Good idea for Burn in?

Fire1
Unregistered guest
Shortly I plan on picking up some Paradigm Studio 40's to pair with my Outlaw. Ive heard that to burn in your speakers, just leave them on with a blanket over them to dampen the sound and just leave them on all day. Now thats all fine and good but my question is. Ive also read that if your trying to burn in your speakers to not use a pre-amp. They say it will start a fire. So that worries me about leaving it on. I dont want to leave, then come home one day and have my silver components turn charcoal. So my idea is, to use my old Sony receiver and just use that to play them all day untill they are properly broken in. That way i wont run the risk of fire.

Good idea or not?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5652

That's fine as long as you're certain the old Sony won't burst into flames.

Fire1
Unregistered guest
Yeah im sure itll be ok. thanx Jan ill give that a shot

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 511
Fire1 -
Where are you getting your information from? Does the blanket serve any purpose other than keeping unwanted noise down when no one is listening, or is there supposedly some scientific reason for it?

Also, how are you going to play music without a pre-amp? Unless your amp has volume control on it - which I haven't seen on an Outlaw amp - you're not going to get any sound out of the amp.

If the pre-amp is a fire hazard, why aren't their more reoprts of people's houses burning down while listening to music or at least if they fall asleep while listening to music? Unless you have a tube pre-amp that throws out a lot of heat near some curtains or similar stuff, this shouldn't be a concern. If your particular pre-amp is a fire hazard due to it being defective or damaged, why is it still in your house?

Your Sony receiver has a pre-amp built into it, as do all receivers and integrated amps. If pre-amps are a fire hazard, why wouldn't a receiver or integrated amp be a fire hazard also?

I'm not trying to belittle you here, I just think there's way too much voodoo science and misinformation goind around in audio these days.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3974
ROTFLMAO!

'nuff said!

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 883
You can use any kind of amplifier to run in speakers. You're just running them all day long which should not cause a problem provided there's nothing wrong with the amp. Whether it's a pre/power or an integrated makes no difference.

As to running in, one way of doing this is to wire one of the speakers out of phase (black to red and red to black at the terminals). Make the speakers face each other very very close (like only an inch between their baffles). Play a mono signal through the system on repeat. You'll note that the self cancellation of the two speakers makes it much quieter than you'd expect, allowing you to run them at what would normally be room-filling level quite happily. Throw a blanket or two over the top and it will be quiet enough that it really won't disturb anyone. Do this for a weekend or two and your speakers will be well on the way to run in.

Don't forget to wire the out-of-phase speaker back the right way afterwards!

Rgards,
Frank.

Fire1
Unregistered guest
Stu,

Ive read it that a pre-amp could overheat and be a potential fire hazzard on this board. Ive also read it in a magazine. The blanket serves no purpose scientificly as i know of. Ive just heard it dapems the sound so its not blareing over the household.

As far as a pre-amp is in all receivers etc yeah i know. All I know is, is that i read that Stand alone pre-amps do. The information i read well i guess was wrong.. Which is why i came on this thread to get info. SO now i know it will not cause a fire because it is not defective. So ill just use my Outlaw rather then the sony.

Frank,

Thank you ill give that a shot tonight.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 516
Fire1 -
Like I said earilier, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I'm guessing that what you were reading about pre-amps were tube pre-amps. Tube equipment can get very hot, thus potentially being a fire hazard. In my experience, pre-amps run a lot cooler than power amps do.

Fire1
Unregistered guest
Stu,

Yes i know what you were saying. Yeah now that i think of it maybe it was Tube pre-amps. All i could remember was the pre-amp part. So i should be ok then. Awesome stuff, thanx for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us