HK 7200 reciever for movie and 2 channel amp for music?

Username: Lkng

Post Number: 1
I don't watch movie that much and don't want to spend $3000+ for a multi channel pre/pro & amp.

Can I pair the HK 7200 for movie with a stereo amp for music? Has anyone done this before? I figure the HK 7200 is about 900$ plus a good 2 channel amp is about 600$ is still less than the cheapest pre/pro + amp combo.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 76
Luke,

The HK is a nice sounding unit on it's own. Are you considering an amp just for more power? What speakers are you using?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 454
Luke:

I would agree with Rick, here. I think if you got the right speakers, you would find that the HK sounds wonderful for two channel listening; thus, a two channel amp is superflous. What speakers do you have or do you intend to get?

Bronze Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 77
Luke,

Yes, depending on your current speakers, it may make more sense to upgrade there, than to spend the $$$$$ on an amp.

Hawk,

Nice to have you back! Hope all is well. I have a question for you, but will post under SPEAKERS.

Post Number: 2
I am set on a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 (and possibly the center, cc370). Will buy a pair of titan and a sub later.

I want to make sure I have enough power for the two channel as I do use them a lot (music and karaoke), but I also want some decent surround sound.

Thanks for all your input

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 461
Luke:

Have you already purchased the H/K, or are you just thinking about it? I think there are better receivers that would compliment the sound of the Paradigms better(very nice speakers, BTW) than the H/K, but if you have already heard the combo and like it, you would be hard pressed to do any better, quality wise. I just find the H/K too laid back for the Paradigms (and vice versa) for my tastes.

Bronze Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 71
but too answer your original question the answer
is yes you can do it with no problem many people
including myself do.

it is a way of upgrading your 2 channel listening
without breaking the bank.

for a couple of amps both parasound and B&k make
some nice fairly cost effective amps.

like the other posters had said i'm sure that
the hk reciever has a very good sound to it from
the start for 2 channel listening but you should
get a nice improvement from a quality 2 channel
amp.also that may get you started down the path
of seperates later on down the road.

Post Number: 3
Which reciever do you guys recommend for these speakers? in the (600-1000$ range) Yamaha, Marantz, NAD?

Bronze Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 92
Luke,

I would give the nod to the NAD with the Paradigm's.

However why not go out and listen to Monitor Audio or Dynaudio with your HK? May open some new doors for you. I think you will like what you hear.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 327
Rick is right on the money. For the 7200 MA or Dynaudio would be perfect.With Paradigm's sonically the best choice is NAD with the new Yamaha 1400 and 2400 being decent fallback choices. They are much improved over past Yamaha's and I am glad to see that.[and have heard it] The 2400 is a very nice unit and a good example of THX specs improving a receiver,especially in the bass management area.
If you are starting from scratch I would go with the 7200 and the MA/Dynaudio first but all are worth a long listen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us