DIY Computer Speakers

Username: 3k_fx

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 3
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/159306.html

OK. I have run into a first problem when trying to design these little speakers. I want these to be small and cheap (replacing a pair that are 8 years old and do nothing but buzz). So, to keep it simple as a first project, and to also keep price cheep, I plan on going with full range speakers for the two satelites, and then a sub box where the amp/crossover/power supply will be housed (classic 2.1 system). However (I have the BassBox speakerbox design program that I am designing the speakers in), when I graph out what will happen, the cone excursion limit is hit at only 600 hz or so. The speakers say they should work in a box 1.6 liters. I have that, and I have also tried ported boxes, which doesn't make any difference in bringing the frequency range down before hitting their X-max.

Does anybody know of anyway to bring the X-max limit down so the speakers don't reach it? If there isn't, can I run the speakers even if they are hitting their X-max? I know it's not good for subs and the like, but it almost seems as if these speakers can't NOT hit their X-max. Rated down to 100 hz but only an x-max of .4mm?

PS. I'm looking at speakers like these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-814 I'm not set on any certain speaker yet, just testing the waters to see what is available and what will work best. (but I want to stay with 3 or 4" full range speakers, around 15-20 watt RMS).

Any help?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 509
If you would like to use TB drivers from PE I suggest the W3-881S over the 594 for starters.
Secondly, having worked with several of the TB drivers I can't imagine hitting Xmax unless you're driving them very hard. Using them as PC speakers in the near field I doubt you'll play them loud enough to do that. Check the power input number you're using.
A small ported box about 6" x 5" x 4.75" (internally) with a 1" diameter port should work fine as a satellite speaker. You don't even need a port tube as it can be .75" long but it does clean up the look.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 510
I missed reading the first link. My suggestion for amps would be a standard plate amp, PE has several, and for the satellites do a search for the Sonic Impact T-amp. You don't need hundreds of watts for a little pair of satellites sitting 2 feet from your ears. Then all you do is feed the line out to the T-amp, then the outputs to the high level inputs on the plate amp then the high level outs to your satellites. Should work great for a PC system.

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Timn8ter

Ya, I wasn't set on any specific driver as of yet, but after reading reviews the w3-881 was looking good to me. Nice to have somebody else's input.

Looked up the Sonic Impact T-amp. I don't think there could be anything better. I was starting to think I'd have to build my own amp, but then volume control would be a problem. This looks like it will work perfectly. Thanks a ton!

However, does anybody have more detailed specs of the W3-881SD? More so than is either available at PartsExpress or the TB site? I'd like to have as accurate of specs as possible so I can calculate the speakers resonse ranges correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 512
I'm glad you asked that question.
It's just become known to me that the W3-881S is no longer available and has been replaced by the W3-881SD. From what I'm told the SD model doesn't have the same HF response that the S model did. With that in mind I suggest you consider the W3-871S. This model has been a consistent performer for years. I've used it in many, many projects. The only place in North America to get them is from Acoustic Technologies.
http://www.acoustic-technologies.ca/products.html#3
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-871s.htm
John Krutke spent a great deal of time performing a comparison of 3" drivers and has posted the results on his website. Mighty generous of him if you ask me. This will give you even more to consider however.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/minitest/ts.html

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 513
Oops. That's the link to the T/S parameters. Here's the start page.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/minitest/

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 337
I would agree that Aurasound makes some decent 1" full range drivers that range from 220-25Khz. They may suit your needs.

I have heard them, and they sound pretty good. They have smooooooooth mids, and you may not even want to use a tweeter, just stack em in sets of four, and wire them in series-paralell.

GL

www.aurasound.com

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 6
The Aurasound speaker does look appealing, however I think I'll go with the W3-871S like Timn8ter suggested. The biggest reason being, I need a speaker that will comfortably reach down to 180 hz, the highest crossover point on most sub plate amplifiers.

Next, I'm wondering about the sub box.

I don't want to end up spending an incredible amount of money for it (at the moment, I'm building it to replace my mom's blown out computer speakers. If it gets to expensive I don't think the plan will fly too well). How much power is required to drive a 6-8" woofer? I know speaker efficiency and such matter, but even getting a 100 watt plate amp just seems a bit too spendy to try and get the parents to spring the cash. Does anybody have any good suggestions on a plate amp and sub that could give good quality sound from 180 hz down to somewhere around 40 hz?

Of course the sound doesn't have to be rock concert loud; it just needs to be enough to fill a room approx. 20ft wide, 25 ft. long, and 7 ft high with at normal listening volume. Nothing overpowered.

Any more help for the beginner?

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 7
Oh, I forgot to add that right now, the biggest sub box that I think my mom will allow is probably around 38 liters (1.34 cu ft). The box I'm thinking of building at the moment is 16" tall, 10" wide, 21" long. I can proabbly get it larger by a small amount if need be, but this is around the biggest I'd like, so the driver needs to work in a reletively small space.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 516
I use the Aurasound NS3 as a computer speaker without a sub. There is no doubt it has a sweet mid-range. It reaches to about 70Hz which is ok for me when I'm just listening to background music while I'm working. I didn't suggest it because Logan said he would be using a sub and I thought the HF extension of the TB W3 would be appreciated more in that type of setup.
Logan,
If you're going with the TB W3-871S you may as well go ahead and use the W8-740C for the sub.
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8-740c.htm
Put it in a box ~1100 cu. in. internally measured, perhaps 8" x 10" x 13.75" for example.
Use a 2" Precision Port tube (available from Parts Express) 8" long (overall length).
As for a plate amp, PE has a 70W plate amp on sale for $50 that should work fine. I'm assuming we're talking about the sub being very close to where you're sitting at your PC. Whatever plate amp you choose be sure to add on the space it occupies to the dimensions I provided above. If you don't you're going to get a nasty peak around 50Hz. For example; if the plate amp has a sealed back that is 2.5" x 7" x 6" that will occupy 105"^3 making your dimensions 8" x 10" x 15"(internally).
You could use an external amp if that works better for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us