Nad Hum---Yes Again

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 16
I recently bought a NAD 752 & had problems with humm/squeal when i attach the sub cable to the sub out on the receiver. This is the only time I have the problem, even if the other end of the sub cable is attached to nothing. I have tried several different sub cables & even ferrite chokes but nothing solves this problem. The dealer sent a tech in & he could not stop this either. Since then I have had three new 753's brought in from NAD & all three receivers had the same problem when hooked up at the dealers shop. As soon as the sub cable is attached to the sub out on all 4 of these new NAD receivers the squeal starts from all 5 speakers in all modes except stereo (2 channel). My dealer locally has been great in getting me new units to try & a new Marantz loaner in the mean-time. But I am growing more & more frustrated as time goes on. I more than love the sound of the NAD's but this is getting ridiculous. NAD has no explanation & just keep sending replacements.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 18
I have 2 sub out connected to my t762. They are connected with 2 monster phono cables with shielding. The leads are quite long. 1 is about 2 m's lonag and the other 3 m's. both of them are passing near electrical power cables, coaxial aerial anthena. No hum is being generated. Try using shielded phono cables and check what happens!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Does anyone else have a NAD receiver with a connection made to the sub-out? And if so are they having the squeal/hum problems I am? As I said in the original post, I have tried 4 different NAD's & all showed this problem in my house & at the dealers store as well.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 238
Paul,

I have an NAD T762 with a sub connected with the sub out, and have thus far heard none of the things you did. Obviously your sub cable is serving as some sort of receptor for interference. Have you tried different brands of sub cables? In your situation, you may benefit from some of the more expensive sub cables that are shielded better. Also, how many ferrite chokes have you used? I think I remember reading on another thread that it took one person 4 or 5 of them to eliminate the interference caused by his sub cable.

Lars Aas
Unregistered guest
My T752/753s were all used with an active sub (B&W ASW300). Never noticed any buzz related to whether the sub was attached or not. All the 753s buzzed regardless ;) The 752 had a dead front channel and was replaced before I managed to check into any such problems.

Anyways, now my buzz problems finally seem to be over. Had the last one sent in for repairs instead of getting a replacement. Took a week. They did the buzz modification, and I haven't noticed the buzz since. Yeay!

Lars Poling
Unregistered guest
Any idea the starting point for the modifications in regards to serial numbers?

Bronze Member
Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 22
Paul,
Is the dealer using your sub cable or their own when they are testing? Also are the cables actually attached to a sub at the dealers? Is the sub out put set to ON or OFF when you are trying this? Have you tried turning the SUB output to OFF prior to connecting, making the connection to the receiver and the sub and then turning SUB ON in the receiver? I have a T742 with a 12 m long sub cable and I do not get this behavior.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
The dealer used his own cable & I have tried 3-4 different cables on my own, from the cheapest available to very expensive. It happens even if the other end of the sub cable is not connected, but also if it is. I haven't seen a SUB ON on the receiver, unless you mean on the on screen display. I have tried everything I can think of, from ferrite chokes to plugging the receiver into a grounded bathroom outlet & nothing helps. The dealer said he sold thirty 742's over Christmas & none were returned so maybe it is just a problem with the 752 & 753's.

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 35
FWIW, I stopped in at a local audio shop that deals in NAD among others. I asked him if he'd seen any problems with the 7X2's or 7X3's. He said he sold many x2's and a quite a few x3's and none have been returned so far.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 115
Sem

I asked a dealer here in Aus if they had problems with NAD receivers. He said some, but that was expected with units with so much electronics packed into them.

Another day, same dealership and only the dealers son was in the store. I asked the same question. He said not one. That did it for me and I bought a Marantz.

Moral: unless they are family or very good friends how much faith do you put in what a dealer says?

Bronze Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 36
Good point. Enjoy your Marantz. In my case though, he knew I wasn't going to buy from him since I told him up front I had just purchased a NAD receiver from someone else. Actually I was driving by and noticed the big NAD letters in his window and figured I'd stop in to see what he had. Small shop, some nice gear but he had a big stain on his shirt.

Moral: never buy audio equipment from someone who's wearing half his lunch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Sem

Thanks, the Sr-7300 is wonderful so I don't regret not buying the NAD (T763) even though when listening it did sound brilliant. I just couldn't deal with such blatant dishonesty. That and the fact that the 7300 dropped $600 in price at the time clinched the deal.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 245
Rantz,

I would agree with your statement about not necessarily trusting audio dealers. However, I have asked 4 different NAD dealers the same question that Sem asked, and I got answers very similar to his from ALL four. I must also say that I made it very clear to 3 of the 4 that I was not going to buy anything. None went so far as to say they have had NO trouble with NAD receivers, just no more trouble than any other brand. One dealer (which is rather small) said he had had only one NAD returned since the store opened (about a year), and that was because the customer's kid had spilled soda into the top vents and obviously needed repair. Am I trying to say that I would trust all four of these dealers with my life...absolutely not, but when all four are saying the same thing, I would tend to beleive it. Either that, or there is some huge NAD conspiracy out there to decieve us all. Maybe we should have Oliver Stone look into that? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Johnny

I tended to believe the father's statement when he said "some, but that was expected with units with so much electronics packed into them." It was the son's blatant lie that turned me.

But let me qualify this. I wasn't intimating NAD has more problems than other brands (although it may appear so on this board), in fact the owner went on to say that NAD excelled in customer service and had always worked expeditiously with him to solve any issues. He said he wished other manufacturers whose brands he sold were the same.

And "some" doesn't mean a lot.

I would recommend NAD any day on that view alone. And we all know that no manufacturer has made the perfect receiver. Out-sourcing in the manufacture process is going to create a few problems with any brand - and most brands are doing that now to remain competitive.

Like most, I have a problem with dealers or salespeople who blatantly lie to make a sale. The 'moral' I added to my previous post is based on my own experience in sales. I wish I could say that the honesty won the percentages.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us