More power on NAD C320BEE

CASA7
Unregistered guest
Hi there

I've got a NAD 320 BEE amp hooked on KEF Q60 speakers. I love the sound but a Little more power would be welcome.

Is it possible to connect a NAD power amp to my 320?

Which would be the best Nad power amp to do it?

Or is it better to replace my 320 for a NAD C370 integrated amp?

Could my 320 with a power amp sound as good as a NAD C370 integrated amp?

Hope anyone can help me

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3893
Yes, it is possible to connect it to a power amp.

The best power amp to do it really depends on how much you want and how much money you are willing to spend. The best is really in your own terms and subject to various interpretations. Personally I like the 272, b ut others will have a different view.

If it is better to replace it with a 370 is again up to you. Get it if you like it, otherwise no.

And on the subject of sound...again that is a matter of personal opinion, much like rap and country western, if you like, it does not matter. You will be the one listening to them.

I know this is no help but you are talking about a subject that has varied answers as much as there are varied tastes and preferences.

If you want more power, just get a power amp that will fit the bill. If you want answers on the other questions, you will get differing answers, some will say yes and some will say no. Now how are you going to sort that out? You will still have to listen for yourself, wouldn't you?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5556

"A little more power" doesn't do anything.

What people are ususally meaning when they say "a little more power " is they want a lot more volume. A lot more volume is expensive when you buy it in the form of a power amplifier. You will have to buy about ten times what your NAD can output on peaks, which is already fairly substantial, to get what amounts to enough volume change that most people are satisfied with the change. That gets you into the range of too much power for your speakers to safely handle if volume is your desire. Go to your dealer where you bought the system and tell them what you think of the sound. They should have some answers after determining exactly what you want. I guarantee you, "a little more power" probably is not it.

CASA7
Unregistered guest
Your right Jan
when i say a little more power i mean more control and fuller bass.
I mean playing with the volume knob at 9 o'clock and having more amplitude in the sound

I listen to a lot of funk, soul,downtempo and dub, and some tracks need a lot of dinamics from the system

maybe a better pair of speakers would do the workx

Or maybe conecting a subwoofer.

Do you guys know a good sub for under $300USD?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5564

Not me. That's about what I would spend on a sub; but I don't know of a good one. I think in this case you need to read Berny's advice again. No matter what you are told is good, you still have to decide for yourself.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5565

Just to point it out. Maybe you can get what you already own do what you want by working with placement, tweaks and room treatment. Just buying more equipment isn't always the right approach.

joe student
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a NAD 320 BEE recently when my 2200PE bit the dust (I'm having it repaired eventually). I was really disappointed at first with the 320, and at first I assumed it was because I went from serious power (the 2200 puts out a monstrous 6dB of headroom, and can push 400 watts dynamic power into 8 ohms) to an amp rated at 50 watts. Out of curiosity, I pulled the silly plugs that link the preamp with the amp of the 320, and connected them with decent Tara Prism interconnects. All of a sudden the 320 sounded about as good as the 2200. Surprised the heck out of me, since I generally don't believe all the cable/wire/interconnect voodoo. Turns out I was wrong. The 320 BEE with decent cables is incredible. I bet yours would sound better even if you replaced the jumpers with cheap interconnects.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3904
Try the Hsu STF-1. Or a velodyne in that price range. Again listen to it first and see if this is what you want. You have 30 days to decide on the Hsu and the Velodyne, you can check that at your local circuit city or other big electronics store. Do not, however, make a decision based on listening outside of your home as other factors come into play. Get it and return it if you don't get the results you are looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 285
I experimented with the 'jumpers' between pre & power on my integrated several months ago and found that the tin plated copper ones that come with the amp are actually better. They're purpose built for the job, ok they aren't cosmetically impressive but a longer cable just colours the sound more. Under the shiny packaging of your aftermarket cable it's just some boring old wire! Regarding the C370, it will sound completely different to your C320BEE. If you add a C272 power amp and use the pre amp in your BEE, you will get a similar yet fuller and more dynamic sound. Considering that the C372 integrated costs around the same as the power amp, why not just buy that and sell the BEE - that would at least recoup some of the cost.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us