7.1 receiver to drive m&K 4 ohm

Unregistered guest
I haven't seen any 7.1 receivers that claim to be able to drive at 4 ohms for any length of time, other than the yamaha RX-V4600. Anyone know of any others that can make that claim? Does anyone have a 4600? how do you like it?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 125
How much are you looking to spend? Rotel and Arcam AVRs will handle 4 ohm speakers; NAD AVRs will if you can live with the reliability/hissing issues; H/Ks will too, although they don't emphasize it. Or you could go with separates for the best results.

bluechevyvette
Unregistered guest
I's like to stay below $1500, which I know is a tall order. Anyone have a Yamaha RX-V4600?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2260
My Yammi2500 drives a 7.1 surround(all 4 ohm) speakers without breaking a sweat. I wouldnt suggest trying that with just any receiver.

The 4600 looks awesome........

Gold Member

Post Number: 2261
I take that back, my surrounds are 8 ohm.

bluechevyvette
Unregistered guest
The other receiver I was considering was the NAD T773. The Yamaha RX-V4600 boasts a little more power (135 watts to NAD's 110), but they are usually a little under rated. My father always swore by NAD's stuff, but I've been pretty happy with all the Yamaha's I've owned (including the bikes..lol) Anyone have any thoughts on the NAD?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2263
NAD has quality control and reliability issues with their AVRs. I wouldnt even consider NAD, if I were you.

The 4600 is an awesome receiver that I would love to own, except I just bought my 2500 earlier this year. had the 4600 existed when I was shopping, I probably would have bought one. It's pretty similar to the 2500, but it has a few improvements. The biggest being the addition of DVI ports.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 130
I'd stay far away from the NADs myself. The Yammie should do the job for you, or you could buy this amp (7x190w into 4ohms, all channels driven):
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7125.html

with any sub-$500 AVR to use as a pre/pro.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2266
Would you even want to run it in 4 ohm mode??

Hmm...I might start a new thread to get feedback, because I run 4ohm speakers, and leave my receiver set at 8ohm.

bluechevyvette
Unregistered guest
It just seems that you're not going to get the full benefit of running 4 ohm speakers without being in the right mode. Plus I think it would put a strain on the power supply.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 834
Certainly, 4 ohm speakers stress an amp more than higher loads do. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I ran a Denon 2106 into a 5.1 surround set of M&K Xenon LCR25 and surround25s (and line level to the MX700 sub) for a full 2 hours at -10db (i.e pretty loud) all afternoon last Saturday (we had a really slow day and decided to watch a movie) and then all weekend (at -20db). Now a 2106 is almost entry level, so I'd say the bigger Denons (2806 and 3806 when they come out) won't have any problems. Good sound too!

The NAD receivers will drive 4 ohm loads happily all day long. No problem there. People talk about reliability issues which I haven't seen here; yes they hiss a little more than Denons but they sound absolutely great when there's an actual signal going through them - and they murder the Denons on music in my opinion.

Then there's the Arcam which is hot property at the moment.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2274
I dunno blue,

I think you can. I think you might even get better sound with it set that way. The load isnt static anyway so why should it matter? I think if you have a receiver with enough power to drive 4 ohm speakers well, the setting is irrelevent.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 18
Heard the 4600 at ultimate electronics yesterday paired with klipsch speakers. I am seriously considering selling the 2500 and upgrading to the 4600 i was absoultly wowed.

Unregistered guest
I bought my 4600 this past weekend after being on the waiting list for over a month. I was replacing my Yamaha 3000 that I have been listening to for years. The difference between the two was incredible. Rear separation and effects is a very noticeable difference. Also I love the auto calibration. out of box it sounded one way, but after the auto set up man what a difference. I have gone through the manual and have played with it for a week now so if anyone has questions please let me know.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1416
h/k receivers are also rated to 4 Ohms.

Unregistered guest
Where is it established that H/K is rated to drive 4 ohms?

More specifically, where has Harman Kardon International verified that any of their AVR's will drive 4 ohm speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1418
I thought it was listed in the manual... Perhaps I have that confused with published bench tests.

In any case, a friend had difficulty driving his Magnat Needle speakers rated at 4 ohms nominal. The sound was loud but thin and compressed in dynamic range. We hooked up my avr-325 and it sounded great. So he fixed his problem with a NAD receiver, which we knew could also handle the 4 ohm load.

mattburk
Unregistered guest
I have M&K 4ohm speakers. In the last few years, I have had the rotel, 175 & 1066, marantz 7400,5500,& 8400, & various yamaha receivers. The best for music, and most expensive, was the rotel separates, following just behind is the marantz 8400. For movies the yamahas are great, but I do not think they mix well for music with m&k's, just a little too bright,I could not listen after 5 minutes.
Depending on budget, I would go rotel first, marantz second. If you want a full featured marantz for less than separate costs, check out the sr-8500.

mattburk
Unregistered guest
to edit my above post that was the rotel 1075amp.
None of the above listed items had a hard time pushing my s-150's or750's. Mk's do not seem that hard to push, they get loud fast.
After looking at your budget, I would check out the 8500, if music is a concern, if not go yamaha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us