Reciever - Pre/Pro?

Username: Netsurfer

Post Number: 1
1st visit so forgive all the broken rules as they occur.

I'm retired on half of what I was broke on before, and have a 5.1 Parasound Separates System that still sounds too good to make me move on to anything else for music, but I would like to have at least 2 or three component video inputs and more (at least 3) optical digital inputs and one optical digital output with all 6.1 preamp outs for HT. I listen to music 99.9% of the time now but have recently purchased a Panasonic TH42TX25 plasma, upgraded the old DBS to HDTV and I'm probably going to be doing more HT. (Maybe 10 to 20% of the time in the future).

What receiver or Pre/Pro would be clean enough in the preamp section to handle the preamp/processing task and not cost an arm and a leg? I've checked and a used Halo Pre/Processor by Parasound runs around $1500 to $2500.00 at best. I would like to stay under $500 better yet under $350 street price for a good used or refurbed receiver unit.

Is there a new or used/refurbed receiver out there that would meet my needs and not sound like I've hooked my power amp to a tin horn when I listen to music?

Thanks for all thoughts on this,

NS~~~

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3757
Are you saying that you want at least 3 component video inputs that you can view on one monitor?

Why not just get a video switch?

You don't need to add any more components to your existing system.

Post Number: 2
Yes, plus 3 (better yet 4 or 5) DO audio inputs more DSP choices and automatic control of setup changes when each input is addressed i.e. MD,CD,DVD,HDTV,DBS,Tape, and VCR. I can handle this but my wife gets frustrated with readjusting manually when for example changing from Sat to TV or DVD.

I have seen a decent review of the Yamaha RXV657 that was done by audioholics. It sounds like, no pun intended, this might handle this chore as an adaquate controller. Its only 95 watts x 7. but my parasound amp would give me 250 RMS watts x 5 and I still have a pre Sony/Superscope Marantz 16B that I could use to drive the other 2 "presence channels" with 105 extremely clean RMS watts x2. I'm also trying to find out if it would be practical to use two or more of the 657's channels simultaneously for some less demanding task. If nothing else maybe I could use its remote channels for outdoor speakers.

Its cheap <$400 on the net including freight. Does it sound cheap? Audioholics doesn't seem to think so, but I've been out of the loop so long they are new to me and I don't know how accurate or respected their reviews are.

Again, any hands on listening experience in a like setup with any pre/pro or receiver is appreciated. Any suggested solution for that matter is appreciated....

NS~~~

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5426

Is $400 cheap? I don't think so. Last time I dropped $400 I stooped to pick it back up. Is $400 cheap in comparison to what you have invested in your Parasound equipment? Certainly you know the answer to that question without anyone else's input. Is a magazine likely to give a $400 receiver a good review? Yes. Is that $400 receiver worthy of a good review? In comparison to other $400 receivers, possibly so. In relation to your Parasound equipment? "?"

Of course, the answer that is likely to come from that question is try it and find out for yourself. You can always return it. I'll let you decide the validity of that answer.

Please keep in mind that many of today's receivers will be packed with features and switches that must be negotiated by your wife when she wants to use the system. Switch on the Yamaha, then switch on the Parasound, then the Marantz, then ... You can also decide, based on your personal experience, how much personal hassle that might entail.

Finally, it may not occur and hopefully won't, but might I just mention two words that spring to mind when I hear of a system connected through various "engineered" connections.

Ground loops.

Post Number: 4
Jan

Thanks for your frank, no crap input, now that is what I'm looking for.

I'd surely stop and pick up $400 if I had ever dropped $400 as you say you have. Unfortunately in this day and time I don't carry as much cash as you obviously do, but $400 is cheap for that much technology, if it will be an adequate, clean alternative to a 3-5K Parasound HALO Controller!

Your right, maybe the better way to answer the queston isn't to ask for the wise counsel here. I'm off to get me one... let you know later how it sounds to my 59 year old ears when I get it set up. (I mean "engineered"). The YPAO will hopefully take some of the sting out of that process.

As to the turning on a, b, c, d etc. One Macro in my remote will solve that.

Assuming my home wiring to the equipment is correct (and it is) a ground loop is a factor to consider, although this is somewhat of a streeeeeeatch. An old attending physician told me on rounds 30 years ago that when you hear hoof beats son, think first of horses, don't go off looking for zebras. I can only assume you have had hands on experience with a like configuration and that it generated such an unfortunate outcome in your home. Am I correct in this assumption, Van?

Thanks, and Happy Listening.

NS~~~

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5436

No, sir, I've been asked to get rid of numerous ground loops in numerous "engineered" systems. When did you install the remote on switch in the Superscope?

Post Number: 5
Its a Marantz. The "remote on" function is accomplished with a switched 20 amp 110v outlet on the back of the Parasound (or the Yamaha for that matter). Both have available switched and unswitched outlets. When they power up so will the Marantz.

Username: Mow

Post Number: 3
I have an LG DVD recevier and I wanna know how to use the speakers (5.1) to play TV. I have connected all the inputs (red,yellow,white) from the system to the TV just dont know how to play TV sound through speakers. Can any one HELP! cheers

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3889
start a new thread bruce, don't hijack this one. You'll get better results if you post a titled thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us