. Are the speaker wires that came with the JBL's good enough or do I need to upgrade.
2. What other cables do I need.
3. What do I hook up to what.
4. Is there a web site that can help me with this.
Please Help me.

Well the manual that came with the reciever will help you some.. though i know its not reall clear at all.

First we need to know what connections in's and out's ya have on that 27" Sharp tv. Like RCA s-video and componant video which i doubt. Then we can go from there.

Oh and... nice WIFE YA GOT THERE! Lucky guy! hehe.

Oh yeah we will need to know the connections from your other stuff like the DVD player ect.

DashK
John K.

When you use Active EQ, it automatically puts Speaker EQ on as well, what does this do? If it's set to large do the speakers get bass (like in options). I just want to make sure the bass is going to my sub.

Also I saw some people mention the headphone jack, the volume is REALLY low on that thing, I have to turn it down to -15db just to get a nice sound, anything below -30 you can't even hear it seems.

Alex
FYI

If you're looking to purchase this unit you can get one for about $420.00 shipped from www.6ave.com

Nice thing about them is they are an authorized dealer so you will get the full 2 yeras manufacturers warrenty. I rather get it from a place like this then to dish out 500+ at best buy or circut city etc... that's if you're lucky enough to buy it on sale.

skippy denherder
yeah i looked the kenwood vr6070 over before i bought the onkyo sr600 ,then put the infinity entra point five w/sub with this .. whoa very nice, bang for the buck is great, thinking about a rane sse35 HT equalizer too.. with all three new pieces i have 1400 in them... heck the rane unit is 300 alone!!!

Anonymous
does the vr-6070 autodetect incoming analog and digital sources? example, some cable boxes are only digital above channel 100, below that they are analog. does the vr-6070 autodetect and select the appropriate input?

Help!

Recently I appear to have lost my left main speaker output for some reason. There is no output on my left speaker (A or B) though when I listen via headphones I do get output as expected.

I currently have a main left, center and main right speaker connected, as well as a B left and right speaker. I hear nothing except for a slight hiss in the left speakers in stereo or surround modes. I discovered that for some reason when I turn the volume up to +7db the left channel kicks in at full volume.

I tried using the 'Test Tone' option - I get a signal on my center and right speaker but again nothing on the left - strangely when the left speaker 'L' icon flashes the text displays 'SW 0db' rather than 'Left 0db' as expected and as indicated by the manual.

Any ideas anyone? The manual sucks.

This is a great thread. I am also trying to decide which receiver to buy. You guys answered some of my question but you also made me think of other questions. Could some one please explain the importance of this quote from an earlier thread.
1)"I will say I am NOT sorry I bought it, but I have a wide range of uses for it outside of just movies. I also should not complain when I knew the DAC was only 96Khz/24 bit, instead of 192Khz/24 bit or it could not encode MP3's properly"
2)I noticed the Onkyo 600 has a better DAC 192Khz
How much does this matter?
3)Why did some of you choose 6070 over the 600
beside THX?
4)I currently have a Pioneer VDX-606s I really like the way it sounds in stereo and DD. I want to upgrade to a DTS receiver and something that is rated a little better then what I have. The pioneer 811 is probably equal to what I have with more connections and DTS. So the choice is Kenwood or Onkyo? Help I am banging my head against the wall trying to make a decision. I would like to have on screen programming and the 600 sounds like its much easier to hook-up. But the Kenwood is THX.
Basically I am looking to read the one line in this thread which makes up my mine?

Thanks In Advance
Eddie

TO: DOM & ALL

Note; if anyone is experiencing problems with the VR-6070...you can reset the microprocessor back to factory setting by looking at your manual on page 48 for the proper procedures.

In my opinion the manual is OK, the same as the one downloadable from kenwood's website. This is just a personal opinion of mine, obviously any manual can use some improvements in clarity in a few areas.

DOM: Also make sure that the impedance rating on your speakers are not overdriving the amp sections of the receiver...and make sure all connections are OK as well. I hope that you didnot use speaker A+B simultaneously, because it is possible to blow the speaker or amp sections with combined low impedance factors from the speakers used.

RE: headphone listening...in the manual it states to use speaker A+B OFF mode when using headphones, referenced to page 26 of the manual.

thanks...Michael
P.S. great to see that the "admin" of ecoustics has divided the entire thread pages accordingly.

Thanks a lot eclypse, I am really new to this so could you please give more details about how to operate two remotes to learn the buttons from Shinsonic DVD player?

Thanks!

TO: EDDIE & ALL

Just my take on things...I looked at the ONKYO website and downloadable manual and noticed that the 600 model only has 192Khz/24bit on only the stereo-mode only, and actually uses 96KHz/24bit for five channel use...why not 192KHz/24bit for all channels? Since my brother has invested into using 5.1 speakers with the JBL SCS-150, the use of CSII on the VR-6070 is better than just using stereo-mode. Basically...if someone invested into 5.1 speakers then mind as well use'em all and thus the Kenwood VR-6070 is THX Select for better DVD viewing and also enjoy stereo music in CSII modes.
Both the Kenwood and Onkyo are great potential models, but Kenwood has THX select, radio-frequency remote, and CSII (circle-surround two)from SRS for stereo materials, and uses the best new microporcessor chipset from Analogue Devices which was just recently released in June, 2002.

http://www.analog.com/...resourceWebLawID%253D,00.html

http://www.srslabs.com/ConsumerTechMultichannel.asp

Thanks...Michael

Does any body use your TV speakers? If so how do you connect your TV to 6070 please?

Thanx!

Neil
MyStar:

If you want to use your TV speakers as your center channel then you just take the center preout from the 6070 to the input on your tv.

You will probably also need a y-adapter to connect the one center channel output from the 6070 to the L and R inputs on the TV.

Gary S.
The inevitable has happened. My trustee old Pioneer receiver has given up the ghost and gone to receiver heaven. I am currently shopping for a replacement. The 6070 and 6060 are on my list as is the Pioneer 811.

To help me out a bit here is what i have in my mix equipment and speaker-wise.

Pioneer 333 DVD player, Pioneer LD player, an Echostar Dish receiver, a JVC turntable, a Sony CD changer(200 cd type), a cassette tape deck, and a cheap stereo VCR.

My front L & R speakers are a pair of old workhorse Pioneer HPM 100s that i have had since the late 1970s. Center channel is an Eosome. The rear right and left are a pair of beat up old probably JBL's, hard to say since i bought them at the old Highland Appliance chain's liquidation sale and the insignia are gone....
I am shopping for a subwoofer as well, although given the bass output of the HPM100's that may be over kill. I'd rather not sink money into new speakers if i can avoid it.

For what its worth i have a Zenith 27" Tv (S video is its best connection) that will be going out the door soon too, the picture tube is starting to have intermitent problems.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
gary

krabby5
Can anyone help explain how I would hook up the back surround speakers with the 6070?

There is one speaker input for the back surrounds, but the manual shows two speakers in the back? Wouldn't this be considered 7.1, not 6.1?

I imagine this has something to do with the 6th channel output for another amp or receiver?

I have a JVC receiver that I could use to power the back 2 speakers....but I don't understand how...plus what kind of speaker(s) do you use for back surround?...a center or a pair of regular speakers.

Thanks,

Confused

Justin M
Has anyone had success getting all audio types through the optic cable. Some of the past responses said they have gotten some but not all and had to use coax cables together also. If both cables are connected which is getting the audio signal sent through it. Thanks.

Neil - thanks a lot for the input, actually I tried to use front preout from the 6070 to the input on my TV but couldn't get any sound from TV. Do I need an AMP or another receiver between 6070 and TV?

Justin M - I am only using optical cables for both of my DVD player and Satellite Receiver and can get all audio types without any problems - my setting is 7.1 which is John Briggs's idea - thanks John!

Hope this helps!

Krabby5,

Regarding 7.1 setting pls check John Briggs's post on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 09:09 pm, you will get all what you wanted.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Mike,
You really helped. After thinking about it I realized that 70% of the time it will be use for a HT. Also, for all you people in NY I printed out the 6070 AD on 6ave.com for $397.97 and brought it to Best Buy and believe it or not they match the price + they have 18 months no interest finacing on Home audio for purchases over $299.
I am very happy and so is my wife.
I am sure I will be posting alot more questions when I start to set it up.
Acutally I have a questions Its the same question above from "Krabby5" above regarding the
back surrond speakers.

Thanks Again

danil
hi guys need your help wanna buy center & rear speakers for my kenwood vr6060 but my budget is tight so i need to choose between JBL N centerI + JBL N24II VS Polk Audio csi30 + Polk Audio r20
i can get them for $425 CND TAX included if anybody try them or have them please share with me your expirience ,or anything else in the same price range.thanks

Neil
MyStar

The setup i mentioned above is if you want to use your tv for a center channel speaker and have the other speaker. I only recommend doing this if you you have very good speakers in your tv or lack of room on top of tv.

Your TV should have an internal amp between the 6070 and the speakers in the tv. Did you have the correct input selected on your TV?

Yes Neil, my TV (SONY 32 HD) has nice speakers that's why I want to us them and also I have other speakers for my 7.1 setting.

Anyway, when I connect from source to my TV directly with RCA cables I can get sound from TV but not preout from the 6070..
And I believe that I did have the correct input selected on the TV.

Thanks!

danil,

I have polk csi30 as my center speaker. I am very happy with it. I can not tell you how it compares with the JBL b'cos I never listened to it. But i think you should listen to both the speakers before buying them.

RE: Help

Thanks to Michael on this matter, resetting the microprocessor fixed my problem 8-) and the weird behavior during 'Test Tone' is now back to normal with the left channel being displayed.

I am guessing the Microprocessor settings got corrupted after a power outage.

>Note; if anyone is experiencing problems with
>the VR-6070...you can reset the microprocessor
>back to factory setting by looking at your
>manual on page 48 for the proper procedures.

Interestingly FRYs are now offering the 6070 for 499 retail.

daniil
to dinnu

thanks for a tip,problem they at diffrent stores and i'cant compare directly.i want to ask you if csi-30 is ok to put on top of tv,because i read some reviews on JBL and some people said it's leaking magnetic field,plus JBL is plastic.thanks

Mike Z
I have recently purchased and set up a VR 6070. One thing that i noticed is that when listening to music in stereo mode, you have to turn the volume way up ( -20dB to -15 dB) to get decent output. Now my two front speakers are old 12" pioneers. The room is probably medium in size. Is this normal? It just seems that these speakers were much louder with my old stereo pioneer receiver and i thought that would at least get the same level of volume if not more from the 6070. Could there be a problem with the receiver or even the speakers?

TO: Mike Z

Most important question I have is: Are you only having stereo speakers hooked-up only or do you have 5.1 speaker set-up with the VR-6070?

Make sure that speaker set-up is configured properly especially when running the receiver in stereo modes, and check your impedance & sensitivity of your older Pioneer speaker. (Your speakers may be low on sensivity levels / output capabilities).

Note: the maximum volume level possible with the VR-6070 is +13db on the display. My brother has the VR-6070 with JBL SCS-150 5.1 speakers and average listening levels of DVD's at -30db, CableTV at -20db maximum, and listen to CD's with CSII mode at -30db. (obviously we change the volume levels higher slightly as required based on various source materials output levels).

I am sure that -20db to -10db with stereo speakers only is fine and well below the actual limits of the VR-6070.

Also, please check your input level adjustment for CD player with analogue RCA connections for example (analogue sources only) on page 25 of the manual and make sure that the level is 0db by default.

thanks...Michael

I am thinking to replace my DVD player with RJ Technology RJ3600 Progressive Scan DVD Player.
Is anybody here using this one?
Any advices please?

Thanks!

Question about Kenwood VR-6070...
Is it possible to connect the VR-6070 to 240Volts?
Is there some kind of switch you can use to change the voltage?
The reciever seems to be less expensive in the US...
/Daniel

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us