Newbie - Building a System - Help Please...

Username: Makluda

Post Number: 1
Let me first start off saying I dont know ANYTHING about the audio / home theatre systems at all. I Just started doing research. Looking for any advice I can get on what receiver to get and what speakers to attach to it.

Receivers im intersted in are Harmon Kardon (335 or 435) or Onkyo (not sure on a specific brand). As far as speakers go im clueless on that, just looking for the best receivers that would go with the receiver i choose. Im figuring HK speakers would go well with their own receiver but probably wrong.

More into MOVIES and GAMES then I am music, but not closing the door on music quality.

Dont have many products to plug into the receiver have an xbox, ps2, hitachi and sony dvd player and cable tv. I have a small room but thinking about moving it into larger living room if turns out to be a good system..

Thought about going cheap and buying a HTIB but heard nothing but bad things about those.

Sorry for my ignorance if i said anything bad Im just new to it all and trying to get my feet wet.

Any help from people would be so appreciative, im pretty much open to anything. Keep in mind im a poor college student and probably only on a $1000 budget. I know net is the way to go to buy the goods so always looking on ebay and reading reviews on amazon and cnet. Any more suggestions would LOVE it.

Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2163
What's your question? The more specific you are, the better.

Post Number: 2
Sorry if i didnt specify enough.

The question is what receiver would you recommend, the Harmon Kardon route or the Onkyo route (im leaning toward the HK 335 or 435 route)

The other question is what speakers would be the best to match the receivers?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1726
Definitely the HK receiver, however I'd look for something better than HK speakers which are basically HTIB quality.

Especially for movies and games, your best value would be to get an all-digital receiver like the Panasonic sa-xr55 ($240 shipped from amazon.com) and then buy a decent sub (Dayton 12" from partsexpress.com for $140 shipped or $300 Hsu STF-1 and $400 STF-2 from hsuresearch.com).

Go to avsforum.com and do a search for the Panny, you'll have at least an hour's worth of reading but it's worth it.

The speakers I'd look at with your budget limitations are the Athena B1s and B2s from audioadvisor.com --- get the best you can afford for the front 3, then wait on or go cheap with the surrounds since they do only about 10% of the work with most movies. Also you can look at crutchfield.com for Polk RTi4s for the front and R15s ($50/pair at Frys and Circuit City) for surrounds.

If you go with HK, check out Harman Audio on eBay, you should be able to swing a 335 for $200-300 with full direct HK warranty.

I'd prioritize money this way:

1. 3 front speakers
1. Receiver
2. Sub
3. Surrounds

Post Number: 3
Thanks when you say surrounds your talking about the left rear and right rear speakers right? Been reading a lot of your posts and following the advice you been giving with everything. If you think the panasonic would be a better buy for me then the HK im gonna go with that thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1731
If you're on a tight budget, the Panny is the way to go...if you can afford the HKs then you won't be disappointed with them either, some people prefer the sound of analog receivers. What I'd do is get the Panny first, see how you like it and if not return it for the HK. That's a hassle but the only way to be sure.

Post Number: 4
I probably look into that, leaning toward the Hk a bit more after reading some reviews on the Panny. One more thing looking into the speakers I have a small room so i know i wont be able to handle so many speakers that are book shelfs, what are some good/great satellite speakers to get that go well with the Hk 335?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1734
some people recommend Orb Audio as a Bose alternative, haven't heard them myself.

The Athena packaged speaker systems are supposed to be good, they're definitely very affordable.

Which Panny reviews did you read? I don't think it's been professionally reviewed yet, just a whole slew of consumer reviews on the avsforum.com and hometheaterforum.com boards.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3670
Sean,
What is your budget on speakers?

Post Number: 5
Edster922 - I just been going thru the avforums and alos revies that i see online doing searches thru google. I want to get a receiver that i know will let me upgrade and im sure HK will allow me that if i decide to move my system to a bigger room and if i upgrade my television to a hdtv or a plasma.

Berny - Im not really sure on a budget for my speakers I guess im open to anything ($600-$1000 anything i guess) at this point im looking for what sounds the best with a HK 335.

Is it wise to just go to the HK 435 or not much of a difference there between the 335?

Also what are good places to buy it? I lookd up prices and found these:

Avr 335 = ebay $525 total

Avr335 = amazon $471 total

Avr 335 = jandr $ total $459

Avr335 - electronics expo $431

I hear J and R are reliable but the price of Electronis Expo i dont know if its too good to be true for that price. Anybody done business with them and know about them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Harman Audio on eBay usually auctions off the 335s for around $300-400, for $525 you can get a 435 or even a 630 if you're lucky.

ElectronicsExpo is also good. Look up dealers at resellerratings.com though pricegrabber.com will also have a feedback tally.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us