HSU STF-2 vrs world???

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 271
Hello all. I will shortly be in the market for a new subwoofer as I will finally have a little cash available for my "discretionary" usage. I currently have a tiny little Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 8 subwoofer. For those not familiar with this sub, it utilizes an 8" woofer and 50 watt amplifier in a 12" cubed box. For 100 bucks it wasn't bad, but lets face it, it has its limits.

I am basically looking for a no frills, all performance subwoofer in the $400 price bracket (+/- $100) which will be expressly for HT usage (I prefer to run my mains full range for music). The room is 14x18x12 (vaulted ceiling, 12' avg height) with good padded carpeting, but otherwise fairly bare. Due to the size and layout of the room, I do need a relatively "compact" sub. The STF-2 would be about as large a footprint as I would want. Height isnt as big of a concern, so I have been looking at the cylinder subs as well.

Also, if possible I would like this sub to be somewhat future proof. Basically, if it does get moved to a larger room, I don't want it to turn into an anemic SOB.

Am I asking too much for my dollar? Does anyone have any other suggestions for subwoofers?

Thanks in advance,
Your friendly neighborhood DA.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1737
$400 will get you either the STF-2 or the SVS PB10, now that would be a very interesting comparison.

How about you order both and ship back the one you like less? Only way you'll ever know for sure. SVS has a rep of being better for HT than music, though of course some people (like SVS) will disagree that this is a valid dichotomy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1738
If you want future proof I'd shell out the extra $200 for the STF-3 or PB-12 or Outlaw LFM-1.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1567
I'd skip the PB-12. BTW I run my mains full range + use my sub for frequencies below what my mains will do for music. Edster has the right idea relative to the Hsu or Outlaw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1741
Art he's doing "expressedly HT" so I don't think he'd complain about the PB-12 too much.

BTW I have been trying out a friend's M&K external HPF (80Hz fixed) with my NAD since the pre-pro doesn't have one, and have found that I actually prefer it better without especially for jazz since the NAD gets so much bass out of my Ascends. I'd love to try a 60Hz HPF though, or even 40Hz because the speakers go down to 50Hz and not as much would get lost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
The reason I prefer no sub with my music though is that I find I get a much more open sound that way. The fact my current sub doesn't really go much deeper than my mains doesn't really inspire me in that regard either though...

Also are there any subs that aren't from strictly online vendors that I could take a gander at, eg
Velodyne, M&K, etc. I do live in the San Francisco area, so I do have access to listen to quite a bit.

As for the SVS vrs HSU comparison, maybe...But it sounds like a pain.

Personally I don't think it'll take all that much to impress me given where I'm coming from.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1747
> Personally I don't think it'll take all that much to impress me given where I'm coming from.

If you're sure you won't be using the sub for music at all, I'd look into the Dayton 12" for $140 shipped. Two people on this forum will be receiving it sometime this week, wait for their reviews. No reason to spend more if this $140 suits your needs...unless you're looking for MONSTROUS bone-shaking bass like Paul's SVS which is 3 times the price of the STF-2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Well I am definately in no rush on this purchase.

For the music thing, I just have to wait and see if I like having it on for music or not. As it stands now, I don't much care for it, and I can live without a sub for music. Regardless of this however, I do still want a lot of bass power at my disposal along with quality. Since I havn't heard Paul's SVS I can't say I need that much power. However, CSW's top of the line sub was definately sufficient for my tastes, and I've heard that the bottom of the line SVS can whip it in output easily.

But lets see what our fellow forum members have to say on Dayton.

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
Well I just did the product recommendation form on Hsu's website, so we will see how that goes too. Hopefully they won't say "You must get the VTF-3!!!".

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2208
why sell yourself short?

Geez...
A VTF-3 will whoop the HSU cheap-o subs in any room size.

Do you want the best??..........or do you want the 'least'??

Dont settle......

Get the best you can because you'll always have it. So what if it costs a few hundred dollars more. What will that matter after several years of faithful service??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2209
TRANSLATION: Please sell me your cheapest and worst subwoofer possible.

Anonymous

TRANSLATION: Paul is yammering on and on again for the 10,457th time about how he has the most manly sub on the face of the planet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
LOL. There is a budget unfortunately as I am not a particularly rich man. I am a simple college student and work full time to get by. The difference between 399 and 699 is pretty big, especially when a lot of that is going into useless "features" like rosewood finishes and variable tuning that I don't need. I am looking for a solid sub that will serve me well into the future, don't get me wrong. But I think the STF-2 will be sufficient for that goal. I am still considering the SVS PB10 though. I just need to figure out a way to get it to fit into my room...I have a few ideas though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Dr Hsu recommended the STF-3. Decisions, decisions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
That's what he recommended to me too, and I sent him a diagram of my 6000 cubic foot space.

Unfortunately they never have any B-stock STF-3s, only STF-2s.

The one possible advantage of the VTF series is that Hsu is supposed to be coming out with a "turbocharger" add-on rear port extension in the next few months which claims to double output.

They're also supposed to be coming out with a High Output series of subs before the end of the year, at which point I imagine a lot of people might be taking their current Hsu models to Audiogon and upgrading.

Go to the Hsu forum and do a search, the Hsu staff are pretty mum about this but there's a fair amount of buzz going on by the forum users.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2211
oh hellll....

If you're just a college kid, dont waste a cent on a subwoofer. Just get a pair of massive CVs, and you'll be set. Save subwoofers and all that for when you get a real job.

Party on Wayne....

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Unfortunately, despite my youth, I have fairly expensive taste. Although I am not as young as most college kids either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Well I took some of Dr. Hsu's advice on placement. It did make a marginal difference, particularly at my main listening position. At the same time it made the null zones a lot worse, but I guess it is a resonable tradeoff. My little peewee sub still lacks the power and impact I am looking for though. Ohh well, bring on the reviews!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1576
"Art he's doing "expressedly HT" so I don't think he'd complain about the PB-12 too much."

I stick with what I said. You just don't need that kind of wasted space for the amount of bass it produces. If you felt you needed "Paul" type bass then maybe his sub which has much greater output than the above listed sub would be an appropriate use of space.

You guys really have to see the SVS subs to appreciate their size.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2241
Yep,
Fortunately for me, finding space for a large sub wasnt an issue. The bottom line is that you cant squeeze big theater sound from a tiny package.

The WAFfie lemmings will cringe at first sight.....

I can hear them now........"oh boy, my wife wont let me buy this one. I better look at tiny subs to avoid being put in my place".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1578
Paul, for me it has nothing to do with WAF. The SVS is an eyesore..period. Anyone with a sense of style would not want the beast anywhere where guests may be forced to gaze upon it. I suppose if you have have a huge living room and an appropriate sculpture to place on it one might be able to find an excuse for it. Other than that there are too may great sounding subs at half or less of it's size to bother.

Speaking of tiny packages, aren't those tiny little Bose speakers you are using for rears in your mismatched mess of a home theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Well its funny, Dr. Hsu suggested a spot right where I have an end table. Unfortunately this does limit the size to a degree, but the STF-2 would still fit. If i did get anything larger, only one other spot in the room would be able to accomodate it; in this spot the sub would be a major eye sore, and it would be right next to a major opening to a set of stairs leading down, which I imagine won't help much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2243
C'mon Art,
who wouldnt want to gaze upon one of those beauties?? I mean c'mon, it's a HT, isnt it?? There should be lots of speakers, big tv, electronics...etc, etc, etc. If not, then it's not a theater, or is it?

The only way I could see looking at it differently, is if I didnt have the space to put it. If that were the case, I'd have to look at knocking down an unnecessary wall to enlarge the room and rectify the problem:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1581
Yikes!!!! Remember Paul that for some of us the emphasis is on "HOME".

DA I think that the STF-2 looks like your best bet. It ain't future proof then again what is in this hobby.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
It just seems to fit like a glove for my space....

Combining that with HSU's reputation as one of the best bang for the buck subwoofer manufacturers, and I suppose I have got a winner.

I guess there isn't too much out there that can touch it without going a whole lot bigger or more expensive then ehh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Actually I must say, the repositioning helped a lot more than I first thought. While it still does not go deep enough for a good HT feel (39Hz low end extension), moving it has let me reduce the volume on the sub a good 8dB which is pretty significant power-wise.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 386
Art wrote:

Yikes!!!! Remember Paul that for some of us the emphasis is on "HOME".

A classic!

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 387
Paul wrote:

"The WAFfie lemmings will cringe at first sight.....

I can hear them now........"oh boy, my wife wont let me buy this one. I better look at tiny subs to avoid being put in my place". "

Paul, please stop quoting me! My wife might hear what I said!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2250
LOL Don.....

thats why they call it "HOME THEATER".

Either it's HT, or it's a TV with a couple additional speakers.

BTW, I was watching the SC/UCF game on HD-espn tonight, and I had to adjust the sub just enough to feel the on screen graphic sound effects......LOL

Oh yes, this football season is going to be a lot of fun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2251
C'mon Don.....

As any well prepared husband should do, you should create and demonstrate the large space available for a massive subwoofer before you choose the sub. then when you finally choose a behemoth...well, heck...if the space is there, she'll thank you for not getting anything bigger than the space permits.
:-)

I realize that for some, thats easier said than done, but you get my point.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 392
You are right - that a lot of it is how you present it and when.

My small sub is ok for now, though. Because my very small living room is ok for now.

I am just trying to be funny - no real arguing from me this late at night. Have a good night, Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2253
Naw...

dont take offense. I enjoy your input.

SmoothOne
Unregistered guest
I think i'm in the same boat as advocate. I just bought a Samsung big screen and now I need the sound to go with the incredible picture. Originally i was looking at a 12 inch Klipsch sub, but it seems like the concensus is that the HSU subs create superior sound. I'm also looking for satelite and center speakers to go with a nice sub. The package from HSU for a STF-3 with ventriloquist seems interesting... but i really don't know anything about HSU speakers. Any information/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Wired_for_sound

Chicago, Il U.s.a

Post Number: 15
Ther are many quality sounding subs out there for under $400.00, my listening room is 19'X14'X10' and I have POLK RTi series as fronts,surrounds, and rears, and to complement the equation I have (1) Cerwin Vega RL-28 powered subwoofer (200wpc) and let me tell you, this little rectangular subwoofer puts out awesome lows to the point my windows rattle and I only paid $299.00 with free shipping. Go ahead let the "seasoned audiophiles" make fun of your situation. Just like you I like all the Hi-end s@#! but I can't afford it now so what do you do? Work with what you got.
The store I got it at is mavin@mavin.com Upload

Username: Barbara

Post Number: 1
Paul

You sound like you're the type of guy that like to give a woman some head?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2368
Smooth,
What's your maximum budget??? If you dont want something entry level, you might want to consider SVS.

They have models that are much better than HSU, but they cost a bit more. I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend to have a great HT experience.

Username: Barbara

Post Number: 8
Paul

Don't be so rude this woman what's her P-U-S-S-Y L-I-C-K out and maybe just maybe I'll give you a BJ Paul.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us