Help! Surround sound coming from front speakers

Username: Larson619

Roseville, CA USA

Post Number: 4
This one is weird, please help! I just got an Onkyo DTR 7.2 Receiver for my 5.1 HT set up. I just got done programming everything for the last 45 mins and the speakers sound great in all playback (stereo, unplugged, all channel stereo, mono, etc). EXCEPT in Theater-Dimensional and Dobly Digital all of the surround sound effects are playing through my front 2 speakers and center channel.

I know it is a programming error on my part, but that receiver is conplex. Please Help.

Thanks,
Erik

Anonymous

First: How do you know that it's "surround sound" coming from the front speakers? I would check the following:
1. Are your surround speakers connected to the surround (NOT surround-back or any other) terminals?
2. Have you level balanced the 5.1 speaker channels, using a SPL meter or auto calibration?
3. If your system has a 5/6/7-channel stereo surround mode, when you use this are the surround channels working?
4. In your receiver setup, do you have the surround channel On/Yes and surround-back (for 7.1) Off/None?

Roseville, CA USA

Post Number: 5
I will check those settings to be sure. Thanks!

I know only because I have a kool dvd with THX speaker set up on it and learned that all of the sound was coming from the front 3 speakers, even the surround effects. I could not figure it out.

Erik

Roseville, CA USA

Post Number: 6
I checked it all, re-wired, re-programmed and still nothing. I just emailed Onkyo customer support.

Thanks for your input, I am pretty sure I have a set up error.

Erik

Anonymous

Have you checked your DVD setup:
1. How do you connect the DVD player to the AVR?
2. If the DVD is connected digitally, is it configured to send a bitstream or raw digital signal over the digital connection?
3. Is it possible that a DSP mode is been used on the AVR that is restricting the playback to front only speaker channels?
4. Did you try the multi-channel stereo test as I indicated previously?
5. If your AVR has built-in test tones, do they play back in all the connected/configured speaker channels?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 647
Make sure you set the surround channels to Large or Small, not None.

Roseville, CA USA

Post Number: 7
#3 is possible, going to check.

I connect audio with fiber optic cable and video with Comp Vid.

No I have not tried the multi-channel test.

Kano - "small"

Thanks,
Erik
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us