Wiring cost

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 327
what is the wiring cost usually to wire everything together if i get the works? (sub, surround speakers, tv, dvd, receiver)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 619
$300-$500.

Anonymous

Bull-go to knukonceptz.com and get the klarity or krystal interconnects and get the Karma 16 gauge speaker cable.Then get a Klein wire stripper for your 16gauge speaker cable and your set for about $50-$100.crutchfield.com also has good speaker cable at about $15 for 50ft-that's what I've got now but I suspect the Knu sp cable is just as good-probably slightly harder to strip than crutchfields though due to smaller strands(I think) though but with a good wire stripper(which I don't yet have klein is supposed to be the best)should be no trouble-note don't get the cheaper Karma interconnects-I found the connectors too tight.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 289
Go to Home depot and get a reel of 16 or 14 guage wires for $45.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2220
12AWG wire is only about 35cents/foot at Lowes. Home depot doesnt carry 12AWG wire, but they sell 14AWG wire for 45cents/foot.

Anonymous

anybody who'd spend more than $50 for wiring is either a millionaire or a moron or both.

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
Component cables x 2 ----------- $120
S Video cable x 2------------------- $50
Optical Cable x 2-------------------- $100
Coax Cable x 3---------------------- $90
Interconnects x 6-------------------- $100
Speaker Wire (70 Ft @$1.00) - $70

Total-------------------------------------- $530

And I just don't feel like a moron, there must be something wrong with me.

Bronze Member
Username: Black05hemi

So Cal

Post Number: 16
You don't need to spend that much on cables, sorry to burst your bubble...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1797
I'm curious Kano, what's the rest of your system and how much did it all cost? I just wanted to get some idea of scale and proportion here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Canadian Prices, and everything tends to be more expensive for Hi-Fi here, but regardless I think $500 is still a pretty low end purchase, no snake oil in anything I bought.

Edster, I have a Cable Box hooked up with S-Video and Coax. The Denon DVD2910 ($1000) is hooked up with component and optical, and the 6 interconnects. The PSW404 ($320) is hooked up with two coax cables to the left/right pre-outs. Polk Rti8 ($800), Csi3 ($200), Fxi3 ($350) with 12 AWG.
I use good quality component and optical cables to hook up my Xbox.

The Harman Kardon AVR430 was $1050.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
The price differences are unbelievable between Canada and the US, even for internet direct. Co-Worker purchased the SVS PB-10ISD when it was on sale for $369, he paid $700CAN was all was said and done, but still a better deal than what you pay in shop.

Next trip I take down to the States I'm coming home with some seperates instead of a spare tire, if you catch my drift.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1800
ah, I forgot you're Canadian...so what's the exchange rate right now? I assume those are all Canadian$ you listed?

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
Even with the now lower exchange rate after additional shipping costs and import taxes, it's no longer as good a deal as buying in store when considering the 5 year warranty on the receiver and DVD player, and 7 year warranty on the speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 290
Kano are you not able to shop on any of the US sites that sell equipment? I mean $50 for an optical cable is really a lot even in Canadian $. I recently ordered three pairs of a combo S-Video/Optical cable. The whole thing with shipping cost $42.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1385
There are bargain electronics store that sell much cheaper stuff, sometimes regular products and sometimes surplus or bankrupcy stuff.

These are in Montreal and Quebec City:

http://www.addison-electronique.com/
http://www.maddison.ca/
http://www.electromike.com/

For example, a few years ago I purchased a 100' spool of 12 AWG oxygen-free speaker wire for C$25 from ElectroMike. I buy my interconnects there. They have very cheap cables ($2) to more expensive cables ($50) and some very good quality inexpensive ones ($12).

I'd never buy a cable at Radio Shack again (now Circuit City La Source).

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 482
I did the cable thing last year at a Montreal store and could never find a difference in a 20$ speaker cable and 2000$ one! I tried really hard but only the salesman noticed a difference.......go figure!

I have 5000$ worth of equipment and maybe have 250$ of cables! Sounds pretty darn good too!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1390
Hey Danman,

What about you Cambridge Audio? What model was that and what's wrong with it?

:-)

Peter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us