Hum because of cable?

riche
Unregistered guest
It's a long story but I just got an Outlaw 950 pre to connect to my NAD 773. When I started hooking up the connections from my tv I got a hum in the speakers. This includes s-video from tv to pre, rca from tv to pre, and component video to dvd player which runs coax to pre (I didn't get it with optical connection) When all was hooked up I disconnected the coax cable that runs from the back of the tv to the wall and the hum stopped. I rerouted the cable cable so that it was nowhere near any power and it still hums. Any thoughts? The tv is a sony wega about two years old. I will pick up some fancy expensive cable (that I can return, of course) to see if that might help. I didn't get this when using my 773 preamp section.

Sorry. That's all probably pretty confusing. Sufice to say that when the coax for cable is connected to the tv any connection from the tv to the preamp produces a hum. When coax is disconnected, no hum.

All of the cables I use in the system have some sort of shielding.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 312
I am puzzled why you felt the need to buy a pre-amp in the first place. What did you find missing in the pre-amp section of the 773?

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

Post Number: 14
Sounds like a classic ground loop. I do not half first hand knowledge on how to fix it, but there is a lot of info regarding the subject online.

riche
Unregistered guest
Like I said, long story. There is too much hiss in this receiver for my tastes and I wanted to test the theory that if I hooked up an external preamp the hiss level would go down. So far that has proven true. I have tested other models in the 7x3 line and have found the same type of hiss. This seems to be inherent (sp?) among the NAD receivers. It's not terrible by any means. You can't hear it over the music or movies being played. But I know it's there and the fact it's there at all bugs me. I am thinking of going to seperates and this is the first step towards figuring out if it is worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 313
riche,
Thanks for the reply to my question and that is indeed a sad tale for such an expensive receiver and one with the rep that NAD has. For a $1999 list unit you should hear no hiss at all. I can turn up my Elite 45 to zero without any source and it's deathly quiet, as any should be. I know this site has had many, many NAD owners post with problems of one sort or another and it's really hard for me to reconcile whether NAD has a legitimate quality control problem or it's just that this site is so popular for NAD owners. It seems to me that there have been way too many problems reported here not to be a bit leery but then others say that's not true. All I know is hiss and fan noise are totally unacceptable.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 73
riche,
I have a T773 and I have to put my ear to the speaker to hear any hiss. I wouldn't know it was there if I wasn't going out "looking" for it.

I would get the unit checked out before spending money on other components unless the level I hear is what you're unhappy with but that's your call. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 17
JDG,
Do you use a sub? I have had a 752 & three 753's in the last month and all are fine until I try to insert a cable into the sub-out. Then I get the squeal/hiss, as does the dealer at his shop, on all units.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us