Hdmi Worth Waiting For?

Username: Makluda

Post Number: 6
Looking to buying a receiver upon more research that I have done. Im wondering if its worth to buy a receiver now or wait.

Is it worth waiting for more receivers that come with HDMI inputs at resonable pricing or is it not really worth it. Going to be getting a Hdtv hopefully in the future and thinking about the long term outlook.

Also wondering if Hdmi converters ( i know im using the wrong terminology just cant think of the name right now sorry im a Newbie) are able to be compatible with the receivers out now? And i wont need to wait for hdmi in the receivers just need to get a converter in the future.

I apologize if any of that doesnt sound right hope you get the idea. Thanks

Anonymous

I'd wait. For when the new ones come out, they will have Dobly Digital Plue and DTS-HD. all channel High resolution audio as well as high def video for High Definition DVD's which are coming out early next year.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2294
Sean,
Geez.....

Only you can answer that question. How important is it for you to be able to run your HDTV video through your receiver via HDMI?

Do you even realize it's purpose?? If so, then you should already have the answer to your question.

Post Number: 9
Paul -

Only I can answer that question? well i know its obvious i make the final decision but i just like to find EXPERTS in this field which know a lot more then me (i know nothing) Just looking for peoples opinion on hdmi and what they feel about it. I dont need people criticizing what i ask and answering my question with a question.

Annon Truth
Unregistered guest
Paul is an arrogant unhelpful pr!ck. Your question was valid, don't let this douchebag get in your way.

If you can wait another 6 months you will have a lot more choices on AV receivers with HDMI inputs. But unless you are switching multiple HDMI sources, it may not be beneficial to you at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2295
Sean,
Sorry, but that was a stupid question that only you can answer.

Heck, do you even use HDMI for your HDTV?? You may as well ask which color is better, green or blue and ask for advice on that.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 842
Sean,

HDMI looks like becoming the de facto standard in the future, so if you want to future-proof things, then it is worth waiting for it. However, as Paul says, it depends on your personal situation too. If you have no intention of buying a suitably equipped DVD player, then you won't gain the benefit of the HDMI socket on your HDTV. I have used HDMI in standard mode (rather than HD) and it seems a teeny bit better than good old component but this is using high end DVD players (Arcam FMJ DV29 and Naim DVD5 with a DVI->HDMI convertor) through a Sharp ZX200 projector which is pretty good. No HD though which is meant to be where HDMI shows everything else up.

The forthcoming plasma screens (by Christmas) from the likes of Pioneer, Sharp, Panasonic etc., will all have HDMI and in some cases will have multiple HDMI inputs allowing you to plug your satellite box and DVD player via HDMI concurrently. All well and good, but again will you derive the benefit if the sources are not HD, and even more pertinent would the result through HDMI be worse than analogue for certain sources? This is a difficult one to answer since I haven't tried the options myself.

In conclusion, HDMI is the future standard and it may come to pass that we will see less of the component, S-Video and composite options in future in favour of HDMI. However, its benefit to you depends a great deal on whether the sources will have HDMI as an option and whether you will want to always switch through your receiver. After all, you may not wish to have ht epalaver of going through the receiver just to watch the telly! Then again, you might. Your call.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 479
I wish my Panny had a HDMI socket because I saw a new DVD with it and it was much better than my Cambridge (that I regret buying!). I think if you want a nicer picture after spending good money on a good tv, it is worth it.

Sean don't pay attention to Paul! Any new technology developed after 1979, and he is lost! Get out of the basement Paul!

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the help guys, ya paul is just a jerk. He doesnt know how to read messages because it clearly asks for peoples opinions and advice.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1383
Danman,

You must have told me before, but is this the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D you regret buying? Why is that? Isn't very good for redbook CD playback and an okay DVD-A player to boot?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1604
There have been some QC issues with Cambridge.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1388
Really? I have not heard of any. Is this recent or past years?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 483
Peter I own the DVD 55 and it has been in the shop three times in the past 6 months of ownership! My dealer changed it for another and it is not much better. I used to own a cheap Panasonic that I paid 100$ for and it worked MUCH better and still does in my sons room.

The picture is fuzzy and hard to adjust. It gets quite warm during use for a DVD player therefore I would imagine the transport will wear out faster. I am going to get the newer NAD model soon and after auditioning it, I was very impressed at how easy it is to set up and the picture and sound are much better.

I guess I am not used to having my gear break down so often. I use quite a big system in a big rack that I built and all the complexity of cables that go with that and to always have to readjust this due to breakdown gets me fumed!

Yes there are more QC isues than you would think. My dealer says he has quite a few amps and CD players that have problems with the power supplies and transport system jamming. I only bought it because I am not really a movie moger but thought I would be getting better than what I had before!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1398
Thanks. I'll take that as a no vote towards the CA Azur 540C or 540D then.

Leaning towards the used Rotel RCD-02 today...

You really must drop by the next time you're on this side of the St. Lawrence (now that you have roads again)!

Bronze Member
Username: Fable

Post Number: 37
"I am going to get the newer NAD model soon and after auditioning it"

Danman,

You already audition the new NAD dvd player? my local dealer said they knew nothing about this new master series stuff? The new dvd player look awesome (seen from your other post).

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1609
You really can't lose with either the NAD or the Rotel Peter.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1399
Thanks Art!

Can you tell I have trouble making purchase decisions! ;-)

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 487
Sorry Dexter.......not the Master Series, the new slimline T514. The Master Series would be a little much for me.

Peter do you have the ability to audition each of your choices?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 488
Sorry Peter, I did not read your other post. I am not sure when I am returnng to Rimouski as I travel always to Matane then turn off towards the Gaspe for meetings. As for Karate, well it is the same. I don't get there often. The last time was about 2 years ago for a clinic your area was holding.........great fun! And recently for the younger bunch. If ever I go, I will let you know........thanks for the offer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2331
I dont think anything is worth waiting for because technology will always be changing, and something better will always be on the horizon. Buy the best thing you can now, and when something new arrives, buy it if the upgraded technology is good enough to entice you to reach into your wallet.

If you adopt the 'wait and see' approach too often, you'll never upgrade your system because you'll always be waiting for the best next thing. Get the best that today has to offer. When technology finally improves enough 'again' to warrant upgrading, then do so when that time arrives.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 861
Hmmm, sometimes, it's opportune to buy stuf and sometimes not. For example, right now in Europe would be a bad time to buy a plasma screen because the majors are all going to launch their new models in about 4 weeks' time.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2334
in 4 weeks time??

LOL...that should go without saying.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1400
Danman,

The Rotel is in Quebec City, so it's difficult to hear it on my system. But a friend will check it out for me. As for the NAD C542, it depends whether Tanguay Electronique has one.

Don't hesitate to call if you do come by...
I usually stay one night in Sept-Iles in mid-march so maybe I'll end up calling you up first!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 492
Let me know Peter.

Watch out for Tanguay.........their after sale service can be so-so! Also, let me know what price they want to sell you the 542 if you decide on that one. I may be able to get you better!

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 869
Paul

Meaning what precisely?

Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2339
It should go without saying that waiting for new technology is worthwhile if you know that timeframe is an instant.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 872
Well, some people get the bug and the money just seems to be burning a hole in their pocket. There's also the question of whether the next model will be as good as the outgoing one. For example Panasonic's first 4 plasma releases were excellent Unfortunately things went downhill after that because Panasonic were trying to reduce costs. Result? Not as good as the outgoing model.

But yes, the majors are going to come out with new ranges in just a few weeks and certainly before Christmas. We've seen Denon come out with their 1906 and 2106 so we know that the 2806 and 3806 aren't too far away. Probably early next year. Yamaha are coming out with something around then as well, as you know. NAD's master series is round the corner. I'm sure Pioneer will have something too. The new better stuff will have the HDMI capabilities so this is stuff worth waiting for.

This does mean, of course, that the poor punter int he street really needs to be more savvy than ever when it comes to buying this stuff. I think a lot of people are put off this industry because of the immediate obsolescence concern.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 496
I agree with you Frank. As nice as technology is, companies seem to be playing catch up with one another and are constantly upgrading. I am into 2 channel listening and like basic equipment that SOUNDS good rather then follow a trend.

HDMI is interesting however for image and sound but...........

Problem is, most people are not like us and think we are crazy to spend 5000$ or more to listen to music or watch tv.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2343
As it stands now, I see no 'need' to upgrade to an HDMI receiver until HD-DVDs are available. That's because I'm not a fan of the upscaling DVD players, and will be using component cables for DVD video until that time. When I have a 2nd component that requires a HDMI/DVI connection, then I'll upgrade.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 874
Paul

Why aren't you a fan? Even standard images are better through the HDMI interfacce generally speaking.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2349
I agree that some of the newer films are improved, but it's very inconsistant at best. With some movies, all it does is sharpen and bring contrast to grain and artifacts you'd rather not see. Let's face it, DVDs are low def, and nothing can change what they are.

I prefer to view my 480p material with standard component cables, and I'll only upgrade once there is HD content on DVDs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us