Klipsch RF-35 and RF-5

Anonymous

Hi there,

I am a newbie and have been contemplating for a couple of months to buy a pair of floor-standing speakers to hook up with my H/K 7200. It seems that people on this board have been recommending Klipsch RF-35 or RF-5 for a H/K receiver. Does anybody have experience with both of the speakers? A pair of RF-5 costs about $200 more than a pair of RF-35. Does the difference in performance justify this premium? Or would I be better off to go with the RF-35 and use the money saved to buy a RC-35? How about the new RVX speakers?

Any input be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 234
Depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which is how discerning your tastes are. How much music listening will you be doing with this system versus HT? What are your tastes in music? Have you listened to either speaker (very important)?

As for the RVX, not in the same league IMO.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
The above poster brings up some very good questions. Generally speaking you are pairing a warm sounding receiver with some of the brightest speakers on the market so that would probably be about the best receiver brand for Klipsch IMO. They are too bright for my taste, especially for music but your taste might be different. My Klipsch dealer has always paired them with Denon receivers over the years and it usually drives me out of the showroom after a short time. Hope your Klipsch dealer has more sense than mine.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1344
I agree that it's very important that you listen to Klipsch speakers before you buy them. The only Reference series I ever heard were in a huge showroom and they weren't spaced apart enough and weren't setup correctly. They were also only RF-10's. I thought they were bright and sounded like "horns". The thing is I have speakers from the Heritage line (La Scala and Klipschorn) and they don't sound like "horns" nor are they "bright" but rather detailed and revealing. But I don't know where the cutoff occurs between the ordinary and the very good. At the RF-35? RF-5? RF-7? I don't know. :-(

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1345
It also could be that the RF-10 would sound good correctly placed in a proper room!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 773
That brightness can be tamed,and they can sound very good indeed,I've heard them on Nads and they sound quite good,and I have heard them on several occasions.I heard the Klipschacorns on Nad 270s mono blocked running thru a Cary tubed preamp and was blown away some of the best sounds I've heard to date.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 237
Heck I think even the lower end Synergy's are getting pretty good these days. Not quite to the standards of the Reference in terms of build and sound quality, but much improved over what they were.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 775
Yeah the new Klipsch are good and have really improved on brightness,I must admit Im rather fond of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 46
I have the RF-35's and I run them off of a Pioneer vsx-d811s. I don't do any real critical listening to music. I more have it on while i'm doing something around the house, and I like the sound of them a lot. When I have sat down and just listened to the music i tend to keep inching the volume down a little bit after some time. Of course i was probably listening too loud for my room anyhow.
As far as HT goes, I think that they sound great. Infact we have only been to the movie theater twice in the 1-1/2 to 2yrs I've had the speakers.
I didn't listen to the RF-5's though, so you'll have to be the judge as to if the $ is worth it. I know the difference from the RF-15's to the RF35's was huge. 15's were very bright and almost painful.

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for all your input. Greatly appreciated.

Another question: anyone knows any place in NYC other than J&R where I could audit those speakers? I went to J&R the other day and the two sets of speakers were in two rooms and they were also hooked up with Sony and Denon receivers. The salesman refused to connect them with a H/K receiver when I asked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us