Snell upgrade?

Username: Browes

Post Number: 1
I just moved to California from Massachusetts and instead of shipping my four Snell I am wondering if I should sell them put that money towards either a new set of four or another used set. The one thing I've been a little disappointed with in these speakers is how well they carry the bass.

I listen to a wide range of music so I need something that can carry the bass in Hip Hop, but I also want a real rich sound when I put on some acoustic guitar, or play a movie.

I like the real wood finishes on the Snells, so I want to keep that but am hoping for something that is a little more exciting to look at.

I'd really like to get something that's a little more rare- like the snells- as compared to say Infinity, JBL or the like.

I don't have a boatload of money so basically the money it would take to ship these ($400 I guess) plus the money I would make from selling them ($1000?) plus whatever I might be able to convince my wife of.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just keep the snells?

Post Number: 2
Those are four snells are all E/II.
sorry.

-bryan

Post Number: 3
Those four snells are all E/II.

sorry

-bryan

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 455
Brian,

The Snells get excellent user reviews so they might be hard to give up and replace, given your price range.

You don't mention how big the room is where you're listening, whether they'll be used for primarily HT or music? Do you want floorstanders or bookshelves? What types of music do you listen to and what are you looking for out of your system?

What have you listened to for under $700/pair? I'm sure you can find something you like for $1400 or less. But, it appears you do not have a powered sub and if you want stronger base, you're probably need to consider a sub in your budget and that will cost you $300 0 $400 for something decent and you'll have about $500/pair to spend from there.

Ascend and Axiom are great direct order speakers in this price range.

Paradigm and B & W have speakers in every price range, including $500/pair that you might consider.

If you give us some additional information, others will weigh in with more speaker suggestions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us