NAD320 TO NAD 370 IS IT WORTH IT?

Bronze Member
Username: Ellison

Post Number: 21
MY CD PLAYER IS NAD521. MY SPEAKER IS MS 904 FLOORSTANDING. MY AMP IS NAD320BEE. I WANT TO UPGRADE MY AMP TO NAD 370 OR 372. IS IT WORTH IT? DOES IT HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 815
The 370 was OK but a little bland in my view. The 372 is a very different, more engaging fish. I think the 372 is very well worth the difference and those MS speakers will benefit from the extra grip and control of the amp.

Regards,
Frank.
PS Try not to use BLOCK capitals since this is interpreted as shouting on much of the internet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks Frank for BLOCK capitals advice. :-) Anyway I type the wrong model of amp that Iam considering. Its 372. The reason I want to upgrade my amp is that my system is dual purpose (music & video). The reason I want to upgrade it is in video the sound is not dynamic. The slam is not so great. But for me the music is satisfactory in my 320bee. But I really do watch many video also but music quality is very important for me. In terms of musicality will this upgrade benefit?

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 277
Everyone has their own opinion and funnily enough I tend to disagree with Frank, I prefer the C370 to the C372! Both blow away the C320BEE though, bigtime. More depth, more control, more presence, more everything.

Bronze Member
Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 23
The older C370 is better than the late C372. power ratings might be lower for the former but compensated easily by better details and dynamics IMO.
Sorta confirmed this from WHF review of the C372 which they think is the worst of the group test a few months back...it received only 3/5 and was criticized as the most bland sounding (aka boring & lifeless integrated of the lot tested - all within a similar price range). Check out the review if you have the mag...i was also quite SHOCK coming from them..LoL

So buy the C370, cheaper and more bang-for-buck!!

Anonymous

Hi ,

This is a little OT but I have a question : Is it really needed to replace the 370/372 pre/power's jumper ?

And if that's really true what do you suggest ?

Thanks all ,

nout
Unregistered guest
Sorta confirmed this from WHF review of the C372 which they think is the worst of the group test a few months back...it received only 3/5 and was criticized as the most bland sounding (aka boring & lifeless integrated of the lot tested - all within a similar price range). Check out the review if you have the mag...i was also quite SHOCK coming from them..LoL

I've read the pdf
http://www.infit.se/septon/tester/RA03%20WHF%20group%20test%2005-05.pdf
and I don't think I agree with it, having heard the NAD c372, which sounds about the same as NAD C352, but with more power. I agree though with the description of the Marantz: "a gentle giant", the normal PM 7200 sounds like that too (difference between normal and KI version is minimal)

Here's another view on the grouptest winner Rotel RA-03:
http://www.infit.se/septon/tester/RA03-hifichoice-mar05.pdf
A bit like my experience with the Rotel RA-02, so I would prefer NAD (and Marantz) over the Rotel anytime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Wow! Now Iam confused. 370 or 372? Well theres no 370 anymore here in Manila. The 372 will be ship to dealers by September 26. If what you guys are saying is true that 372 is not that good compare to 370. What do you suggest about the 372? Is this fine or do I try to find other amps that is near that price range? What amp can you suggest that is 120Watts much better than Nad 372?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Hello SunKing & OnimushaLord . Is the difference of 370 and 372 huge? How many percent advantage does the 370 have over the 372?
My speaker is bi-wired. How about bi-amping with another 320bee again?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hi Nout, Ive read the review of the Nad372 in your pdf What hifi group test (May 2005). I just can't believe the review will be only 2 stars and What Hifi recomends 352. And I just can't accept that Ra03 & marantz 7200 wins over the Nad 372. The Ra03 is just being compared to Nad 352 and Nad 352 always wins it in approximately all end users forum, then He will just say that 352 is much better than 372. Oh my, Is this for real?
Hey forum guys what can you say about this.

nout
Unregistered guest
Ellison,
You still want to upgrade your NAD C320?

I would go for the C352, unless you want a lot more power than your current amp the C372 would be a good choice.
I could be wrong, but I didn't hear differences between C352 and C372 so it comes down to power only.

And I just can't accept that Ra03 & marantz 7200 wins over the Nad 372

Hahaha, well the Marantz is pretty good amp, but not better or worse than the Nad, different.
So is the Rotel, if you don't mind an occasional aggressive sting in the highs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Tnx Nout, I both a 352 now. And yes it sounded better and satisfactory now. Good heavens I didnt buy the 372. The 352 drives my speaker loud enough and the sound has more depth, body, and detail. The 352 is a good amp really. And I agree that 372 has more power only to 352. I believe 352 has more musical touch than 372. Tnx again Nout :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Anyway I really can't accept also that Ra03 & marantz 7200 is better to nad 372.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 279
The C372 is a great amp, I prefer it to Rotel's efforts. It isn't as good as the C370 though. That has a more 3 dimensional soundstage where you can pick the instruments out of the air, a feature associated with much more expensive amps. I also find the bass tighter. I swapped a C372 for a C160 & C270 pre/power combo, basically a hot-rodded C370. I did have a C370 for a while before the C372 but it broke and as they'd stopped making it I couldn't source a new one.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 474
SunKing........what happened to your 370?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 467
What about using the 320BEE as a pre-amp and adding a C272 as a power amp? This way you would upgrade your power without having to get rid of any equipment. This would actually be a few dollars cheaper than buying a C372.

Has anyone tried this? I've heard the pre-amp section of the 320BEE is very good, but haven't used it as such myself.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 476
I find this rather strange that they would say the C352 is their budget amplifier of the year and then say the 372 was basically crap! Afterall, the 372 is just a more powerful version and I listen to both often and never noticed any difference at all and actually preferred the 372 as I found it more dynamic. Go figure!

I am not sure but I also think I read somewhere last year in the same magazine that they found the 272 to be incredible! The 372 is exactly the same amplifier source only the pre-amp would be a little different but it is subtle to say the least!

I have listened to both the Marantz and the Rotel and did not prefer either and if I had a choice of the 2 it would of been the Marantz. The Rotel was thin and lifeless with overblown treble!

Maybe NAD pulled their advertisements that month!

Anonymous

" ... Maybe NAD pulled their advertisements that month! ... "

Yeah , that has to be the methodologycal explanation :-)

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 280
Danman,

"SunKing........what happened to your 370?"

It stopped working so I took it back for repair under warranty and the retailer had promptly "lost it" when I enquired as to its whereabouts a fortnight later. By that time you couldn't get a brand new C370 for love nor money but I managed to source a new pre & power combo! I was getting popping noises from the right channel if I remember correctly.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 493
In your case, things worked out pretty good! Kinda wierd how you could "lose" an amp that weighs almost 30 pounds!

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 281
Yes, I found it VERY strange and kicked off a fair bit I can tell you! Somewhere between the shop, their repairer/Nad and back to the shop again it got lost. Or so they told me anyway! I liked that C370 though - I've heard a couple since and maybe it's my memory but I'm sure they weren't as nice sounding as MINE.

Anonymous

Would anybody help me to chose speaker for amp DENON pma1500rII. My music taste are jazz, contry,folk music
Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3900
Anonymous,
Do not hijack this thread. Start a new thread withyour own heading.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 495
Sun King, nothing ever sounds as good as what we own!!!!hihi! That, however, is a good attitude to have because it seems most people here are never happy! Most will downplay other peoples gear though!

Anonymous

sory my guys but i don't know to start a new thread

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 498
Go back one step and look up at the beginnig of the listing and click where it says "start new thread"

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 282
Indeed Danman, I tend to stay out of threads unless I can comment from experience - not from reading reviews. I don't slate other peoples' equipment for the sake of it. I like the Nad sound and I'm happy with it. The more expensive kit has better low end reproduction but the overall sound is less pleasing to my ears. Maybe one day Nad will manufacture THE amp for me but until then I'm happy enough with my kit.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 506
Same with me!

nout
Unregistered guest
nothing ever sounds as good as what we own!!!!hihi! That, however, is a good attitude to have because it seems most people here are never happy! Most will downplay other peoples gear though!

I agree, it amazes me how often people on audio forums change equipment or ask questions about upgrading when their new amp is only 3 months old...and still claiming that all that matters is music, music first...????

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 286
Yep, unless a piece of new kit sounds positively awful (but then it wouldn't because I'd try it out before buying) then I'd keep it until a) it broke b) I got bored or c) I came into some money and there was something out there that I liked better. Option b) usually involves option c) anyway!

Unregistered guest
......"most people are never happy"...... I have to say that I am a huge fan of the big NADs - I have a 319 and a 370 in a biamp setup, but use just their power stages (it's cheaper to buy them integrated than as power amps - why?) with a Yamaha DSP E800 as a pre amp....and I am very happy with that combination! Until it breaks it will do me just fine.......

Username: Nallyvaico

KievUkraine

Post Number: 1
I read in the NAD C352 specifications on their site that they "had just upgraded their Class A pre-amp".

Is the C352 a Class A amp? What is the C320bee then - Class AB? I am a bit confused...

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 292
Class A PREAMP, not the power amp. The Nad integrated amplifiers are not class A (none of them.)

Username: Nallyvaico

KievUkraine

Post Number: 2
Right. I understand th 320bee's preamp is Class AB, 352 and 372 of Class A. Am I correct?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 294
Most pre-amps are Class A, the C320BEE's too if I'm not mistaken. The pre-amps across the entire Nad 'classic' series line will be very similar if not identical, it's the power stages that are different.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us