Need help hooking up some speakers to a kenwood amp

Username: Outlawhunter

Post Number: 1
I have a kenwood VR-409receiver. I am trying to hook up 2 - 15 inch cerwin-vega speakers to it along with a small surround sound set up. The receiver has "A" and "B" outputs on the back. I have the 15s going through "B" like I had before and they work. I can get the two bookshelf speakers to work at the same time running them through the "A" outputs. I need to get the center chanel and the two rear speakers to work some how. If I mess with the receiver I can get the center chanel to work but then the 15s need to be off. I am having a lot of trouble with this thing any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5381

If this receiver has a Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital processor for surround functions, all these speakers need to be routed from the "A" speakers. The proper locations should be marked front right/left, center, surround right/left.

Is this a surround receiver?

Vini247
Unregistered guest
Hi i have a kac 8152d kenwood amp... and a pair of jbl p-92 6x9's. would you recommend that the the speakers can be run off the amp through one channel of the amp? thank you for helping.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 355
no! no! no! no!

don't ever run two car speakers off one output of a home reciever. 99.9% of home speakers are 8 ohms or less while most car speakers are 4ohms.

when you run two speakers off one terminal, you halve the impedence of the load to your amp which is one step closer to just wiring the positive and negative together and shorting them out.

if amps like anything, it's higher impedences... not lower ones. car amps are designed to run at lower impedences than home units.

i wouldn't even suggest using the car speakers to begin with as they're likely to be 4 ohms already which is bad enough. run a second speaker in parallel with the other, and you could be loading your amp with 2 ohms and begging for it to literally blow up.

MOST cheap home recievers don't have the high current capacity needed to run 4 ohms, much less 2 ohms from two 4ohm speakers paralleled.

if you, for some reason, ABSOLUTELY had to run both speakers off one terminal, the way to do it would be.
1. wire one speaker's positive terminal to the amp
2. then, wire it's negative terminal DIRECTLY into the positive terminal of the other speaker, NOT to the amp
3. then, connect the second speaker's negative terminal to the amps negative.

that's a series connection which DOUBLES the impedence.

if the speakers were 4 ohms, then you'd give the amp a much safer 8 ohm load and if they were (unlikely) 8 ohms... you'd give the amp a 16 ohm load which isn't optimal, but won't fry the amp. tube amps in particular actually like 16 ohm loads better sometimes.

home amps driving 2 ohm loads is DEFINATELY an accident waiting to happen!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us