Question for Frank

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Frank,
Even though we vehemetly disagree about MA speakers I would like your opinion on the Dynaudio Audience series. I spent quite some time at a dealer in May 2004 listening to a pair of Audience 42's. They were being driven by about $15,000 worth of BAT[Balanced Audio Tech] equipment which of course is overkill for a pair of $800 speakers. Just the same it was a thrilling experience to hear such small speakers completely fill a 24x20 room with such ease and the imaging was astounding. I am sure alot of that was the BAT equipment but I really liked the Dynaudio's. I was considering a sysytem of the Audience 52 for mains, the 42c center and the 42 for rears. Just wondered what your take on these is and the general impression/popularity of Dynaudio in the UK.[where all my ancestors are from BTW]

Anoni
Unregistered guest
anonymousll,
I know exactly who you are, I am not going to reveal your identity, I just want to thank you for the advice you provided a while back. I am still happy with the set up I put together based on your suggestions.

Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 852
Hello anonymousII,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get here..

I'm in a bit of a quandary here. I may not like MA speakers but you do. I'm sure that if a pair of $800 MAs were placed at the end of the same BAT system, they'd sound better than you'd ever heard them sound too.

On Saturdays I 'work' in a HiFi shop which sells Dynaudio so I know the range. In the nineties, Dynaudio had a lovely man distributing their stuff in the UK and he built their reputation and presence such that they have a very good reputation nowadays and are quite well known.

I think the Audience 42s are great fun. They have a bigger sound than you'd credit and more resolution than you'd expect. The 52s have a lot more presence, resolution and scale than the 42s.

I am not overly impressed with the 42 centre speaker. The larger 122 is a far far superior centre speaker with bags more resolution and much better contrast so voices come alive with it. If you can afford it and can house it (it's quite big), it is a far better option than the 42C. If you can't, then the 42C is your only option.

Now Dynaudio has just launched the new FOCUS range which sits between Audience and Contour. In fact the Focus range looks like an updated set of old Contour speakers up to the 1.8s. The entry level speaker is the Focus 110. This is more money than the 52, but if you can stretch to it, it is well worth the extra. It's a very small speaker about the size of the 52, but narrower, great fun and swings beautifully. We tried 3 stands with it and the lightest (the Partington Trophy which was also the cheapest) was the best compromise.

As usual Dynaudios are beautifully made, have excellent power handling and aren't too difficult to drive due to their relatively linear impedance.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 855
By the way, why did you ask this question of me when you said in the other thread that you wouldn't listen to anything I said and that i was a total idiot?

Feeling somewhat confused...

Ah that's it! :-)

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Frank,
Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. I will contact my local dealer and see what he has. I was not sure where the Focus line fit into their lineup. Again, thanks.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
T.R.E.F.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Just trying to bury the hatchet and get some info from someone else's point of view who I thought might be familiar with Dynaudio and also to get the European prespective. What is the general impression you have found of Dynaudio in your experience and how popular are they in Europe? Sorry for the name calling and we can just agree to disagree about the MA's.
Anoni,
Don't jump to conclusions. You might be surprised.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
:-)....no surprises...besides, I just said that I wanted to thank you! for real....you have always been one of the good guys in this forum...anyway...I'll just leave you alone.

Good luck

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 858
Well I've been selling Dynaudio for 9 years or so, so I really do know them well. They've always been well made but now they're better than ever. They're very well known in Europe, better than the UK. 42s are used an awful lot in pro studios in Europe. In the UK they have a really good chap working for them. Lovely guy. As a company, they're now run out of Germany but the design is still out of Denmark.

They got it really badly wrong with the latest Contour range which just can't sell, at least here in the UK. Beautifully made and finished, but a stretch too far in terms of looks and the sound could be better controlled in the bass (yes the whole range).

The Focus range is a step back towards their most successful set of products ever, the Contour 1.1, 1.3 and 1.8, which we used to sell regularly. They turned up a couple of weeks ago and were good out of the box. We've been running them in and they're opening up and really giving the competition something to think about. Very balanced sound, lots of fun. Looking forward to people listening to them.

Sorry that you got upset about my comments on MA. It is my view and I should have made that clearer.

regards,
Frank.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
Frank,
Thanks for the follow up. I appreciate your responses, especially considering or little dust up. I have a couple weeks vacation in mid October and will then have the time to fully explore the Dynaudio's. Until then I'll have to suffer with my MA's.[just kidding]. I look forward to reading more of your posts on this forum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us