Setting individual speaker volume settings on receiver

Anonymous

I have a Onkyo TX-LR552 digital receiver with Infinity TSS750 speaker system. What should I se the individual speaker volume settings to? It ranges from -12db to +12db for each speaker and the subwoofer. Would it hurt to put the levels all at +6? Can you give me some advice on what each setting should be? It is a 6.1 system. I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 284
i have an onkyo reciever myself, so hopefully, yours works similar to mine.

i'd suggest staying at the 0dB level for your reference unless you have speakers that are particularly quiet in the front or back.

if you select "test tone" on your remote (provided YOUR reciever has this feature) you should set all of your speaker's levels so that when you switch from channel to channel, IDEALLY every channel sounds exactly the same.

if your surrounds are quieter... then go ahead and raise their level. if even at +12db (my reciever's max) they are STILL quieter than your mains, then start to lower your mains' volume as needed.

forget math. let your EARS decide the proper balance.

when all 5 main channels (not subwoofer) sound as much alike as you can make them with volume adjustments, then you have the right balance.

i'd try to stay as close to 0dB as possible all around. i imagine that that's the ideal level that the reciever was designed for.

the last time i used surrounds, i think i was going +3dB one surround and +4dB the other as the surrounds weren't matched.

your ears, and your room acoustics should determine your volume settings. if you had a VU meter, you could get EXACT settings.

basically, when you get those white noise setup tones... they should sound exacly the same in every speaker and the sub tone should be at the same level as your mains.

your reciever probably has the setup tones you need built in already. i know my 55wpc unit was "entry level" 3-4 years ago. i'm sure MOST other onkyos have these basic features of my cheap unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us